Boat Shipping

I am wanting to ship an OC1 from LA to Blaine - any ideas?

Submitted by alaborie on Mon, 03/28/2011 - 12:09pm

KAS transport.

#1 Mon, 03/28/2011 - 4:23pm

Or you could ship freight (tractor trailer), but they are rough, so you could put the canoe in a SonoTube w/ padding. Can get SonoTube at a contractor supply place, more likely a concrete supply place. They work great, I had Jude send my Huki Surfski from Cali to Virginia Beach like that, no damage at all, was pristine !! Or yeah, you could do the more homegrown transport like the KAS folks, good people, just takes a little longer to get your boat depending on their schedule.
Aloha,
-Rich

#2 Tue, 03/29/2011 - 2:03am

I'm having a canoe shipped over to the mainland from Kamanu Composites. I'm buying a sonotube for the shipping, so will have one over here in southern California. Let me know if you're interested in using it. Perhaps we could split the cost of it.

#3 Tue, 03/29/2011 - 5:01am

Take the hour to build the wood crate, pad the boat so its 'floating' in there and use Forward Air .... It will be 1/2 or less the price of the trailer dudes and will get there when its supposed to with no drama.

Crating tips :
Stagger the plywood so crate is stiff.
Put 2 x under it so fork lift can get under.
Mark the center balance point with a spray can. Circle + cross.
Put some rope handles with sections of pvc on the ends so the guys can grab.
Weigh it yourself and write the weight on the crate in a few obvious places.

They will come up to you and THANK YOU ! for doing this and your long skinny baby will get treated right all the way.

aloha,
pog

#4 Tue, 03/29/2011 - 12:08pm

Hi Pog--you're not in the crate-making business are you? Seriously, do you happen to know of anyone in Oahu who'd want to build a crate for the new canoe I'm getting? I'm worried about getting it here to the mainland safely, and would be happy to hire someone to make a crate.

Thanks!

--Mark

#5 Tue, 03/29/2011 - 1:19pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.159 seconds.