Strength Training

Any thoughts on weight training/strength training. Workouts/schedules/weekly/monthly. in season off season.
Are there any earlier threads.

Submitted by kimohanalei on Tue, 11/09/2010 - 5:38pm

www.crossfit.com

#1 Tue, 11/09/2010 - 11:16pm

Being stronger is always a good thing, periodization is crucial to long term success, and lifting heavy shit is fun.

There are a ton of resources online covering barbell training, Olympic lifting and body weight strength training (think gymnastics stuff like levers, handstands, etc). If you go the barbell or Olympic lift route, find a good coach to teach you the lifts. Bodyweight stuff you can probably get by without a coach for a lot of it.

#2 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 5:41am

Don't forget to run.

#3 Thu, 11/11/2010 - 2:35pm

@kruse crossfit.com is such a great tool and its free too.

@Anowara hit the nail on the head. The body weight stuff is great for you and you really should have someone show you the proper way to do most lifts. Can't express enough how often injuries occur an in turn "bad mouthing lifting heavy weights" comes from when people with little to no lifting experience try and lift improperly. Get a coach or someone with some knowledge to teach you first. But there is nothin wrong with picking up a heavy weight, and for women too. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/female_athletes.htm

@KoK running is an amazing way to keep the cardio good, and if you got bad knees try swimming.

#4 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 2:25pm

From personal experience if I'm paddling alot, training for eono (long endurance), crossfit does NOT work for me. This is just for me. Everyone responds differently. I can only speak from my experience that crossfit with a lot of hours in the canoe did not mix well.

I have been advised by people much more knowledgeable that strength training should be just that. Strength training. Muscles should be allowed to have adequate recovery between sets and movements should be very controlled. Lifting work should include explosive movements as well as deliberate movements during the working phase of each exercise. But in any case a strength workout should concentrate on your strength systems and not so much your other bodily systems.

The above statements could be totally wrong due to by limited knowledge on training. Best to ask a real conditioning coach. I only speak from personal experience. I do know people who crossfit and they are in great shape. But if your focus is on long marathon type endurance events I'm not toally sold on it.

#5 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 4:09pm

crossfit is good for specific conditioning. Each WOD( workout of the day) is geared twords different targets, wrestling,swim comp,comp. weight lifting ECT...

Best easy tool Ive ever purchased is a simulated snorkel mouth piece with a resistance valve. Has the mouth piece of a snorkel to improve air-to-O2 conditioning. I use it while in traffic or in my office. Sounds weird, but with that alone, I noticed my stamina improve while on the water & alot more calm when swimming got my board in surf or even tipping over.

A work out/strength training should be targeted specifically for your need. A ton of targeted work outs plans online. & if intrested, there is a certified crossfit trainer in Kailua for reasonable price.

#6 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 3:12pm

@jc9_0- check this site out. http://www.crossfitendurance.com/
How long were you doing crossfit for in your training?

To talk about the idea that strengthening should be just that, why? What is wrong with the notion that you can be strengthening your muscles through a high intensity anaerobic workout. Through this process you will be able to push harder longer, right? You are lifting through anaerobic process ie without oxygen, you will get stronger. There are days in crossfit that you will do individual lifts, finding your max, 3 rep, 5 rep max. But the idea is that you are trying to increase your work capacity across a broad time and model domain.

I don't disagree with the idea that movements should be controlled and the weight loads should be scaled to each individual. Speed is a necessary component to proficiency, or rather I can type 300 words a minute but I will have 250 misspelled words, where as Julie only type 30 words per minute with no mistakes. I'm moving faster but I'm very inefficient, Julie is very efficient but not very proficient. "Lifting work should include explosive movements as well as deliberate movements during the working phase of each exercise." that is essentially what your doing in crossfit.

To the comment on strength for just strength, how does that help in paddling where you are repeatedly stroking with the same movement. The high intensity volume of work allows your muscles to push your metabolic threshold higher which in turn allows you to go harder longer. With lifting pushing the metabolic threshold also allows the muscles to strengthen.

#7 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 8:36pm

Like I said. Crossfit didn't work for me. Period. Everyone is different. I had an entire plan mapped out for me that included paddling, running or swimming, and lifting. It did not include crossfit. As I said, this was my experience. Nothing else.

Enjoy those metcounts.

#8 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 9:52pm

wonder how many Tahitians or the Primo rockstars do crossfit in the offseason.. :)

#9 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 10:44pm

"Off Season!!" What's that? Do you mean a lousy year of paddling? To remain competitive at that level means year round training, for there's no substitute for being on the water.

#10 Sat, 11/13/2010 - 8:52pm

A guy who was doing his PhD in Exercise Science told me a few things when I was discussing how to program training for paddling impovement.
1st - Decide what it is you are trying to improve. Max strength, strength endurance, aerobic power, AT, VO2Max, flexibility, mobility, strength at a particular part of your range of motion etc.

2nd - Remember general training will give you general results - specific training will achieve specific results. If you want to have a higher max strength in a particular range of movement, the maximum results in the shortest posible time will be achieved by training heavy weights in specific strength program. Most activities will give you some overflow to other areas of fitness but you gotta be specific. If you want to improve your RM1 you gotta do sets of 2 or 3 at 95% of your RM1 (yes I know Im generalising here). It wont improve much doing chin ups and push ups and dips.

3rd - Inteligent testing will show you where your weaknesses lie. (you gotta ask the right questions to get the right answers) Then target your training to work on your weeknesses or build on your strengths.

4th - there is all kinds of "Fitness" and like canoes, everything is a trade off in different conditions. Some really strong guys just have not got the skill or the coordination to go fast. Some weak guys can go amazingly fast because they apply what they got efficiently.

#11 Sun, 11/14/2010 - 3:24pm

I arranged a workout routine before. These are different aerobic and anaerobic routines.

Anaerobic 1: Machines: Lat Pull down; works Latissimus Dorsi back muscle, seated shoulder press (with dumbbells); works anterior/lateral deltoid shoulder muscles and the Trapezius muscle. Dumbbell bicep curls, dumbbell tricep curls, dumbbell Pectorallis major flys. (in your own order)

Anaerobic 2: Dumbbell pectoralis major flys, seated shoulder presses(with dumbbells), Pull ups (using back muscles more than biceps), Abdominal bench doing sit ups(with weight or/and incline if you can), Plank exercise(abs), V ups(oblique muscles), and reverse bicycle(abs).

Aerobic 1: Assuming you know where Lanikai loop is, run one lap at a moderate pace around the loop (2.8miles). While in the gym, cycle at a moderate-hard resistance level for about 4 miles and assure that your heart rate is at an aerobic pace. If you are not in the gym, swim for 20 minutes at a good aerobic pace.
'

#12 Mon, 11/15/2010 - 12:52pm

Aerobic boxing training and circuits for super high velocity cardio and cross train on SUP for strength.

I often tell people that paddling a SUP is like paddling a 6 man in shallow water for a whole session. Not the slow, squatting goofy kind of flat water cruising, DW paddles in the ocean or in out through the surf on race specific boards.

I know a few people whose times reduced on OC1 after taking a break and paddling SUP for a while. It's not a novelty, it's not going away and Outrigging and SUP racing really complement each other in so many ways.

#13 Mon, 11/15/2010 - 1:22pm

In my own thoughts about this, I do agree wit jc9 everyone is different and will develop different but training itself is all general. To me stregnth training can only help you unless you are doing it all wrong but it won't make you slower. OFF SEASON- this is wen u r not racing, this is wen u build your base and basic stregnth training is required in this part of your program and should b from 8-12 weeks. Yes there are races happening all year round but that shouldn't be your priority unless that race is what you trained for but you pick your races you want to do and then u train for it the process of your training will determine the type of stregnth training you do Tpoppler hit those points on his post. So its jus what type of stregnth training you do at each phase of your program it will go from Maxing out to circuit with lot of reps to resistance training

Anyone who paddles oc6 will benefit from stregnth training programs jus cause you can oc1 fast doesn't mean you can pull the oc6 in the same manner most you got to be strong to pull 400lbs plus everyone elses weight in the boat.

#14 Mon, 11/15/2010 - 1:44pm

#15 Mon, 11/15/2010 - 9:58pm

Crossfit is good,
Focus on Crosstraining should be structural integrity of supporting muscle groups for paddling, to prevent avoid injury.

Since majority of paddling one is somewhat forward flexed and bent over.
Focus should be placed on EXTENSION strength. NAd hip/ back flexibility, when hip flexors are shortened it pulls pelvis forward placing more strain on lower back decreasing rotaional ability and overall paddling strength.

Mid back postural & core musclular developement, Rotator cuff exercises are critical in preventing shoulder injury.
Mid back ( scapular area- shoulderbaldes upper back muscles) are important to support the mechanics of your stroke.
Lower back strength and CONTROLLED rotational core exercise to support rotation, mobility & strength required for paddling.

Remember the More muscle size you build the more anatomical barriers you may create.
Increase muscle size = decrease mobility= decrease range of motion.
same goes for increase range of motion= increase mobility =decrease in stability.

#16 Sun, 07/24/2011 - 5:08am

Strength training? All that comes to my mind are the good old days of Rex, Timmy, and Mit's gyms in Honolulu. Them guys were way ahead of the times.

#17 Sun, 07/24/2011 - 9:55pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.221 seconds.