Surf Canoe Rigging

I've consistently rigged my offshore 4-man canoe w/ snaplashes (iako to hull) and cord (ama to iako). Last year, in bigger surf, the ama got torqued and cracked on top where attached to iako. This year I think I'm going to use rubbers for ama to hull AND I'd like to use them for iako to ama also. I really think it would take up a lot of the stress when surfing and torsional forces are applied. My ama is a channel master type with the two rigging holes. I suppose I would have to cut thin strips of rubber to do this and I'm not sure if I could make the rigging tight enough to not twist around. Any ideas? Or should I just stay with the cord?

Submitted by drewp on Wed, 03/31/2010 - 2:28pm

Just make sure you rig your ama to which ever side the wave is breaking (like right side for Makaha, etc.).

#1 Wed, 03/31/2010 - 4:52pm

do not use only rubber for ama to iako. it will not work. we tried it at makaha and we lost. one of the very few times we've lost. hee hee!

#2 Thu, 04/01/2010 - 9:08pm

Yea, I didn't think it would work. I'm trying to think of some kind of cord or line (maybe like a "leash" cord, surgical tubing, or something that could be wrapped tight...but would maybe then give a little if the ama and iako are torqued. I'll just have to experiment this summer.

#3 Fri, 04/02/2010 - 2:45am

If the ama cracked where it is attached to the iako, then the problem is the ama was not strong enough at that point to handle the stress. Why don't you consider adding more fiberglass to the weak points now that you know where they are. Continue to use the cord. Nothing else is going to work better.

#4 Fri, 04/02/2010 - 8:01am

I've had no problems with rigging ama to iako with just rubber. Usually 4 to 6 bicycle inner tubes stretched tight does the trick. If it's not really big, 3 to 4 do the trick, I have an OC Makaha with the surfing ama which has tabs on the front where ama ans iako meet and a bridge on the back. For iako to wai, quick rig straps work great. If it's big we put a rope from the Manu to the ama so it doesn't get torqued backwards on the drop or wipeouts.
Good luck!

#5 Fri, 04/02/2010 - 8:09am

you can use rubber for everything if you want But, if possible rigg the ama with rope and theinside iako's rigg with rubber. this will keep your outside rigging secure while the rubber on hte inside will offer a little play allowing the iakos to shift a little instead of just snapping. if you use tie down straps inside Watch out for the buckles, i butterflied my knee open on one. all in all if you can secure the ama tightly with rubber its perfectly fine. the object is to be secure and still have a little give. that way it wont break lata

#6 Fri, 04/02/2010 - 8:22am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.188 seconds.