Super Aito 2010

Super Aito Started today.
Check out Simeon Ke-Paloma repin' Hawaii. He did pretty good in the opening day... looks like top half I think.
The second day is tomorrow (Saturday).
Article and results in French will be on vaatahiti.com
English article to be posted on maoliwaa.com

Submitted by Kapono Ciotti on Fri, 08/13/2010 - 11:16pm

Results from the prologue are up on ftvaa.pf plus some pictures.

Men
Top five are Yoann Cronsteadt, Taaroa Dubois, Mauntea Owen, Torinetia Tere, and Georges Cronsteadt.
Simeon Ke-Paloma is 65th.

Times are pretty tight however, fastest time is 57 minutes 21.99 seconds and slowest is about 1 hour 8 minutes.

Women
Quite a bit fewer women competing. Top three are Hinatea Bernardino, MargueriteTemainana, and Emili Janchevis.

Today is the crossing (there and back) between Toa'ta and Moorea.

edit: fixed links

#1 Sat, 08/14/2010 - 4:29pm

and then?

#2 Sat, 08/14/2010 - 3:42pm

The depth of the field is incredible.

#3 Sat, 08/14/2010 - 5:18pm

The third stage started at 2 PM Hawai'i time so it should be done by now. Just waiting on results to be posted. ftvaa.pf seems to be the fastest, but there's probably a newspaper that will post something as well.

#4 Sat, 08/14/2010 - 6:04pm

complete results

#5 Sat, 08/14/2010 - 8:06pm

Where's Tahititan689? Hopefully he'll have some video for us soon…

#6 Sun, 08/15/2010 - 2:42am

It's a shame how much of a mess the following boats made. Look at Taaroa Dubois getting caught up in the action and breaking his carbon fiber iato. He went from 2nd place in the 2nd stage to not even being there at all...
I think it would have been better keeping the race between Tahiti and Moorea. More room for the paddlers, less fighting with the spectator boats getting in the way...
Was surprised to not see Yoann on the podium. Apparently, all that mess slowed him down a bit. Congrats to Steeve though!

#7 Sun, 08/15/2010 - 11:11am

the race course didn't go between Tahiti and Moorea? was it changed last minute?

#8 Sun, 08/15/2010 - 11:30am

Yes.... they decided to change the race course less than 1 hour before the women's start. They were saying it was because the weather..... it would be too windy for the men to come back..... So we had to paddle for more than 1 hour up wind and against the surf, and more then 1 hour inside the lagoon with no wind and against the current. It sucked! (that was the 2nd leg, same thing for men and women). The 3rd leg for the men was from Papeete to Mahina, pretty much same thing as Te Aito.

#9 Mon, 08/16/2010 - 9:09am

Great job Emili and Simeon, not an easy task to compete against Tahiti's (for that matter, the worlds best) best paddlers not really knowing the course or conditions. By the way will there be any coverage for us to purchase?

Carlton

#10 Mon, 08/16/2010 - 9:50am

Hi Carlton,

I've seen Tahitian689 over there filming, and he told me he filmed Te Aito as well, but I don't know if he will make DVDs to sell. I sent him an e-mail and I'm waiting for answer. I asked him to post something here (ocpaddler) if he makes DVDs with all the info for people to buy them. Let's see what happens now......
He told me that he's been taking pics too now....
Maybe he will make a site or something?!!!! Who knows....

Thank you Carlton!

AND I WANT TO THANK EVERYBODY THAT CHIPPED IN TO HELP ME TO COME TO TAHITI AND COMPETE!
I raised most of the money that I need, and here I am! Thank you for your support!!! You made it happen =)

#11 Tue, 08/17/2010 - 8:00am

Hello all!

And hello Fai Are Va'a. I am actually the owner of Fai Va'a. Even though I wish I could have had your username, I am glad to see you are a supporter of our team!

Just as you said, the race between Papeete and Moorea was changed to Papeete Taapuna Papeete Pointe Venus so a lot of the race was inside the lagoon. We were looking forward to do the channel crossing as to get some big surf instead we had too many small boats following the race and when there are a couple of hundred boats getting mixed up with the va'as, the race got a bit spoiled for many except for the 3 va'a s who where leading (since what happens is that all the small boats get behind the 3 leaders and block off the rest who are following which gives them not much chances of breaking through). It is unfortunate but it is what it is.

We were very proud of Emili! She ended up riding one of our va'a (the ARE model) and she battled through all the race. She definitely holds her own between the tahitian women! I truly thought she had a very good shot at it. I am sure that if she persists, she will get it for sure.

Tahitian 689 was filming so I assume he will have the footage on DVD at some point or another.

#12 Fri, 08/27/2010 - 3:22pm

footage on DVD

#13 Wed, 11/17/2010 - 7:22pm

where can one get this video. my 2009 version has actually worn out.

#14 Wed, 11/17/2010 - 8:33pm

Too cool! I want a copy.

#15 Wed, 11/17/2010 - 9:11pm

Fortunate enough to purchase the 2010 Te Aito and Super Aito DVD's while in Papeete. Pretty sick footage and Tahitian689 is getting really good at capturing the drama and bringing out the emotion of racing. JCniner, I'll let you borrow, only if you promise to bring it back within the year!

Carlton

#16 Thu, 11/18/2010 - 8:25am

Bamskii, I'll be calling you today.

#17 Thu, 11/18/2010 - 9:05am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.225 seconds.