Shipping on Young Brothers???

What is the best way to ship an OC1 interisland?
How do you prep the boat? Wrap it? Can you get insurance?

Mahalo

Submitted by kimohanalei on Wed, 01/27/2010 - 10:57am

I know this doesnt help but I just gotta say it....... if still had the super ferry I would do the Maliko Race next week!

#1 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 12:30pm

If it makes you feel better I heard that the super ferry is in Haiti helping with the relief efforts

#2 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 7:58pm

The best way that I know is to:
Pad the two high spots on the deck (likely where the 'iakos go in) and pad the ends, then when you go to Young Brothers ask for a flat rack with a metal grate (sometimes they'll say okay and sometimes they'll bring you a wood one). If you get the grated one, it's super easy. You just put it upside down so that it rests on the pads, and then you strap it through the grate. If you get a wood rack you have to strap it all the way across.

#3 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 8:34pm

Mahalo for the info Luke

#4 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 10:39am

are you going to ship alot-meaning are you a serious paddler doing all of the neighbor island or channel races? if so, save lots of time and money by investing in a padded shipping bag and padded shipping belts from Hawaiian Canoe Canvas (http://www.hawaiiancanoecanvas.com). Their bags are custom fit for each style of canoe, are super padded and fit the hull and ama really snugly. It is a bit pricey($600), but makes sense if you are going neighbor island alot, or if you want to reduce the amount of fossil fuels wasted in the manufacture of bubble wrap....

#5 Tue, 02/16/2010 - 3:25pm

Usually, I just fill out the Bill of Landing, tape pads fore and aft, "palletize" em for fork lift pick up, and keep my fingers crossed. Usually arrive safe with salt all ovah. Best to not cover and suffer heat damage. Bubble wrap will magnify the sun rays.

#6 Thu, 02/18/2010 - 11:54pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.176 seconds.