Sweet water vs salt for canoe choices

As OC1 canoes have increased in their popularity and manufactures are making more hulls specific to paddler size / weight as well as ride conditions has anyone noted benefits in various types of water itself.

Submitted by Just Paddle on Thu, 03/18/2010 - 11:15am

Yeah. Fresh-water blows.

#1 Thu, 03/18/2010 - 11:36am

Way to go Just,

whenever it gets quiet you can be counted on to ask a simple question that'll get everybody fired up!

goto, Oh Yeah?! my water may be mind-numbingly boring, but at least least there's less fecal matter, and I actually enjoy swimming in it. Plus my boat comes off the water already rinsed.... I'm joking, by the way. You're funnier and meaner (and faster) than me, so go easy....

donM
Penticton (4 minutes away from fresh water, 4 hours away from salt....)

#2 Thu, 03/18/2010 - 12:28pm

My Oc1 sneaks off when i fetch the hose.....

R

#3 Thu, 03/18/2010 - 4:24pm

You definitely float higher in salt. And Rambo is full of shizenhouzen, he has paddled his fair share of fresh water over the years, he just won't admit it!!!! You have to work harder on the river, it just feels heavier.

#4 Thu, 03/18/2010 - 9:22pm

Clarkie,

I need a translation and guide to pronounce for this word that you use there. Origin if you have, please.

I fear the worst.

#5 Fri, 03/19/2010 - 12:35am

Eckhart, you will have to sit through a few old episodes of Get Smart! Whilst the origin maybe loosely based on German language once it has been americanised and australianised it may have little to do with anything, suffice to say sometimes Rambo is full of it, sometimes he just unloads it, other times he throws it, and the rest of the time stands kneedeep in it.

Sorry Cecil, now I am talking it! haha.

#6 Fri, 03/19/2010 - 1:08am

Sorry to interrupt here, but it sounds like someone (rambo) is full of "shithouse" and not in the correct tense either. I have spent a bit of time in the swiss areas and I have to side with eckhart... a bit confusing. But at the same time I have spent some time in the "sheissenhaus" myself. Not a good place to sleep. Haha..

#7 Fri, 03/19/2010 - 2:13am

Hey Clarkie, Ya the float does feel a little more "corky" in the salt and that's where I'm interested in boat thoughts and choice. It just interests me (and I bet Kahuna). On the lake( like last week) we had 70 km winds and 2 meter tight waves. (A few locals were surfing in wet suits) I try to relate this to the limited downwinds I have had on the coast in similar sized but longer / more spread out ocean waves. So at 200 lbs in a bigger volume boat I think I sit better on the water than in smaller volume boat( I know that is obvious) and that "improvement ratio" is greater in the sweet water that Goto loves to paddle in, as well all sit a little lower in it anyways ....

How this relates to boat manufacturing, well I think more of the volume for what I am looking for needs to be placed under my “sheissenhaus” not at the nose of the boat.

By the way Goto, Rambo for interest sake in a latest scientific study I conducted last year... Less time washing the boat is directly proportionate to the coldness and quantity of post paddle pints...

#8 Fri, 03/19/2010 - 7:42am

Clarkie,

the nice thing about this word is that it is written in Dutch, but when you pronounce it you get a German word.

In German you have two version that come to mind - and I thought it is only the French that take that many suppositories.

Hosenscheisser
Scheisshaus

Hosen is pants, haus is house

Shizen and houzen is Dutch spelling.

The words in todays Dutch would be
'broek shijter'
'shijt' and 'huis'.

broek is pants, huis is house

I guess word two is the correct one. In the past you had to cross the back yard to find a certain little wooden cabin placed over a deep pit - nice experience in a cold winter night.

No wonder you would mumble some indistinguishable words.
Kneedeep indeed.

#9 Fri, 03/19/2010 - 9:45am

Eckhart, addicted again I see, it's all shit really!!!!!!!

I am not sure if there is any scientific fact to support the feeling I get in the ocean but the canoe seems to glide with less resistance compared to our river, a dull brown color so its not the best comparison, the Murray River whilst it is clean has many dirt particles in it clouding the water and leaving a scum line on the canoe after a few uses. So I am guessing the quality of the water and the lack of salt bouyancy creates some extra resistance.

I'm giving myself a headache. I think I will leave the clinical observations to you.

Siegfried: “How do I know you're not from CONTROL?”
Maxwell Smart: “If I were from CONTROL, you'd already be dead.”
Siegfried: “If you were from CONTROL, YOU'D already be dead.”
Maxwell Smart: “Neither of us is dead, so I'm obviously not from CONTROL.”
[long pause]
Shtarker: “That actually makes sense.”

#10 Fri, 03/19/2010 - 7:19pm

Sure it's scientific - salt water has a different density, the boat sits higher.

That's why they call it addiction - I am posting here to remind you...

#11 Sat, 03/20/2010 - 8:06am

LOL you guys !

aloha,
pog

#12 Sat, 03/20/2010 - 11:35am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.481 seconds.