Canoe in Florence

So I just completed a tour of the Uffizi Gallery in Florence Italy. I looked down on the river below and saw a six man outrigger canoe. As charlie sheen says "kind of amazing"

Picture to follow...

Submitted by numerouno on Sun, 05/08/2011 - 10:22pm

We are trying to put together a big group to do Gigilio Island OC1 race in Italy late MAy 2012 after Kauai World Challenge. Jim Foti will have the dates. MAybe we can coordinate a group rate. WHo would like to go?

#1 Mon, 05/09/2011 - 3:47pm

if Kauai World Challenge like conditions can be promised then i'm in. italy is the second best place in the world.

#2 Mon, 05/09/2011 - 6:43pm

ok second....first is Rome

#3 Mon, 05/09/2011 - 7:39pm

Florence Italy

#4 Wed, 05/11/2011 - 7:19am

A couple years ago my wife and I lived in Florence for a year, and I paddled with this club a little east of the Ponte Vecchio:

http://www.canottiericomunalifirenze.it/

I paddled mostly by myself on the club OC-1s (they're old and heavy, but they still float), but I went out a couple times with the "local boys." It's mainly a kayaking and rowing club, but the outrigger guys formed their own paddling group and usually went out in the afternoon together, laughing and joking and talking stink like all paddlers anywhere in the world. A good group of guys.

If you want to know what it looks like when someone with bad technique and a sixty-pound canoe paddles on the Arno, you can check out me paddling here:

If you're in Florence for a few days and really want to get out on the water, it might be worth it to email someone there and see if they'll let you borrow a boat. They're really friendly and probably won't mind, but you might have to bring your own paddle.

#5 Wed, 05/11/2011 - 7:57pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.193 seconds.