Difference in Makana Ali'i "old Style" & new

I am wanting to know the differences in Old Style vs New style?

Does anyone here have both or know the differences? Any pictures of old vs new style?

Submitted by ChadRex on Thu, 04/14/2011 - 1:29pm

old style is like a tear drop shape while newer style is more like a tahitian style where there is more shoulder.

#1 Thu, 04/14/2011 - 1:35pm

@eazypaddler thank you for the reply.. i kind of thought that might be the difference, how do they compare in performance? Stability..Structural strength?

#2 Thu, 04/14/2011 - 2:56pm

mind you "old style " is my 2006 model compared to my 2010 model.

#3 Thu, 04/14/2011 - 2:57pm

Stability.. Structural strength.. it is only a piece of wood wrapped in carbon and resin man, although it is made with love of course.
Comparison in performance?? A 2x4 in the right hands can outperform the "best" paddle used by a lesser mortal. Its really not about the paddle, but the one holding the lumber.

Just get out there and paddle, and dun worry so much.

#4 Thu, 04/14/2011 - 4:51pm

The new "old" style is high shouldered and similar in shape to a Kialoa Lanikai or what eazypaddler calls "tahitian" style. The new "new" style is tear drop or rice paddle shaped like the old "old" style but at 9 7/8" wide versus 9 1/2" and no dihedral on the power face.

I like isotopez's comments...If it feels good, use it. A paddle alone does not make you faster or a better paddler.

#5 Thu, 04/14/2011 - 9:28pm

IMHO - disagree about the piece of wood wrapped in carbon and resin. Much like a canoe, it should be much more than just the wood/foam-core, fiberglass/carbon and resin. It is about the paddler, the paddle and the canoe, all as one. One can't really work without the other two. First time picked up a Pure paddle, it felt good, had good balance and good feel to it, and sure enough it felt great in the water. Same when I tried other people's makana ali, just feel right somehow. I remember holding a makana paddle when I started paddling, not knowing what a makana paddle was, and thought wow, this paddle just feels right. Quikblades never quite felt right for me, but they work great for others. I do believe that having the right paddle for you will make you a better paddler.

#6 Thu, 04/14/2011 - 11:04pm

@Paddle_easy

"It is about the paddler, the paddle and the canoe, all as one. One can't really work without the other two. Same when I tried other people's makana ali, just feel right somehow. I remember holding a makana paddle when I started paddling, not knowing what a makana paddle was, and thought wow, this paddle just feels right"

I couldn't have stated it better. nicely put.

@ScarySlow thnx for reply , I agree it is more a matter of technique and time on the water that improves ones performance.

I have a good idea of which paddle style I feel best with in an OC-6

thanks all for the replies..

#7 Sat, 04/16/2011 - 9:14pm

ya know what I meant.. was trying to convey that its not really all about the equipment, it helps, but doesn't define things.

#8 Fri, 04/15/2011 - 8:23am

Uncle Les told me that he is trying to get people away from the "tahitian" style blade and back to the blade with the lower shoulder. He told me that the higher shoulder just adds more resistance because the surface area is a waste in comparison to the lower shoulder blades. It makes sense to me, because I had a tahitian style blade, but the blade that i use now is a bigger blade but with a lower shoulder, which allows me to get more of a grab, but be able to pull through the water faster than a higher shoulder.

#9 Fri, 04/15/2011 - 12:22pm

i'd go so far as to say that the higher shoulder would probably only be useful for paddle steering. that's the only time it makes a difference to me. when using a low cut shoulder in the rudderless response is definitely not as good.

#10 Fri, 04/15/2011 - 1:17pm

@thespear I have read that smaller blades in general put less stress on the joints and increase a paddlers SPM.

See the link below where Al Ching did sort of a case study with Danny changing blade sizes and how the smaller blade decreased his time per mile

http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com/search?q=ching

#11 Fri, 04/15/2011 - 4:19pm

I think that Shell Va'a would disagree with the whole smaller blade for higher SPM thing. Al's research is pretty sound, but I've seen Shell paddle at about a 75-80 SPM with high-shoulder teardrops, (about 9.25 x 20.5 if you're wondering) for five hours at a time. And I think they do pretty well with those numbers.

#12 Fri, 04/15/2011 - 5:14pm

can I get a "like" button for the above comment

#13 Fri, 04/15/2011 - 5:15pm

long live the juice

#14 Fri, 04/15/2011 - 6:07pm

@goto As most agree each paddler will have varied results.
Fitness technique is the ultimate factor, which is why so many paddle styles and shapes are available.
There is no one size fits all just as different stroke techniques suit different teams.

#15 Fri, 04/15/2011 - 6:08pm

Chritobal Topa from "Huahine Rames" makes wonderful wood paddles. What I like the most is how he can balance the weight : the center of gravity of his paddles is right where your lower hand is on the shaft. It makes them very easy to swing back to the front.

#16 Fri, 04/15/2011 - 6:46pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.305 seconds.