Dimensions for the Scorpius--(as big as the Fusion?)

I need a huge canoe, I am 6'5", and i need 46 inches from the base of the footwells to the back of the seat,
currently I paddle on a borrowed older fusion. With a home-made custom seat, It fits me perfectly, super comfortable enough volume to support my extra pounds.

I want to buy an new scorpius, but when I tried to sit in a friends XM, the cockpit was about 3-4 inches too short even with a seat pushed all the way back. Is there a canoe out there for me, does the Scorpius offer enough room to the footwells, or is there anyone in CA that wants to sell me their old fusion?

Help........

Huli Boy

Submitted by jdeppe on Tue, 04/19/2011 - 8:25am

Have you tried a china scorpius xm? The footwells are 3 or 4 inches farther forward than a Hawaiian built XM.

#1 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 8:40am

Does that mean that the cockpit is longer, or just moved forward?
Do you know if the Scorpius, and the XM share a cockpit? Im hoping that since the regular Scorpius is wider, then that it may be longer also?

thanks

huli boy

#2 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 9:05am

The China XM has a longer cockpit than the full size or the custom xm. If your in Hawaii contact your rep and they can get you out on one to see if it fits for you.

#3 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 9:09am

Might want to look at the Pueo XL, or the upcoming Scorpius XL.

#4 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 9:42am

There are at least two different builders that make longer cockpits and at least one that makes adjustable footwells. i have no idea who the reps are for these builders in Cali.

longer cockpits are from http://kaiwaa.com/ and http://kamanucomposites.com/

and the adjustable footwells are from http://paddlesportsinternational.com/

contact info is there for all of them.

#5 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 9:46am

Thanks for the information,
I'm still going to try to demo the canoes, Maybe wait for the Scorpius XL, (when do you think it will come out?)

Does Outrigger Connection still make new Fusions?,
maybe I'll see if i can pick a new one instead.
(a used one would be better--Southern CA. area)

#6 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 11:27am

What is your weight? If over 230 then you are right on track with Fusion, maybe Zephyr, and Scorpius. Scorpius XL not good for you. Regular Scorpius with extended foot wells would probably be good.

#7 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 11:34am

Yes, Outrigger Connection still makes the Fusion.

#8 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 11:34am

Contact Kai Bartlett for your nearest rep - Kai Bartlett (Maui): 808-368-6333 kaiwaa1@hotmail.com
On their old website, they listed 2 reps in N. California but they don't appear the new one.

#9 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 12:05pm

Check Oceanohana.com for Kai Wa'a in Socal. Some time a few months ago someone posted on the outrigger yahoo group that they were bringing in Outrigger Connection boats to San Diego.

My China built XM measurers 43" from pedals to the back of the seat, the seat is the longest one offered by Kai Wa'a. The regular Scorp was way too short for my 35" inseam.

You may want to check with Western Canoe and Kayak near Vancouver Canada, last time I was there they had one or two Fusions. Maybe they'll have a truck going south sometime. Ocean Paddle Sports is making a north trip to WA sometime, I think in May or June, maybe they would transport a Fusion from Western C and K for a fee.

#10 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 4:50pm

Call Jill Schooler at Ocean Ohana and try the China XM- huge cockpit and floats heavy people well. I thought I wanted the Scorp but tried the China XM and preferred it plus it was about $1000 cheaper than the custom. Have fun.

#11 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 8:25pm

JJ,

NOt trying sound stupid here but Kai has a smaller XS, a 'mid' XM ... so

Can you explain what else the XL might mean ?

If going be the name / designation, it would be a bigger guys boat.

Thanks for clarification.
aloha,
pog

#12 Tue, 04/19/2011 - 10:12pm

Error on my part should have said "Scorpius XM might not be good choice for you"

#13 Wed, 04/20/2011 - 3:57am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.371 seconds.