4" rudder for Hurricane

Hi everyone,
I have a new Hurricane and am thinking about replacing the rudder with a weedless rudder from Huki. Paddle So. Cal waters and get a lot of kelp. He sells a 4" or an 8". Everyone talks about rudder drag so I was thinking the 4" rudder might be a nice California rudder. I will not be surfing, but open ocean runs with cross swells seem to happen a lot. I am doing the winter race series. I paddle SUP a lot and am use to steering with the paddle blade, but of course I do not want to do this all the time. What do you think.

Cheers, Jill

Submitted by jillv64 on Thu, 01/06/2011 - 6:50am

Hi Jill
I got the 8 inch and love it . It groves through the turn rather than a little grind. kelp is not a problem here but Fenn has a weed deflector that would help

http://www.oceanpaddlesports.com/site/index.php/Accessories/product-imag...

chase them waves

#1 Thu, 01/06/2011 - 7:19am

Personally mine is 12", but it's not always about length, it's thick too. But for a rudder go for Sambos swept back to keep the kelp off, not sure the dimensions, but it'll fit your canoe and lots of people in southern California seem to like them.

PM if you keen I can get you in touch with him

#2 Thu, 01/06/2011 - 7:44am

My old Fusion had a big black rudder made by Sambos just like the one Toa Moana mentioned, and it worked great in Socal waters, no issues with kelp, plenty of surface area for control. I think the guy who makes them is Sam Couch out of NAC.

#3 Fri, 01/07/2011 - 4:51am

Toa you crack me up!

#4 Sat, 01/08/2011 - 1:48pm

4" is plenty big if its not windy.

#5 Sat, 01/08/2011 - 4:08pm

We used a tiny rudder off a K1 on our OC2 for marathon river events, very little drag and it hides in the shadow of the rocker for log hopping, but .... there is a delay of 3 seconds at 14kph before the canoe begins to turn so you have to anticipate directional changes.

The stock Hurricane rudder is a great all round efficient rudder for coastal runs and moderate wind generated swells. I did use an 8" at one time from Outrigger Zone (Hurricane Manufacturer) but was so thin it snapped, it did hold better in larger swells though.

More info and Pics here http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com/2007/04/update-on-hurricane-long-surfi...

#6 Sat, 01/08/2011 - 10:00pm

Rambo
Would you mind telling me more about the K1 rudder you used? How long was it? What was I'd shaped like? Who made it. Thanks.
RT

#7 Tue, 03/01/2011 - 5:48pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.176 seconds.