Steering an OC-6 for Newbies

Howdy everyone -

I've browsed for OC-6 steering topics and can't find much on here --

We are a small dragon boating and outrigger community in Charleston, SC that has recently gotten a hold of an OC-6.
We are taking her down to Treasure Island in a few weeks and I need some steering advice. There is no one around who can give me better pointers than what I have researched online, so if anyone has advice for me, I would really appreciate it.

I can steer her just fine and straight WITHOUT paddling, but I'm sure anyone with a sense of water can do that...
So here are my questions:

How often should the steersperson be paddling, on a whole? 50% of the race (13 miles) I would think? I would prefer to be paddling as much as possible, if not the entire distance less big maneuvers. I ordered a FoxWorx steering blade, it's a big one - the Holopuni Classic - http://www.foxworxpaddle.com/zencart1/index.php?main_page=product_info&c... - we're probably never going to going to get in weather that the paddle is geared for, but the seller claimed it would be ideal for calm waters with slight ocean outtings (2 foot swells, max) and it was a cheap buy.

I am finding that in certain situations one steering adjustment will work, yet, when attempting it again, it won't (I will paddle to the left, outwards in attempt to steer us back right slightly while paddling and it will work, however, next go around, it will just increase the speed of the left turn verses turn the bow right as it previously did). I assume situations arise like this depending on heading into the current or with and if my 2 paddlers are perhaps on the opposite side as before.

I've read a fair amount about steering, only found 1 or 2 videos of people actually doing it online - does anyone have any helpful links?

Thanks everyone!

Paddles up...

Submitted by plemp54 on Fri, 10/01/2010 - 8:53am

Plemp,

for reading ... http://www.kanuculture.com/steerers-book-intro/

aloha,
pog

#2 Fri, 10/01/2010 - 10:34am

Here are a couple of tips that my Novice coach passed on to me,

1- A good way to start off is working a pattern of Poke 2 Stroke 3. In calm seas, the strokes on the same side as pokes will offset each other and keep you traveling (mostly ;-) straight.

2- Be mindful of the wind direction, the boat will always pull into the wind (or swell).
For example, if the wind is blowing hard at your hull side (right) then the canoe will tend to drift to the right - the steersmen will want to poke-left more often to counteract this.

3- Practice your huli drills before venturing too far offshore.

A hui hoe!

#3 Fri, 10/01/2010 - 11:27am

If you are just learning you will poke more than paddle, paddling more comes with experience. Conditions, crew set up and rigging will all be factors in this. When I was first learning to steer a very experienced waterman told me to just let the boat run (no poke, no paddle) and count how many of the crews strokes I could go with out correction (just briefly in practice). Use this for a base line and work up to more strokes without poking but never forget your primary job is to steer.

#4 Fri, 10/01/2010 - 11:57am

Many thanks to everyone (including the personal messages) -

Peter

#5 Fri, 10/01/2010 - 4:50pm

keep the boat straight

#6 Sun, 10/03/2010 - 8:38pm

Hi Peter,

I have been steeering for our Clearwater club for a number of years and will be happy to give you some pointers when you are down for the Treasure Island race. Just give me a shout when you get down to the race site and we can possibly do some drills.

Jean

#7 Mon, 10/04/2010 - 1:48pm

If the boat is already beginning to turn in one direction (left) it may take a poke (on the right) or a hard draw stroke (on the left) to stop that turning momentum. As you pointed out, paddling on the left without stopping the turn first may not be enough to counteract the turn in progress. Remember that the canoe will always naturally want to turn to the left because of the ama on the water.

A very large part of steering is anticipating what the canoe will do and using subtle moves to keep the boat going where you want it to. Don't be overly concerned with keeping a perfectly straight line but work on causing less friction and turbulence to the forward motion of the canoe.

There are a ton of outrigger videos on youtube including many of the Tahitian teams training that show experienced steersmen doing their thing.

Have fun.

#8 Tue, 10/05/2010 - 7:46pm

Mahalo nui!

#9 Fri, 10/08/2010 - 10:39am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.153 seconds.