Crossfit endurance and outrigger canoeing

Anyone try crossfit endurance with outrigger canoeing? I was thinking about switching the C2 rower program with a V1. Any suggestions?

Submitted by emac on Sun, 01/16/2011 - 5:12pm

I have tried cross fit during paddling season and learned that if you are smart about it, it can compliment your workouts really well. Especially if you are strapped for time. Now I don't know what crossfit endurance is, but the crossfit I was exposed to took no longer than 45 minutes, yet it seemed to push me to a much higher intensity level anaerobically then I can ever achieve in paddling. I felt a lot stronger and less winded during the typical paddling workouts.

But I also learned that you have to be careful. There are definitely some work outs that could hurt you, especially if you are in the middle of a long distance season. Individually, you have to identify those work outs and either avoid them or substitute them with something else.

I would recommend cross fit with that stipulation.

#1 Sun, 01/16/2011 - 10:18pm

#2 Thu, 01/20/2011 - 2:02pm

I just did 42 power cleans and 18 swedish penis pumps!

#3 Mon, 01/17/2011 - 6:03pm

Only 18?

you must be injured

#4 Mon, 01/17/2011 - 8:44pm

you only need to do one

#5 Tue, 01/18/2011 - 5:53am

@toa, Jaymbes does 18 pumps due to the fact he has been crossfitting for several years. As outrigger70 (who is a crossfit gym owner) states, crossfit will "increase libido" among a great many other amazing things. Jim's libido is obviously far beyond yours. Keep this in mind when deciding to crossfit. For not only will you be out the cost of a gym membership, but also the cost of one to two dozen penis pumps.

#6 Tue, 01/18/2011 - 10:24am

No doubt CrossFIt is a great workout. I would agree with PKonohia. And go on to say that over training (in any routine) will only slow you down. Have a year program and a weekly program. You should do something every week for all aspects of your training (strength, flexibility, aerobic, anaerobic, recovery etc) but how much you do of each depends on your yearly program.

"I was thinking about switching the C2 rower program with a V1"

I would guess that rather then doing the rowing pieces on the concept2, you would do the same workout on a V1? Wouldn't hurt, but why not do both and be more efficient with your time on the water/gym?

#7 Tue, 01/18/2011 - 10:29am

I'd echo that CF provides you a high level of general fitness and can make you better at "your sport". that said, you do need to do enough workouts in "your sport" too! 3-4 CF workouts a week combined with team and solo paddling does make one ripe for overuse injuries.

I recently found http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/ which helps address some of the range of motion/overuse/flexibility issues that show up with chronic CFers

have a look there's bound to be some that assist paddling related issues too.

my .02

Open Ocean Outriggers
www.kialoa.ca
www.outrigger.ca

#8 Tue, 01/18/2011 - 3:08pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.264 seconds.