classification (paddler)

Just wanted to know......Does anyone know for sure if I am a novice "B", by racing in this weeks championship race as a junior in the open division. Can I still return next yr as a nov "A" paddler or would I be considered an open paddler.

Aloha
N

Submitted by canoeman1 on Mon, 07/25/2011 - 9:32am

welcome to open!

#1 Mon, 07/25/2011 - 9:46am

Are you in a Hui Waa club? If so, I don't think that the Juniors race in the championship regatta "counts" for classification purposes (because we don't race Juniors during the year). In any event, check with your club's rep... it may be possible to salvage one year of Nov A eligibility.

#2 Mon, 07/25/2011 - 12:06pm

I think shurl0ck summed it up, welcome to open.

Most of the associations have race rules on their web sites. They all say pretty much the same thing. OHCRA, MCHCA, MOKU, HUI WA'A.

This from Hui Wa'a:

Novice "A"
Open to any male or female who has never paddled in a regatta in any prior year and/or in any other age
category with the exception of Novice "B" and/or an unclassified event during their Novice B or Novice A
classification. Eligibility in this category is only good for two years after which the paddler must move to
another category

http://www.huiwaa.com/doc/2009/2009%20Race%20Rules.pdf

Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior are all listed as Classified Events

#3 Mon, 07/25/2011 - 2:03pm

Thanks guy's for the reply, I know I was checking it out and the way it sounds like I would be an open paddler regardless of if we run it in hui waa . I see in ohcra they have a jr division and its still a classified event.( No)
The rep did not really know how it's interpited, but a classified event is a classified event. I hope not or it's all screwed up....haha

Thanks, Aloha
N

#4 Mon, 07/25/2011 - 4:16pm

If you are in Hui Waa, which does not have a Junior race at any of their events except for the championship race, then you will maintain your Novice status. Here is the relevant rule from Appendix II GUIDELINES FOR HUI WAA CHAMPIONSHIP REGATTA AND HCRA STATE QUALIFICATIONS (emphasis added):
"If State Championships has an event that is not included in Hui Wa'a's schedule of events, determination of
participation will be made by conducting a state-race qualifying event at the Hui Wa'a Championships. (The
event will not be subject to Hui Wa'a points, awards, or paddler restrictions, other than age.)
[rev. 11/92]
A. All Hui Wa'a race rules will apply to state race qualifying event(s), except those stated below. [rev.
11/02]
B. The event will not be subject to Hui Wa'a points, awards, or paddler restrictions, other than age. [rev.
11/02]"

#5 Tue, 07/26/2011 - 1:12pm

rachel,
Alrighty than much mahalo to all.......right on

Aloha, all
N

#6 Tue, 07/26/2011 - 2:06pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.179 seconds.