waterproof ipod setups

What does everyone recommend for waterproofing you ipod? Meaning what products have you used and like or not liked?

Submitted by jpi92109 on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 10:16pm

http://swimman.com/
not just a case they water proof all ipod shuffles

#1 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 3:13am

Here's what I use because I don't like ear buds. Sound quality isn't the greatest, but for $11 it works for me.

http://www.handhelditems.com/pixxo-isplash-waterproof-speaker-iphone-ipo...

#2 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 5:11am

Speedo makes a product (Aquabeat) for swimmers that comes with a small control unit, good wrap-around earphones, and an extension cord. Plays tunes in the order you load them, no shuffling feature. I made a rig to put the control unit on my garmin strap in front or could tape to hull under knees, etc., etc. As sold, the control unit is made to be rigged to the elastic strap of a pair of swim goggles.
Also tried the coated iPod shuffle---worked ok too. Clipped neatly to hat. My understanding is that you basically leave it ON all the time (you lose ability to position the HOLD and SHUFFLE toggles). Anyone have better info?

#3 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 12:20pm

I use the H2O Audio hardcase for ipod nano. I got it pretty cheap at Costco a few years ago. The headphones it came with don't sound very good. I upgraded to the surge ear buds and they sound much better. Unfortunately they have recently developed some static so I am concerned about their durability.

#4 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 1:37pm

I too use H2OAudio stuff for my Ipod Nano. Bought the medium case (kinda neoprene deal with a click in cover) and a set of waterproof ear buds that clip behind your ears (regular ear buds either are uncomfortable or won't stay in my lopsided head.). Got the waist extension for paddling, wear the arm bad in the gym. Have paddled OC1, V1 and SUP with them for about 6 months now and they are GREAT! No leaks, easy to play with Nano controls and the earphones give good sound quality and don't distort after you fall off, they even sound pretty good under water!
Just ordered the bigger one for my wifes I-phone,
Enjoy.

#5 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 5:25pm

Right on, thanks for the feeback guys. I think ill chekc ot the h20audio setup for sure. Its just hard to spend 80 bux or so and then 50 more for headphones for one set up i saw. Kind of a tight wad these days. Thanks again. Need some help to push thru the pre work paddle and drown out the damn heart rate monitor telling me im not workin hard enough...

#6 Wed, 04/28/2010 - 12:15am

H2O Audio hardcase

#7 Wed, 04/28/2010 - 8:53am

I use an Otter Box waterproof case for my older iPod Nano. Works like a hot darn. I didn't bother with waterproof headphones (I'm kinda cheap, too). I just buy pretty decent headphones cheap at Winners. They usually continue to work after you capsize if you let them dry out. They work for a short time underwater, then when you realize where you are, they go "Skkkriiitch!" and you're left without sound with soggy headphones dangling around your neck. One of my challenges has always been the headphone cords getting tangled in stuff (hydration, lifejacket, etc). But it's worth it.

Careful about completely blocking out all sound, like boats and such. Plus be careful your stroke doesn't get all noisy and rough because you can't hear what you're doing....

don m
Penticton, Canada

#8 Wed, 04/28/2010 - 9:54am

somehow we ended up with an abundance of ipod shuffles (xmas etc) so purchasing another didnt make sense. zip lock or rubber (condom) works great, tie a knot after plugging in head phones, then tucked under a trucker hat. I havent got the ear buds wet yet, but i imagine they would stop working, good thing i get plenty, but hopefully, no huli.
Heres a photog using for underwater camera http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_the_cheap_yet_shamefull_underwater_hou...

#9 Thu, 04/29/2010 - 7:57am

if using earbuds, check these out http://www.yurbuds.com/

#10 Thu, 04/29/2010 - 7:57am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.193 seconds.