V1 comparisons

Over the years we have talked about the differences and personality's of various OC1. Anyone have any feedback on V1? The Aukahi is the latest v1 to be produced in Hawaii, how does it compare to Temana or Tevanui?

Submitted by joe on Thu, 07/22/2010 - 12:13pm

so what, save this for v1paddler.com?

ok, so temana was the first v1 I paddled, pretty cool experience... aukahi came along,, I tried that out, first response was that these guys did a damn good job, my only complaint at this point would be the ama. Seems like designing a separate ama for the aukahi would impact the production etc etc, so using the existing ama designed for the pueo made sense economically and to get it to market. Personally, it feels like a mis-match, anyone else?

#1 Thu, 07/22/2010 - 9:31pm

I live in Italy and the only thing i can say is that here it is impossible to find an original polynesian v1 i'm looking for a used canoe. If someone in Europe is reading this and want to sell his v1 please contact me!! Ciao.

#2 Fri, 07/23/2010 - 12:09am

i've paddled the aukahi quite a bit and after a lot of experimenting i found a rig setting that worked well for me. also paddled an ah min and timi va'a. don't think i can really make a fair comparison since both the tahitian canoes weighed in at well over 30 pounds while my aukahi is about 18. i'd love to get a chance to paddle a light tahitian built va'a at some point to get an accurate comparison. one thing i noticed is the aukahi seems to be a bit more nimble and react a bit quicker to corrective strokes. in the surf the aukahi is pretty loose. i'm not sure if these handling aspects of the canoe are good or bad... but it's what i've noticed. as far as cockpit comfort, i like the narrowness of the aukahi and the molded seat. i have a pretty wide ass so i'm a pretty close fit in the aukahi. this really makes me feel like i am part of the canoe and i can use my hips to help steer and control the ama better. at first i thought the seat was unbearable, but once i got my rigging right (and stopped leaning one way or the other) the seat was perfectly comfortable for paddles from 30 minutes to 3+ hours.

as far as the ama matching the canoe, it never felt at any point that it was hindering me, but then again i might not know any better. i just rigged the ama to ride with approximately the same weight and trim that i did with my pueo and it worked fine. hope that all made sense. hope to paddle a light tahitian canoe or Tiger's new boat at some point to make a fair comparison. I've heard good things about his tahitian designed/big island built canoe as well.

#3 Fri, 07/23/2010 - 12:09pm

I have paddled a few different va'as in Tahiti( ranging from awesome to torturous) and the Aukina here in Oz,now Im not a good enough v1 paddler to make a definitive comparison but the Aukina felt more maneuverable but slower in a straight line on flat water,I think that it was designed for the ocean not a Lagoon.
I saw Luke and Makana paddle theirs in the very windy Maui to Molo race and they obviously performed really well, (showed the quality of the paddlers as well) the only thing it needs is a fitted skirt in my opinion.

#4 Fri, 07/23/2010 - 12:20pm

Good point jc9, I was impressed with how quickly you can turn the Aukahi -say to get on a bump, one j stroke you can turn 40 degrees. My feeling with the ama, like a bit much volume when compared to the the nimble hull, maybe I just need to find the sweet spot in the cockpit to lift ama?

Also, remembered the Tevanui by Tiger, another solid v1 made in Hawaii and used in the Hilo world sprints, so definitely predates the Aukahi.

#5 Sun, 07/25/2010 - 8:48am

perhaps this is the Fai model made in EnZed? from the other thread it sounds like they've recruited some of the top Tahitian guys to this canoe.

#6 Sun, 07/25/2010 - 9:40am

The Fai you can buy in Tahiti is made in Tahiti. Don't know if the original nshape is from NZ, could be. In fact, it must be a really good canoe (never paddled one) because a lot of "garage builders" make copies : they make the same hull and only change the design of the deck...

#7 Sun, 07/25/2010 - 1:40pm

Following the link to the Waka Ama website, it says 'Top of the line and direct from Tahiti. Lightweight, Rudderless and fast! Price $3500 Contact Ben Bunton on 021481860 to order yours today.'
Reading this, I assume they're imported from Tahiti but that's only my interpretation.

#8 Sun, 07/25/2010 - 2:08pm

@hiro
"garage builders"? Do they take measurements and make a mold? Can you expand?

#9 Mon, 07/26/2010 - 9:56am

Some people just build a few canoes aside from their "real" jobs...
some just made a plug out of the V1 they bought,
some bought an old mould from a shaper,
some were working for a shaper before and were given a mold and told to make a different deck design to make it obvious it doesn't come from the shaper's workshop.
When you drive around Tahiti, you can see signs in front of their homes that says "canoe to sell". You can get a canoe a little cheaper from them but you have no guarantee about the craftmanship...

#10 Mon, 07/26/2010 - 8:10am

What a trip, kinda like board shaping in Hawaii. Can I ask the pricing window of new va'a from shop vs garage?

#11 Mon, 07/26/2010 - 8:17am

don't expect "half the price"... Resin and fiberglass are expensive here...
but you won't have to WAIT. they don't have a lot of orders. When I ordered my wife's new Timi, we had to wait 7-8 weeks.

#12 Mon, 07/26/2010 - 7:27pm

hey Hiro, with the many va'a makers in your area, how long did it take to have yor broken V1 repaired?
..................the one boken in the surf, which you said would be quickly repaired.

#13 Tue, 07/27/2010 - 9:56am

many va'a makers in Tahiti... I live in Huahine, small island, no va'a builder there. I got it repaired by Gary Danielson. He's a surfboard shaper and a great surfer. He also is the father of Maitai Danielson. Maitai is the Faahoro (stroker) for Matairea Hoe (Manutea Owen's team). Maitai has broken many canoes (and boards) since he was a kid, so even tough his father is not a va'a builder, he knows how to fix one when it's broken. I gave him the canoe on a tuesday, and was paddling it by the end of the week. Paid 15000cfp, approx 165 $.

#14 Tue, 07/27/2010 - 3:04pm

At least you have "garage" board shaper/makers on your Island...................good thing for those guys.
I was just wondering if the volume producers (factory) have much time for repairs.

#15 Tue, 07/27/2010 - 8:06pm

About the garage builders, I definitely agree with Hiro! I was in Tahiti a few months ago and the craftmanship is definitely not there. Plus, you are not saving much anyways. I guess it would become intersting only if there is a very long wait to get a va'a (7-8 weeks for you Hiro... wow!!!).
I recently got my Fai Va'a sent over to California and it all happened rather quickly, with custom design and colors, foot rest built for my height... I was actually surprised at how easy the process was. The builder dealt with the shipping. I just paid and picked it up. A few weeks after I got mine, the results from the race season 2010 started coming in and I have to say that I am stoked that I am riding a top of the line va'a. Like JC_9 mentioned they have quite the team riding their canoes.
About the shape being from NZ, I looked into all that before I purchased. It turns out, the Fai shape comes from the origianal Noe shapes. So it is an original Tahitian Va'a. I heard of them from a friend who swears by his Fai. After trying it, I made the switch myself.

P.S: I heard of a guy in Tahiti that builds V6 canoes who goes around with a electric saw and will cut your Va'a in 2 if he sees that it is a copy made by a garage builder. Scary but after all it isn't very ethical either. Maybe that should be the type of copyright control builders housl do...

#16 Fri, 10/01/2010 - 11:48am

did you have to pay much for the shipping ?

#17 Wed, 08/25/2010 - 10:51pm

Unfortunately shipping is not cheap to the US. That was one of the reson I decided to go for the carbon fiber model rather than the fiberglass. If I was paying for shipping I might as well get the better va'a... ; )

#18 Fri, 08/27/2010 - 2:49pm

At airport heading to Tahiti now, will be importing a container of Fai and Are V1's as well as V3's. If anyone is interested in getting in on the order send me a private message, or just for more information ask in forum. The more in the container the less everyone pays in shipping. They should come into hawaii all fees included at $2600 for polyester and $4800 for double carbon.

#19 Sat, 10/30/2010 - 10:00am

Whew...I have to take a cold shower after all that talk about jc9ers hip and ass movement.

#20 Sat, 10/30/2010 - 10:09am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.199 seconds.