Sanctioned Hybrid Paddles

I have always found the issue concerning race rules for "traditional canoes" interesting. One topic similar to this is the issue of the traditional paddle. I believe a OHCRA legal paddle has to have a wood shaft and a wood core in the blade. Hybrid paddles that use a wood core in the blade are legal even though the wood component ( usuallly balsa) is paper thin and is more symbolic then anything else. I also note that there are a lot of hybrid paddles in use that do not have the wood in the blade. I guess in the OHCRA sanctioned regatta and long distance races the canoe could be disqualified because "illegal" paddles are in use. Is this rule ever enforced ? Why is it still on the books when hybrid paddles are pretty far from being "traditional" ? Does the rule apply to Molokai ( if it does...a lot of mainland crews don't know about it).? Just wondering.

Submitted by poidog on Sun, 09/12/2010 - 11:30am

i hear the jeopardy jingle playing.

#1 Sun, 09/12/2010 - 3:12pm

I wouldn't even worry about it. It's not so much the paddle it's about the paddler or paddlers , paddling together. But if they really wanted to enforce such a rule the simple thing is everyone use wood paddles period.
just have fun and a good workout.

#2 Mon, 09/13/2010 - 6:19am

I wonder about that myself poidog ...

The grips too ..

For all practical purposes, Most Hybrids ARE carbon blades ... So IMO they are doing as much 'damage' to the koas and tradition as any Full Carbon paddle so why not let any kind of paddle construction be used ?

Shoots, I wondered if a carbon wrapped ( "for support" ) balsa shaft would raise any eyebrows earlier this year. I did not do it to the couple balsa paddles I did this season for fear of them (and my wife's team ) being singled out.

aloha,
pog

#3 Mon, 09/13/2010 - 9:13pm

wood paddles rule... lol!

#4 Tue, 09/14/2010 - 12:08pm

Well, either they should "RULE" under the rules or not ( as in anything goes ) IMHO.

aloha,
pog

#5 Tue, 09/14/2010 - 12:27pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.232 seconds.