Seat height

This is a question that's been bugging me for a while. From my first OC1 10 yrs ago or so..to my most recent canoe, I've noticed that the seats have been getting progressively lower..being built into the canoe rather on top. With my newer canoes, I've been building up the seat area AND angling it such that it sits higher in the back..and lower in the front. This seems to work best for my aching back and leg pain during long runs. What's the advantage of being lower to the water line except balance issues? I've always like the feel of being able to get up and over the paddle with a top hand drive at the catch. Is this not a big issue?

Submitted by drewp on Sun, 06/06/2010 - 4:08am

I would guess for your body to pull toward itself it would be easier the more parallel to what your pulling, to you than lower down. the closer to the water the closer to your work. But one of the things I like about the Vaa is you legs are under you and less constrained. As for my aching lower back I work on my core with exercises ect. the new canoes have so much control with hips , not sure how they did that but you gotta love it.

#1 Sun, 06/06/2010 - 5:12am

It's compensated for by the paddle being planted deeper in the water as you approach hip area. The paddle is progressively seeking out new water to hold onto as you progress through the stroke much like a swimmer does. That's my understanding of it and what i've always been taught to do when using the paddle as a lever.

R

#2 Sun, 06/06/2010 - 11:48am

The basic issue for most of us is that there are very limited standard adjustments to the canoes. The simple seat forward and aft adjustment helps some body positional issues but without foot pedal proportional movement the boats trim is effected by our weight. We can change paddle lengths when we sit low or high in a canoe or as you note drewp we can rig up a seat raise.
Our varied degrees of flexibility about the torso and hips may be aided or hindered by being closer to the water and as we are not symmetrical, being confined to a symmetrical boat / position also can stress our bodies with many hrs on the water.
On my Zephyr I custom shaped the foam seat from a blank seat (OC Block of foam) to sit me up about 1 inch higher and cut off about 4 inches of the front of the foam. For sprint / interval work I have the seat forward to help with the trim and leg drive. On longer 2 hr sessions I move the seat back and raise it with a foam shim under the foam seat at the back to get the increased pelvic tilt and slight raise which for me eases low back fatigue and tension a little.
Experimenting in the off-season helps find your position.

#3 Tue, 06/08/2010 - 12:47pm

"On longer 2 hr sessions I move the seat back and raise it with a foam shim under the foam seat at the back to get the increased pelvic tilt and slight raise which for me eases low back fatigue and tension a little."

I've heard this can be beneficial. Does it really make a difference to sit 'downhill'? How high did you raise the seat & what method do you use to keep the shim in place ?

#4 Tue, 06/08/2010 - 3:19pm

hasto.. It really is not a downhill position but helps tilt the pelvis forward. I raise about 1 inch with a foam called evazote which is like the foam used for camping to pad the ground. REI or MEC sells it online. I use the same velcro the seat uses and match up where I want the seat to be. The other thing to think about on an older seats is that seat foams are generally always under a state of compression. They compress easier when heated ie on a hot day, Runners and beach slippers have the same issue. So some of the add on may simply be getting the seat back to the height it was 3-5 yrs ago when the canoe was new.

#5 Wed, 06/09/2010 - 7:01am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.175 seconds.