Clipper Advantage OC6

I did a topic search on here and didn't find any information on the Clipper Advantage OC6, but I'd like learn anything I can about this craft. I believe they're build in British Columbia, Canada. I've read the manufacturer's website, but I'd like some independent input.

Anyone know anything about the Clipper Advantage OC6?

Submitted by Osprey on Tue, 03/29/2011 - 1:40pm

Our club bought one when they first came out. Worked much better with a smaller crew. Doesn't track great, doesn't steer great. I'll take an older Bradley over a Clipper any day! Well built though.
Josh

#1 Tue, 03/29/2011 - 2:09pm

They make some nice 4-mans, really light.

#2 Tue, 03/29/2011 - 4:46pm

Thanks Josh & Jim:
Being landlocked in the Midwest doesn't give very many alternatives to finding an OC6 out there. We've developed quite a pool of good paddlers here in Missouri and Kansas, but I'd love to start an outrigger club and put some of these guys in an OC6 and race in the events in Texas and Chicago. Who knows. But, I thought that these Clippers might be easier to find and get to Kansas City than something else. Would I rather find a used Bradley or similar? Sure. Even it if needed a bit of TLC because one of our group is an expert in S-glass, carbon fibre, Kevlar and resins. I've seen him fix and OC2 that was in monsterous shape.

Any more feedback on the Clipper Advantage OC6 out there?

Mahalo,
Dan

#3 Wed, 03/30/2011 - 8:54am

Osprey
They test the skipper, wander a bit . But have speed , very well made. With the right crew it could work. But you don't know till you get it out in a race. If the skip doesn't pry to much and still maneges to keep it straight its as good as the rest , or in the same ball park.
good luck

#4 Wed, 03/30/2011 - 9:11am

Obviously any boat is better than no boat. Just to elaborate a bit on what I said before, we found the women's crews did alot better than the men's. Once the boat got heavier we found the steering much more difficult. The steersperson (male or female) would always comment that they had to steer more than paddle in any conditions (novice steersperson barely paddled at all). Also (if I remember correctly) I think it is longer than most other boats making surfing in short chop all the harder. We were all super excited to get the boat when new, but it quickly became a practice boat and we didn't race it much unless we had to. Good luck in your boat quest!
J

#5 Wed, 03/30/2011 - 9:15am

Appreciate the input Josh and mulus.

What do you think makes these boats wander? Sorry for all the questions, I'm learning.

#6 Thu, 03/31/2011 - 5:19pm

Thanks
Bill could probably answer that the best . I would guess it's the rocker. too much would make it turn well but wounder from time to time, but good for surfing. and less rocker would go straight and less poking and more pulling but would hard to turn when needed.

#7 Thu, 03/31/2011 - 5:55pm

Agree mulus. Lack of other design features also contributes.
1968, the steering got more difficult when the crew became heavier due to insufficient buoyancy.

#8 Fri, 04/01/2011 - 9:17am

Okay, be merciful ... I'm new to outriggers.

So, for these Clippers, would glassing on a keel make it have less of a tendancy to wander? I know that makes it not traditional.

Thanks for your patience.

#9 Sat, 04/02/2011 - 3:06pm

yup and yup .

#10 Sat, 04/02/2011 - 3:50pm

It's not that hard to steer, Osprey. Sure, there are better designs, but it'll work fine for you, and when you get a better canoe later, you'll be a better steersman.

#11 Sat, 04/02/2011 - 4:34pm

Thanks all for the input, and your patience.

Mahalo

#12 Mon, 04/04/2011 - 7:23am

Outriggers of Old utilized a full length keel as well as a partial keel depending on its intended use. Thus, they are indeed traditional. Canoes on the Big Island still make use of them.

#13 Mon, 04/04/2011 - 4:19pm

Good point, Bill. And, the likelyhood that we would ever be in a race that would require strict traditional specifications is pretty low for us here in the Midwest. Our most frequent use would be in large-river races where we would be competing in an 'unlimited" division with all kinds of boats.

I believe I read that Nappy Napoleon steered one of the early Clipper Advantages to a first place finish with Greg Barton in the boat at the 1998 Catalina race. Interesting tid bit of trivia. Not sure who they competed against, but interesting nonetheless.

Anyway, we're not sold on any kind of OC6 at this point, but just looking at what could likely come available to us in the Midwest. I didn't want to be too uninformed should one of these Clippers come available.

Thanks again all.

#14 Tue, 04/05/2011 - 8:31am

FYI the Advantage is made in Vancouver Canada also the Calmar and the The Bradley Lightning. Also used canoes go for sale now and then. If you wanted you could post on the CORA web site or even the PNWORCA to see what is out there.

#15 Tue, 04/05/2011 - 9:10am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.190 seconds.