Would This Boat Work

I am looking for a cheap starter boat to get out in the water(flat and small surf). Nothing planning on doing any serious racing but need to get back out on the water soon. Basically I am 6' 235. I'm hoping this boat has enough volume to float me. I tried out a friends Hurricane without too much of a problem. Any feedback would be hugely appreciated.

PS: I know most of you would say but a Scorpius or newer boat but money is a little tight.

Submitted by shutupandpaddle07 on Wed, 09/01/2010 - 1:44pm

I'm still happy with my Thunder. All it needed was some screws. A good fun boat that I no scared take out to the breakers. I'm ovah 200 pounds and it works for me.

#1 Wed, 09/01/2010 - 11:29pm

Anything special I should know about this boat?

#2 Thu, 09/02/2010 - 11:25am

This is an old canoe (probably 3rd generation?), but the price was right for me and serves my purpose: ie: I don't baby it, and don't worry about dinging it up. I'm on the water - and that's all that matters
ps: My Thunder has a sliding foam cushion seat that I can move fore and aft.

#3 Thu, 09/02/2010 - 1:26pm

Hurricane is a great starter boat even for someone your size. Thing is, it's a easy boat to resale if you keep it in good shape. Its more important to concentrate on perfecting an efficient and effective stroke than worrying about boat types. The only time your size will have a negative effect on a Hurricane will be in big water conditions. The boat will "pearl" quickly, and again, you will find ways to work through that too.
Good luck and have fun!

#4 Thu, 09/02/2010 - 11:07pm

The most important thing for your first boat is that it be comfortable for you the paddle. Any cheap float that is safe and water tight will suffice until you get the bug to go fast more often. Then just trade up to the next level of ownership and pass the canoe onto the someone else to learn on and become familiar with what Outrigger paddling is about. The important thing is to get some time on the water and progress from there.

Cheers Rambo

#5 Fri, 09/03/2010 - 4:40pm

Put the thunder in the water today. Awesome first boat. Pretty Stable. Had to save(not fly) the ama with a kickstand a couple times, but other than that I love it. Very comfortable to paddler. Thanks for all of your guys input.

#6 Fri, 09/03/2010 - 4:53pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.182 seconds.