Stingray OC2

Hi,
we have a problem to fix the front-iako in the hull, although we have drawn the screws hard, nevertheless the iakos dissolve. It couold be verry unpleasantly... Have somebody also this problem or know about it?
problem resolution?
Thanks
Olaf
Germany

Submitted by Olaf OC on Mon, 04/05/2010 - 11:22pm

It sounds like there is not enough friction for the screw to hold the iako. If they are aluminum you can rough up the area that the screw hits with some 80 grit sand paper and this can reduce the slow slipping without over tightening the screw...

#1 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 7:41am

You may have lost the carbon flap inside the iako tube. The screw presses down on a piece of carbon in the iako receiving tube and it is that carbon flap that creates pressure on the iako to hold it in place.

Look inside the tube and you should see a piece of carbon moving as you twist the screw. If you don't see a flap, that is the problem as the screw alone is not able to hold the iako in place.

Be careful not to over tighten the screw. If you over tighten the screw without the iako in, you can break the carbon flap. If you over tighten the screw with the iako in place, you can break the canoe by popping the screw mount right out of the boat (I've seen it happen).

#2 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:02am

thank you,
the flap is okay...
I rough up the area inside and outside with sandpaper, hope its enough., but I´m not realy sure if we paddle in hard conditions...
Perhaps anybody have the same problem with a probate resolution.

#3 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 9:11am

On some of the new Outrigger Connection canoes here in Hawaii, they have been putting a small piece of 3M rubberized non-slip tape on that carbon flap for the iako in the hull. This helps in not having to over-tighten the screws and still provide enough grip that keeps the iakos from slipping out. They only put a piece 10mm x 20mm and it's enough. Anything wider and the iako won't go in.

It's similar to the rubberized grey grip tape some people use on the steering blades. Or those non-slip strip tape used in showers/bathtubs.

West Marine or any other boating store will have it.

http://shop.pinbax.com/index.asp?selection=detailed&uid=32362

#4 Wed, 04/07/2010 - 3:22am

I want to change the seats on my OC2 stingray to a generic seat. The tie down slips and the seat moves in the factory condition. Does anyone know where i can get generic seats? Mahalo

#5 Sat, 05/05/2012 - 12:15pm

ALSO...I am short and my husband is tall and I steer from the rear. It is not interchangeable. How can I make an adjustment to my short size outside of scooting up? If I scoot up it feels like too much weight is up front or in the middle? Mahalo

#6 Sat, 05/05/2012 - 12:17pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.211 seconds.