Catalina Race

Are there any results for the Catalina race, and does anybody know what crews went from Hawaii or elsewhere outside of California?

Submitted by mbsski on Sun, 09/11/2011 - 8:57pm

Tons of photos on Face book mbsski, but sorry no results anywhere.i can find,

R

#1 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 2:26am

I'll post a link to the results as soon as they are posted.

Lanakila won overall in their new Open Class OC6

Outrigger Canoe Club had a crew that raced as well, and I'm pretty sure they finished in the top 10 overall.

#2 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 4:57am

Lanakila - unltd
Livestrong
Dana - unltd
NAC - unltd
Imua
OCC

#3 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 6:11am

Where did the 3 California teams get their unlimited canoes-- Where are the Pure Canoes manufactured?
Does anyone have a comment on their performance?

#4 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 7:28am

Here's the Men's and Master's Coed Results:

#5 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 7:36am

The Pure Canoes guy (I forget his name at the moment) came over to California and built all three of them.

#6 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 7:38am

They're pretty awesome. 200lbs

Very cool!

#7 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 7:47am

I believe there are a couple of errors in the results. Kailua raced in the Senior Masters not Golden Masters. And Pale Kai raced in the Masters rather then Senior Masters.

#8 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 8:08am

Surprised the half-weight canoes didn't run faster, especially considering how smooth the conditions were.

Livestrong beating 2 of 3 in a borrowed spec and Imua's spec being only 3min behind NAC's unlimited seems to indicate there's still room for improvement...

#9 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 9:48am

I went up and wiped NAC's canoe with my finger and it still had residue on it from being sanded.

I definitely don't think that it's completely finished yet as I believe the surface is just sanded primer, which isn't really that smooth at all...

#10 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 10:52am

odie sumi is his name and he building his canoes right now out of a shop in goleta, ca.

#11 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 11:56am

2011 Catalina Women's results......

http://www.catalinacrossing.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Catalina-2011...

#12 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 2:06pm

Any Pictures up yet?

#13 Wed, 09/14/2011 - 6:38am

Here are some pics taken by Willie Reichenstein..........

https://picasaweb.google.com/Kanumeister/CatalinaChannelCrossing

#14 Wed, 09/14/2011 - 7:26am

Still no Mens final results?

#15 Wed, 09/14/2011 - 12:44pm

never mind, found it!

#16 Wed, 09/14/2011 - 12:46pm

I raced in Dana Outrigger's new unlimited canoe. Picked it up on Tuesday and we paddled it once and raced Catalina on Sunday in it. Lanakila has had theirs for about 2 weeks, and NAC practiced in Lanakila's boat for about 10 min prior to racing the the X3 (newest boat) in Catalina. There is quite a learning curve that goes into making these boats run, and every minute we were in the boat we got a little better, but we have a long way to go. The Pure canoes are just amazing and I think they will help SCORA move into a much faster and more skilled future of paddling.

As for those who dismiss the unlimited canoes as not going much faster than a normal canoes were not part of the scenario. Lanakila got away and gave us a solid beating, but we had a fantastic battle with Livestrong from start to finish. Livestrong waged quite a battle, fighting back in the last couple of miles to overtake us in the messy chop in front of the harbor mouth. NAC having never paddled the X3 finished about 4 min. behind us. Imua fought hard to beat Outrigger and finish second in the standard canoe div to Livestrong.

Imua is a great marker for what the unlimited canoes can accomplish in just a few days time. We battled head to head with Imua (which by the way had 3 kids under 20, 2 of the under 16) for 18 miles in Oceanside finishing 15 seconds apart at the finish just 2 weeks ago. In Catalina we beat them by 8 minutes. I have no doubt that had Imua been in one of these boats they would have been right next to us battling to the finish.

Odie did a great job, and hopefully this division stays "unlimited" so that innovation has room to flourish and everyone benefits from what we are learning.

Corry

#17 Fri, 09/16/2011 - 4:46am

Stoked for sure on the new designs, hope the Unlimited division is here to stay. Just looking at the cockpit-style seating you've gotta have much respect for the learning curve.

Comparing the Imua and Dana times, looks like the Unlimited was 3% faster running about 10-15% lighter.
The distance Lanakila put on everyone was impressive. Those on the beach looking at that hot rod expecting a 3:30 or something may have been overshooting it a bit though..

BTW- Don't get me wrong, would love to paddle one (maybe we can swing up your way some time;-) -- just trying to guage my expectations

#18 Tue, 09/20/2011 - 10:06am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.150 seconds.