whale season

Does anyone have some stories of whale encounters while paddling..../\?

Submitted by kawaikapu on Sat, 01/16/2010 - 8:34am

Saw some whales yesterday on my paddle out of Hilo. Sighted their spray on the horizon as I was going out along the Hamakua coast. We got up close and personal between Honoli'i and Papaikou mill as they tracked towards the Bayfront and I tracked out. Two large ones; one larger than the other(male + female?). When I was about twenty yards away they sounded for the deep. Huge fluke display. Really, really cool!

#1 Sat, 01/16/2010 - 9:43am

Last year doing Maui Molokai on an OC2 with Debmaui, 2 whales were on a 90 degree course intersecting with ours. It was mid channel and we were flying. Kept getting closer and closer. Finally Deb says, "paddle really hard". We squeak by and they pass literally a couple of feet behind our stern. When one of them blows, we can feel the warmth of its breath.

#2 Sat, 01/16/2010 - 4:12pm

About 2 years ago, I was paddling back toward the Ala Wai channel from Diamond Head side shortly after sunset when a movement caught my eye. I looked up to see a juvenile humpback slapping his pectoral fin on the water about 30 ft or so in front of me.. I stopped and watched in awe. Then the whale started moving toward me. I backed up a few strokes worried that it might bump me. It blew as it passed by me and was close enough that I could taste the warm salty spray. It was amazing.

#3 Sat, 01/16/2010 - 5:29pm

My first experience on a outrigger canoe was in wailea maui, we paddled out and were greeted by a pod of whales, they checked us out for a while, almost like they were more interested in the canoe then with the people in the canoe, it sparked my interest in canoe paddling and I have been hooked ever since.

#4 Mon, 01/18/2010 - 12:13am

Watch out for the whale cops! A friend of mine was out on his surf ski about ten years ago and got close to some whales off olowalu. The whale cops on shore called it in and he got popped for a big citation. I think it was around 2G's.

#5 Mon, 01/18/2010 - 7:36am

How far away are you supposed to be from the whales on O'ahu? Does this also apply to dolphins?
I see dolphins more often and when there's a bunch of them, A couple of weeks ago I saw about 20 of them dolphins doing their back flips back and forth. its hard not to stop and watch them doing their acrobatics on the water. I usually see whales outside of Portlock

#6 Mon, 01/18/2010 - 10:11am

I think it's like 20 yds, but they get their panties in a bunch if you keep going toward the whales. Not sure about the dolphins, but they're extra cool, especially when they run with you. Check with DLNR site.

#7 Mon, 01/18/2010 - 10:48am

From http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/marine_mammals.html

Q. How close I can get to a humpback whale?
A. Federal law states that no one may approach a humpback whale within 100 yards in Hawaiian waters. This means that all ocean users (boaters, swimmers, surfers, etc. ) must stay at least 100 yards from any humpback whale at all times. NOAA and DLNR issue a very limited number of special permits to researchers and rescue personnel to get closer than 100 yards. If, while on the water, you find a whale closer than 100 yards to you - if a whale approaches you, for instance - NOAA asks that you remain stationary and wait for the whale to move away. If you are in a motorized vessel, please put your engine in neutral (do not turn it off), and wait for the whale to move away.

Q. How close can I get to whales, dolphins, seals and turtles?
A. Except for humpback whales (see above), there is no law specifying the minimum distance people can approach a marine mammal or sea turtle. ...

#8 Mon, 01/18/2010 - 1:31pm

Saw a humpback whale about 1.5-2 miles outside of Poka'i Bay here in Wai'anae today before sunset. Was paddling just outside of the small boat harbor when I saw its waterspout. It was just out there waving its tail and coming straight up partially, but no actual breaching/jumping though.

#9 Mon, 01/18/2010 - 10:43pm

Last year I was paddling in one of the longer Kanaka Ikaika races, was just around Hawaii Kai arear when I heard a whale spout off somewhere off to my left. No clue how far it was away, but it scared the bejeezes out of me...

#10 Tue, 01/19/2010 - 8:43am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.184 seconds.