States and OHCRA season photos

Have a number of photos of Saturday's States as well as the past OHCRA sprint season. Ropati will pick some of these for Pacific Paddler. I get a few requests for copies so for any of you guys that are interested, you can check'em out on my photo sharing site (pekelo.smugmug.com) and order prints if you want any of them. Aloha, Pete.

Submitted by pekelo on Tue, 08/10/2010 - 12:07pm

I heard a rumor today that Kailua actually won the regatta? There was supposedly a mix up with the placing of kailuas novice b's. anyone know if this is true?

#1 Tue, 08/10/2010 - 5:01pm

I heard that two inscriptions on the manus were mixed up '3b' and '36'; I thought it was a youth team. Not sure why there was no official review requested.

Someone said that start and finish photos/videos would be posted on HRCA website - is that so ?

#2 Wed, 08/11/2010 - 6:26am

Which Novice B event are you talking about?

Club number 36 is Napili Canoe Club of Maui. Napili borrows Hawaiian Canoe Club's canoes, Pahili Kiu for quarter miles and Kokololio of half miles, during the State Championships. Both canoes have very distinct blue and white sun burst on the manu with the number 31 is over it in pink. Napili then puts on a pink sock with the number 36 on it. While is it possible to get Kailua's 3b mixed up with 36, I find pretty unlikely.

Further, Napili's mix nov b crew finished 7th, Kailua 10th. Kailua was about 3 sec behind Napili, which is a little big considering all of the EXTREMELY close finishes at States.
Napili had no entry in Men Nov B. No mixing up 3b with 36 possible in that event.

Given all of this, Kailua still looses by one point, which is VERYYYYYYYY close after 39 events.

#3 Tue, 08/10/2010 - 9:29pm

Interesting fact: clubs started to color the manu to make sure that they could be seen well at the finish.

I was very impressed by Lanikai's win - master class in strategy.

#4 Tue, 08/10/2010 - 10:59pm

equally impressed with Keahou's 10 medal count with only 19 events entered.

#5 Tue, 08/10/2010 - 10:39pm

Finish photos are on HCRA's website. There's a little camera icon by each race results that will take you to it.

#6 Wed, 08/11/2010 - 4:35am

Aukina3 and Eck,

Interesting you mentioned that. I hadn't heard anything about the mixup since about an hour after the race. I thought everyone had moved on to "oh well".

I was in the Kailua mixed novice boat. The crew and our team on the beach was sure we weren't 1-3rd place. Those finish spots were very obvious. The next group of finishers i heard were hard to make out. We all thought we were somewhere in 4-8th place group - a lot of boats crossed pretty close at that point. But 10, well that was another pretty obvious finish spot, a few seconds behind the pack. We were all pretty sure that wasn't us.

Oh well, wish I coulda been on the beach to watch it.

#7 Thu, 08/12/2010 - 10:52am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.176 seconds.