Buying 1st OC1 Advise

Hi I wanted any help or advise I can get. I want to buy my 1st OC1 but do not know which one to get. I am 6'-3" and weigh 165. I've been stand up paddle for a few years now and want to try something new. Not sure if I can or want to spend 3-4k on my 1st one. What do any of you think would be something for my weight, height and thickness of my wallet?? My wallet size is about 2k.
Mahalo
JOhn

Submitted by johnnyG on Fri, 05/13/2011 - 10:06am

My best advice is to just paddle as many as you can get your hands on.
Anyone interested in selling you their canoe will let you borrow the boat for a demo so you can get a feel for the vessel. If they won't, then don't bother. You can also get your hands on a demo of a new boat from a manufacturer to try. Paddle as many as you can get your hands on, and then make a decision.

#1 Fri, 05/13/2011 - 1:33pm

my advice is to exhaust the search function for past threads on asking for advice on buying your 1st oc1

i want to apologize for the dick-ish response - but i won't

#2 Fri, 05/13/2011 - 3:39pm

no problem on the response. Its easy to see post threads on weight. Im right in the middle of weight at 165-170 for a small to mid size canoe. But the thing that throws me is im 6-3. Long legs and I was looking possibly someone who has my size weight and frame. Its like when I buy long sleeve shirts I gotta get double x to fit my long arms but way too friggin baggy or I go large and sleeves are only past my elbows. Yeah I think if i was short at 5-10 weighing 185 the choice would be alot easier. Just putting it out there for a possibility someone went through same problems with my height and weight.

#3 Fri, 05/13/2011 - 7:44pm

i had this same problem about a year ago. im 6'2, 150 lbs, and a student. i searched on craigslist for about 2 months, trying to find a boat, and got lucky. i found a fuze (one of the smaller outrigger connection boats), good condition, for about $2100. i went to look at the boat, paddled it in kailua, and took it back to the sellers house. He pointed out a couple of cosmetic issues and dropped the price $200. The only problem was that the seat was freaking small. to this day, i still use the small seat (meant for a 5'7 guy, where my legs are bent in a semi uncomfortable way. a new seat is about $150 at outrigger connections, and im very happy with my canoe.
if not, you can always save up a little more for a pueo, haha

#4 Sat, 05/14/2011 - 1:07am

Thanks ryim just the info im looking for. Im even more at a delema because it seems like 170lb. is a cut off weight for some OC1. It says up to 170 this one and between 170 and 210lb this one. Also our problem and thats what worries me is bent legs not having the room. Like i was saying its easier for the short heavier guy 5 10 @ 200 lbs to find his OC1. Not that many variables for him.

#5 Sat, 05/14/2011 - 7:12am

I am not as tall but have long legs, 35 inch inseam. Cockpit length was a significant factor in my OC1 decision. I bought a new Scorpius XM with the longest seat which fits great and has plenty of leg room. Not likely you will find a used XM in your price range, but a Pegasus may be an option. I test paddled one and it had about the same cockpit length as the XM. You should be able to find an older Pegasus in the $2000-2500 range.

Good luck

#6 Sat, 05/14/2011 - 7:59am

where do you live? If in Hawaii- easy access to a variety of canoes. Get a used one that is comfortable so you don't have to bend your legs too much. Get the seat right. As you experience the sport and get in some surf runs, during that time you can see different canoes and buy the new one that works best for you. Pegasus mentioned by semdoug is a good suggestion. Some old Polaris have long cockpits depending on who the original buyer was. Have fun.

#7 Sat, 05/14/2011 - 10:18am

Alls I can say is big MAHALOS. Just the info I was looking for. Will post pic. when I get my new/old baby!!!
John

#8 Sat, 05/14/2011 - 7:47pm

I am about 6ft 1inch and about 168 lbs. My 1st Canoe was/currently is the Huki V1-X'09 Model.
Regarding your height, most canoes have tractable seats or velcro seats. Do not worry much regarding the height factor or the leg room. I personally like the newer Huki because of the deeper foot wells,more leg room space, and tractable seat
Nonetheless, regarding your 1st canoe there are some factors you need to consider.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER:-
+Location, what canoes do you have access to? Canoes specifically in your region.
+Surf Canoe or Flat Water Canoe, what conditions you are paddling in?
+Do you want it for race, recreational, or training?
--This refers to how much you are going to spend based on the material composition of the canoe such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, ultra-light kevlar, and vacuumed vs non-vacuumed.
+Canoe Type / Canoe Model
--New model or an older model?
--Prefer used or brand new?
+A top quality brand name does not necessarily mean that it is the best fit for you.
--You want to look for something that fits your personality / paddling style / classifications
----Example:- I run faster in the NCOCA summer sprints on my V1-X'09 huki over a hurricane.
BEST ADVICE:-
Test out as many canoes as you possibly can get your hands on, do not rush this decision.

#9 Mon, 05/16/2011 - 11:38am

For you tall guys, If the cockpit area itself is long enough, couldn't you customize and carve out a little bit more foam out of the back of the seat? I know that most manufacturers offer different seats for different sized paddlers, (short to tall) but I suppose that you could customize these even a bit more with a rasp, file, grinder, etc. I know I've done this on my seats for a better fit.

#10 Sun, 05/15/2011 - 3:49am

Aaaaaahhh...Huki.

#11 Sun, 05/15/2011 - 6:19pm

I got a chance to buy a Pegasus at 2500 or a Vantage at 2200. Both in great shape. Again my weight is 170 height 6 -4. Anybody 2 cents would appreciate big time.

#12 Mon, 05/23/2011 - 7:22pm

right on the threshold re the Pegasus. Make sure the Vantage is built in HAwaii. Some HYPR Vantages out there but many problems. If you plan to surf a bunch the Peg will work. Take good care of it and you'll probably be able to sell it for what you bought it for in a year -not a bad investment. Main thing, have fun and get out a few times a week to dial it in.

#13 Mon, 05/23/2011 - 9:35pm

Thanks Paddlefast....if the Vantage is built in Hawaii would you lean towards that more than the Pegasus for me and my weight and height??

#14 Mon, 05/23/2011 - 9:50pm

JohnnyG, all good advice here, but check out my classified for a Zephyr in your price range. I have an XM for sale as well, fyi, but imho, Zephyr would "fit" you better w/ tons of extra legroom for a stretched-out position.

#15 Thu, 05/26/2011 - 3:41pm

If you could try the Vantage and the Pegasus to see what feels best for you that woulld be best. In either case, if you dont paddle at least two times a week, it really doesn't matter. TIME ON THE WATER IS THE CRITICAL FACTOR. If you are purely recreationally paddling, either canoe will be fine.

#16 Thu, 05/26/2011 - 8:26pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.213 seconds.