Canoe custom Paint

I bought a used Pegasus and I don’t like the color. I want to paint it flat black color (You see it mostly on custom cars). Is there such a color for canoes? I don’t want to use paint that will flake or bubble.
Are there any suggestions on what paint to use?
I don’t want to use a paint that is going to slow the boat down or make it real heavy.

Thanks,

Brando

Submitted by bsauls1983 on Mon, 02/28/2011 - 12:22pm

Paint it by yourself or have someone do it ?

Do you have access to spray equipment ?

Rattle can ... Black epoxy primer will be the best covering ( lightest ), hardest finish and bond the best to the PROPERLY PREPPED hull.

aloha,
pog

#1 Mon, 02/28/2011 - 1:00pm

auto stickers they have long ones.

#2 Mon, 02/28/2011 - 1:35pm

dont do it, especially not black.

#3 Mon, 02/28/2011 - 1:51pm

I bought the boat used. It looks band new i just cant stand the color.

My buddy has a paint booth, compressor, and spray gun and he knows how to paint cars really good. I’m trusting him with my Pegasus

My concerns are:
1. Will the flat black make the boat slower? (Before races we wet sand the 6man boats so it will move through the water quicker) Will I have to do this to the flat black color? And will it affect the coloring at all?
2. Will I have to put a clear coat on a flat black finish?
3. What kind of paint should I use if I go for a shinny black. My friend said that I can use black car paint?

What do you guys think

Brando

#4 Mon, 02/28/2011 - 2:13pm

Brando, while some high end custom cars are painted that way, the majority of "matte"/ flat black cars are wraps with film from 3M.

Pricing to do a car ranges from $2500 - $6000.00. the film is easlity removiable when it's time to sell and will likely protect the hull from minor scratches.. I'd recommend looking at something like this in your local market
http:www.thecarwraplady.com .

3M has a ton of new colours and finishes available - steel blue, "brushed aluminum".. gold...

post pics of whatever you do - (please not black) :)

#5 Mon, 02/28/2011 - 3:27pm

Thanks for the input!

Why is everyone telling me not to paint it black. Iv got two people from this forum and my girlfriend telling me?. I think I might keep the color. Its not tooo bad. Its white on bottom and Aqua color on top (Ama is white).

Thanks for the input!. I think the "Car wrap Lady" is out of my budget.

Who knows what I will do to it?. It just want customize it. To many poeple have the same one.

What have you guys done to your canoe to make it custom or your's?.

Brando

#6 Mon, 02/28/2011 - 5:03pm

Black paint will absorb heat like nothing else. On a hot day make sure you wear nomex (fire fighters) pants and watch the warp factor. Imagine your canoe sitting on the beach hot enough to fry some eggs on it and then you take it into much cooler water. Very stressful for da boat.

#7 Mon, 02/28/2011 - 5:45pm

What have you guys done to your canoe to make it custom or your's?.

Most people put stickers of things of interests or motivations to them. Some people put names of companies/brands of stuff they use either as free advertisement or if they are sponsored by them. Doesn't have to be paddling related either since it is your canoe that you want to customize.

As for painting it black, don't do it. I also echo painteur's comment about heat absorption. Ever sat or put your hands on a black colored hood of a car (or even black upholstered seats) that has been sitting in the hot sun?
Anything sitting in the direct sun will get hot, but some colors absorb heat faster than others.

#8 Mon, 02/28/2011 - 6:19pm

There's a pretty sweet black Aukahi in these photos:

http://photos.ocpaddler.com/Other/HVA-Sand-Island-Circuit-2010/12380407_...

#9 Tue, 03/01/2011 - 5:16am

3rd the black ... Will kill the laminate.

Trust your painter buddy Brando.

aloha,
pog

#10 Tue, 03/01/2011 - 8:47am

If you really, really, need to paint your canoe... pick a color or combination of colors that will be easily visible in the ocean. God forbid, but if you get stuck or separated from your canoe, you want every advantage to find it and/or you in the open ocean. Just a personal thought. Take it for what it's worth.

#11 Tue, 03/01/2011 - 11:12pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.206 seconds.