Velzy's 2010 Distance Paddling Guide!

Check out our Distance Paddling Guide which includes a a review of our Favorite Products!

What to wear, drink, eat. etc....

including:
2xu
Kole Gear
Shot Blocks
Cytomax
Perpetuem
EFS
Vertra

and more..
Photobucket" />

Check it out the FULL version here:
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Distance-Guide-2010.html?soid=1103261...

Then "Like" us here to enter to win it!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Honolulu-HI/Velzy-Hawaii/152199228130901?ref=ts/

Mahalo!

Velzy Team

AttachmentSize
Distance Guide-Jpeg.jpeg1.32 MB

Submitted by VelzyHawaii on Thu, 08/26/2010 - 11:28am

Are you wearing comp pants during paddling?

#1 Wed, 09/08/2010 - 7:30pm

retracting statement........My Bad.

#2 Mon, 09/13/2010 - 12:53pm

Kiricovers,

As one of the creators and owners of Velzy Hawaii, I believe I have local knowledge. I also believe my knowledge is used in our newsletter and everything we do. In our distance guide, I have tried all the products personally and asked elite paddlers who have used the products as well for their feedback. So I believe the research has been done.

We did put do a review on your hawaiian canoe canvas in one of our newsletters. As a Lanikai paddler, I did go down an check out your covers on beach.I like your products.

We do have a rate card for advertisement which we send to all companies that approach us, but we do write that we are more interested in cross promotion. I believe it is important for a company that is trying to make a professional business start should have a rate card. Maybe you believe we are a money rag or a big commercial- that is your interpretation.

My goal is to make information useful for paddlers so we can all get better and enjoy what we love doing. If you would like to talk about this, you can email me personally at surferpat24@aol.com
Have a nice day,

Patrick Dolan

#3 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 10:12am

Hi Kiri Covers,

We did a write up on you on July 7th, featuring your covers. Did you see it? (its attached). We are sorry that you think this is a for-profit entity, we choose who we featured based SOLEY on personal and inside knowledge for these types of guides. We sent you our advertisement card as an option for prolonged exposure on our website and newsletter. We did feature you in July for free ( because as Pat said, we love your product) and wanted to give you options to extend advertising when your product was not in the category we were featuring such as our "personal distance guide products". If you would like to enter your product for another upcoming guide that includes Canoe cover products please email us! We would love to have you again!

Sorry for the miscommunication!

Velzy Team

Photobucket>

#4 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 10:34am

@Black,

Yes! For best results it is recommended to even sleep in compression pants the night before to get the circulation flowing. Compete in them for maximum blood flow, agility and muscle mobilization and wear them after wards for rapid recovery!

We just got ours in the mail yesterday and they are amazing! Even compression socks can make a difference while traveling or sleeping in the night before!

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

Velzy Team

#5 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 10:38am

Just some science from a running side...

"The primary rationale behind wearing compression socks in a race is that they may enhance venous return to the heart through a more efficient calf muscle pump, leading to increased endurance capacity. And there is the notion that because muscles are kept more compact, balance and proprioception are improved and muscle fatigue is minimized. However, a study presented at the 2007 American College of Sports Medicine annual meeting in New Orleans suggested there were no statistically significant differences in maximal oxygen consumption, heart rate or minute ventilation between treadmill runners who wore compression socks and those who did not. According to the study, conducted at Stellenbosch University in South Africa, subjects did, however, show a faster lactate recovery rate after exercise when wearing the compression socks, suggesting that compression socks might speed recovery after a strenuous workout or a race.
So wear them in a race if it suits you, but definitely wear them after the race."

There are other studies showing post race / workout benefits but I think the racing community uses them in running races and Triathalon partially because they are sponsored to wear them. So you don't have to look goofy racing in compression tops or anything like that just afterwards. Another popular brand is SKINS...

#6 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 11:33am

Are you related to Dale Velzy or any of the Velzy's?

#7 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 12:32pm

Hi Joe,

No we are not. We named our company after the Velzyland surfbreak, where we learned to surf and where our families grew up!

VelzyTeam

#8 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 1:39pm

so then you know v-land was named after the Velzy's. Shoots, good luck to you guys, I love v-land, best barrel of my life

#9 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 2:05pm

I'm aware of the studies. Been doing endurance sports for over ten years and use comp shorts for running/cycling. I don't see any benefit during paddling events since no trauma occurs to the legs. I have yet to see any research on this also.

OK maybe wearing/sleeping feels good after training but lets see the study. Hell, a nice Kona Longboard feels great after a hard effort. I sleep like a baby.

I ask because I own comp shorts but haven't used them for paddling.

#10 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 9:10pm

I have noticed that Kiricovers plugs their product on this forum constantly. Free advertising if you ask me. Then the Dolans generously feature their product and all they get is crap about it? Time to apologize to Velzy if you ask me. The Velzy site is a great source of information on all aspects of paddling, and also has the most up to date race results and upcoming events from all over. If advertising on Velzy site helps the guys go to the Olympics, more power to them. Shell out some dough Kiricovers and help send your neighbors to the Olympics.

#11 Fri, 09/10/2010 - 1:27pm

@Black--

I thought the same thing. However, I personally used the compression pants in Catalina this weekend and they made a huge difference. They kept the blood circulating when the cold was freezing them up. I imagine its the same idea in when paddling in Hawaii. The legs aren't a major source of trauma like you said but it keeps the blood circulating down there so you don't cramp up-- They also increase agility and mobility. I found I could stretch out more and really drive off the legs while in them. Maybe personal preference but I won't race without them from now on!

They are ideal for Stand up paddling too, they mobilize the legs when standing for long periods of time.

Try them out!

Velzy

#12 Tue, 09/14/2010 - 10:54am

what about compression shirts? would it help with paddling?

#13 Tue, 09/14/2010 - 10:19pm

Ask Goto he wears tight shirts already

#14 Wed, 09/15/2010 - 5:44am

Purely aesthetic.

#15 Wed, 09/15/2010 - 6:26am

What about Trojans? Certainly compressive.

#16 Wed, 09/15/2010 - 8:32am

@ ehukai, done. missed the plug due to premature childbirth (6/28), was not reading much of anything when they ran it, Velzy never responded to my emails so assumed the ball had been dropped. Honest mistake, apology issued, and I still get a beautiful baby girl!

#17 Wed, 09/15/2010 - 12:42pm

"I still get a beautiful baby girl!"

Congrats!

#18 Wed, 09/15/2010 - 1:55pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.179 seconds.