Do I really want an OC-1?

I thought I wanted a one-man canoe and have spent hours researching this forum. But right now I am totally spooked by how fragile they are! I want something comfortable and lightweight, but it's the way they're constructed to make them weigh less that seems to make them so delicate. I'm also worried about buying used as opposed to new. I'd like to not spend a lot to start out, but older equipment could have problems sooner.

Before I got so nervous about all this, I was considering a used (gently, I hope) Fuze which I think would be a comfortable ride for me. If I buy new, I'm considering a Pegasus. I've also considered Huki, as they're here in California. I'm 66 years old, 5'5" and weigh 130 pounds. I have not tried any of these canoes yet but hope to this week. Oh, I'm also worried about buying a canoe made in China.

So I'm a worry wart. By the way, reading the old posts here has been informative, but has also given me some good laughs. You guys are a riot!

Submitted by judybarnes on Tue, 01/04/2011 - 6:40pm

congrats! you have lived a full life and ready to go for more! Find an experienced lady paddler to help u w/ ypur choice. Have fun-

#1 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 8:42pm

Not sure what part of Cali you are in but hook up with the Wavechaser people who run the races if your into that side of things. You will find other clubs and info here too. http://www.hawaiianh2o.com

R

#2 Wed, 01/05/2011 - 1:29am

Hi
Biggest problem I have with how fragile the canoes are is loading and unloading from the car. They are light weight but at 20' long just hard to move around. We have a truck that I have to load it on top of and have not quite figured out how to do that by myself yet.

I would not worry about a Pegasus or Hurricane made in China. The companies seem to be able to manage quality control. But a word of advice, you would not believe how different the canoes will feel to you. You are in a tough situation as a beginner it is hard to be critical of a canoe as everything is new. You will be worried about tipping and not paddling correctly. Try every canoe you can.

Where are you located? I am in Newport and have a new Hurricane you can try out in Newport Harbor. I am 5'6" 110 lbs. My paddling partner is down for a few months with a broken arm, so I would love to paddle anytime. You can PM me or just drop me an email at jillv64 at gmail dot com.

Cheers, Jill

#3 Wed, 01/05/2011 - 5:46am

Thanks, Jill, Rambo, and PF.

I just got the idea to fly to Sacramento for one day this week to try out some Hukis, made in California. There's a V1-X on the website that I really like the looks of. White with red, orange, and yellow graphics on the deck. And it's a sturdier layup. I can try a Pegasus and a Hurricane in Redondo Beach, not far from where I am in Marina del Rey.

Jill, would a little sturdy step stool help in getting the canoe onto the truck? If I can't get rack space at our beach, I will also have to haul my canoe. My mom will let me keep it in her garage and luckily we both live just minutes from the beach. One reason I wanted to get the used Fuze is that it will (I hope!) come with rack space, a precious commodity.

#4 Wed, 01/05/2011 - 6:12am

Hukis are very sturdy. We have a fiberglass one down at the club...still solid after years of abuse. Performance wise, the more modern models are much better, but Huki is fine for your purposes, super comfy and Ummuuuurhican made.

#5 Wed, 01/05/2011 - 6:55am

Hello judybarnes
I have a china made Hurricane and have no regreats. would love to try others but would still probly wind up on a Hurricain. Althow Huki will make it how you order it out of carbon kevalar fiberglass or combo's. kevalar is pleanty tuff. you could reenforce seam's and that would strenthen a canoe. canoe's are being made with auto motive paint now and that is lighter but not as tuff as gelcoat. and then when you have a canoe you have the option of tweeking it .with mine I added a Kai Wa'a seat for controll and comfort and a Huki surfing rudder for smooth turns. I havent had the pleasure of trying a Puao I heard ther the a great ride.

Happy canoe year

#6 Wed, 01/05/2011 - 7:19am

Hi Judy,
Yes I will try a step stool. I use cradles so that even makes it more difficult to load.

It does look like Jude (Huki) will be at the Santa Barbara Race on Jan 15th as well as the San Diego Race on Jan 29. Both of these races have nice calm places to demo his canoes. If you give Jude a call he will bring down what ever you want to demo. He is a great guy and very helpful. We have a new V2X and love it. I did demo all his one man canoes down at Dana Point before deciding on a one man.

Cheers, Jill

#7 Wed, 01/05/2011 - 7:37am

Jill, thank you for that idea. I didn't think of it even though I checked his calendar!
Jan. 15 would work out great.
I'll e-mail him right now.
I sent you a private message, by the way. Nothing earth-shattering, just more rambling from an indecisive mind.

#8 Wed, 01/05/2011 - 7:43am

Hi Judy.
Just thought I'd throw in my 2c worth...
For your size & the conditions you'll most probably be paddling in, I'd recommend a second-hand Hurricane for these reasons:
- one of the lightest canoes around = easier handling
- plenty of them around = cheaper used canoes
- excellent quality
- one of the easiest canoes for beginners to paddle (very stable)

The Fuze is also a great canoe however not as good as a Hurricane in flat conditions. Don't worry about Chinese made canoes - they're made in factories owned & run by paddlers so quality is very good.

Good luck & happy paddlin'.

#9 Wed, 01/05/2011 - 11:30am

Ditto on what Jill said, You will find Jude an honest straight forward guy, so be guided by what advice he gives you. If he thought one of his canoes was not right for you he would tell you, so trust him, he knows the area your paddling in and is highly respected in the industry and sport.
On a funny note, had to laugh, typical woman picking a canoe on color and looks....haha

Cali has some fun people involved in OC, so i hope your still up to a party and good time.

Just check that the canoe will fit in the garage, they are longer than you might think.

R

#10 Wed, 01/05/2011 - 11:57am

Hi Judy,

I have owned a Hurricane and have had my Huki V1-X since '06 and love her. I've had no issues and she looks as good as new. They are very well made and quite durable, I've been dinged by other canoe's in races with no marks left on my boat (wasn't the case with my Hurricane). Mine is the carbon/kevlar blend. Also it is a very comfortable ride.

For storing in the garage if you find your canoe is too long you can rigged it to hang diagonally on the wall. I'd also recommend buying a cover (both hull and ama) if one doesn't come with it.

My husband just traded his Hurricane in for a Pueo which will be here in April, I've paddled one before and can't wait to get on one again.

Good luck with your search and purchase.

K.

#11 Wed, 01/05/2011 - 5:14pm

Okay, I found out that there are still two rack spaces at our beach. That means I can buy whatever I want, and it's a load off my befuddled mind. Tomorrow I will test a Hurricane and possibly a Pegasus but I think for my use the Hurricane is better. No Hawaiian-style surf here and if there were, I doubt that I'd attempt it. Sunday I will test the used Fuze. January 15 at the Santa Barbara race I will meet Jude and try the latest Hukis. I think that's enough. Only because I can't find a Nai'a Iki around here. That sounds like the perfect canoe for me!

#12 Thu, 01/06/2011 - 12:36pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.206 seconds.