Double Bends?

I hear its bad to paddle with a double bend when everyone else in the boat has a straight shaft? is that true?

Submitted by PaddlingIsLife on Sun, 12/11/2011 - 10:43am

Ive heard that also Derick.

#1 Sun, 12/11/2011 - 4:25pm

Depends on the level of your crew. Most have more to worry about than different paddles.

#2 Sun, 12/11/2011 - 5:35pm

I dont see why it matters? If you all paddle the same, hit it hard up front and in time, should it matter?

#3 Sun, 12/11/2011 - 8:32pm

I know some old guys in my club who have double bend shafts. They tell me it helps relieve stress on the wrist so they have easier time with getting a longer-deeper stroke. The younger guys usually have straight shafts and don't complain much about their wrist and are pretty comfortable with getting a fast quick stroke when they need too. I did notice that all the steersman had really straight shafts, like really straight, but it didn't matter, they just do a lot of poking and not much stroking.

#4 Sun, 12/11/2011 - 11:10pm

"they just do a lot of poking and not much stroking"
Who you got steering, Pocahontas and Pokemon?

#5 Mon, 12/12/2011 - 3:10am

Due to the double bend of the shaft, the angle of attack at which your blade enters and exits the water is different than a straight shaft.

From what I've seen in my limited paddling experience, and applying some physics, the fastest crews will have the same blade with the same shaft type (different lengths of course) to really dial in the stroke motion.

If you watch some videos of the Tahitians and the best Hawaiian clubs, most of them will be using the same type of paddle.

#6 Mon, 12/12/2011 - 3:37am

I was always told that its best when everyone in the crew has the same paddle type ( single or double bend). Apparently mixing and matching makes getting the timing down just a bit harder. But like kayaker1 said, I'm still very much a malahini so the problem is the guy in my seat, not the paddle in my hand.

I will admit, the double bends do look cool. I'm getting one as my OC1 blade =)

#7 Mon, 12/12/2011 - 7:16am

Steerer always has straight shaft. have they tried bent to be the same as the rest of the crew. I saw on myth busters that 3 bent and 3 double bend with bring your average hull speed down.

Just get some mean dna and paddle hard.

#8 Mon, 12/12/2011 - 3:36pm

0.2$
In change races you could have paddles that are the same [crew set] for the front five. and train with them so there is no transition and no matter what one they wind up with they will be the same. Steer would have a different paddle maybe straight or less bend, and more blade area. As for a bend it seams to take a bit off, but the Tahitians make it work.

#9 Mon, 12/12/2011 - 6:26pm

if you hold your paddle in the correct place, on the bend near the blade, it should not make a noticable difference. if you choke up a little too much you will loose the front of your stroke and be more prone to pushing off instead of pulling, not good. bent steering blade, not. comment on change race very appropriate.

#10 Mon, 12/12/2011 - 7:26pm

@smonohan- "more prone to pushing off" push off what?

Your punctuation is the worst this blog has ever seen. EVER!! Maybe worst the internet has ever seen! These Tahitians one this site are better at it than you, and they learned the language from watching rap videos.

#11 Tue, 12/13/2011 - 1:52pm

Yeah Monahan! Whats with the shit punctuation? Poor Max and Jack. What a horrific future lays ahead of them. BTW, how the hell did you pass the HFD exam? :)

#12 Tue, 12/13/2011 - 3:10pm

Monahan just woke up from his 5th nap of the day at the fire station, let's not be too hard on the guy. Actually on second thought, heckle the hell outta that bald headed Floridian. :-) Go get him KGB

#13 Tue, 12/13/2011 - 4:59pm

@healthyearth
Please... never ever watched rap videos. Some of us learned english listening to ACDC and Motorhead !

#14 Tue, 12/13/2011 - 6:55pm

same blade, same shafts, better blend. BTW, Rap sucks and if you learn to speak english from rap videos you'll sound like an idiot..LMAO!!! @ Hiro, Rock & Roll, Baby!!!!!

#15 Wed, 12/14/2011 - 6:47am

same blade, same shafts, better blend. @ Hiro, Rock & Roll, Baby!!!!!

#16 Thu, 12/15/2011 - 1:20pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.208 seconds.