Training for long distance

I am planning to paddle the perimeter of a large lake in Switzerland in early Sept...
The complete distance is around 115km (about 70 miles).

I have been training with weights all winter for this event and I now I have
been paddling for a few weeks (since last September).
Does anyone have any advice or training plans (or a Link) to
prepare for a long paddle.
I will not be racing, it is just to finish!

Thanks

Submitted by oceanpaddeler on Sat, 05/29/2010 - 3:04am

its not so much the distance. most people will tell you its a mind set . brake the 4hr barrier a few times to get used to the different problems your might encour. sore arse/aches and pains. the weather genneraly has a big influenence on how things go. Preparation is the key. what happens if you et wet or the weather turns bad???be prepared .

training should be how you intend to do it in the long run eg nutrition/speed etc. dont change clothing or try something new on the day.stick with what you know will get you through.

Boss

#1 Sat, 05/29/2010 - 8:46pm

Things like a sore bum and blisters on your hands must be avoided at all costs ! What craft are you paddling ? Good Luck .

#2 Sat, 05/29/2010 - 9:15pm

Is it a one piece marathon or a multiple days event?

#3 Sun, 05/30/2010 - 9:30am

The limitations on long distance paddling is rarely fitness since most people focus mainly on it. It's hydration/nutrition and sore spots that turn to blisters/abscesses. Work on your hydration and nutrition strategies, finding out the foods and drinks that you prefer early in your training and get used to them, mixing them up a bit and trying new ones, finding a fluid-solid system that you can live on for a few days (70 miles is long, but not crazy long. Are you doing it in one stretch or breaking up into legs with periods of recovery/rest?). Go for long paddles with minimal clothing & hand protection to find which parts are most sensitive, then get busy working on modifications to prevent the sore spots. Those modifications will also likely produce new sore spots, so it's a lot of time chasing your tail to come up with the most comfortable system. By the time you have your diet & comfort systems nailed down, you will be fit enough to paddle 70 miles.

As for fitness, don't concentrate much on strength (already did that this winter in the gym), focus mainly on paddle technique. Train also your antagonist muscles/tendons in parallel to the paddling muscles/tendons. A word on tendons, they grow slower than muscle so work on moderate easy pace early on to get them resilient. Muscles grow fast and easy, it's the tendons/ligaments that your focus should be on. Ensure you are giving them proper rest and nutrition to strengthen; they require more rest than you think. What you're training for is not only the 70 miles, but to prevent long-term injuries after the paddle and a short recovery. Enjoy!

#4 Tue, 06/01/2010 - 4:22am

whats the best things for cramping ? my legs, feet, and ribs keep cramping even after I'm ourt of the canoe.

#5 Tue, 06/01/2010 - 6:00am

I had this problem after ramping up training, got sick of being flogged and wanted to do something about it. The extra work was compressing my stomach giving me cramps. Even had a mate of Eckharts put a tube down my throat for a look see. Didn't find anything (a few McDonalds wrappers but nothing serious). Realization that my core strength was probably not good enough, problem went away as the core got stronger but I took six months. Then the cramps moved to the forearms and calves and diet supplements and massage got that under control. My suggestion would be to work on the core and look at your diet.

Plenty of things you can take for cramps.

Still getting flogged!!!!!!!!!

#6 Tue, 06/01/2010 - 11:23am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.286 seconds.