Finger Pain after paddling- bruised tendon?

I get a good amount of pain after practice right under the right knuckle of my middle finger, right hand. Feels like its sore right in the crease between my palm and finger. My sports med said its a bruised and inflamed tendon. He said ice and ibuprofen should mellow it out and to try to pad it or my paddle in some way so it can heal quicker. He said its also a pretty common paddling injury and no need to stop paddling unless the pain becomes unbearable. Anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions? Or does anyone know of any product or way to pad the grip of my practice paddle? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Submitted by acolytephoto on Thu, 06/09/2011 - 2:42pm

You could try taping your hand or wearing gloves, that would definitely help

#1 Thu, 06/09/2011 - 5:24pm

I had the exact same thing. I even went to the doctor and they took an x-ray but they couldn't see anything. I took a break for about a week and the pain went down but not away. I slowly paddled more and it went away after a month or two. What seemed to work for me was stretching my fingers by pulling my finger tips back throughout the day. I still do this. I haven't had that problem since. Just baby it for a while until it feels better and keep stretching it out. I'm no doctor but this worked for me.

#2 Thu, 06/09/2011 - 5:48pm

Have you been paddling a long time? It seems like these hand/wrist problems can be worse when you're starting out, but go away when you learn to relax that grip a little. Flow like watah!

#3 Fri, 06/10/2011 - 6:15am

Recently they told me I have osteoarthritis. I was moving like the rusty tin man . and the hands the pain would go up the arm and would make it hard to grab the paddle. but the way they found that was through x rays.

#4 Fri, 06/10/2011 - 7:38am

Couple of things you can do. DMSO(industrial solvent) can alleviate some of the inflammation. Nasty stuff though, gives you garlic breath. Make sure your skin is clean, cuz it leaches into the bloodstream. It is used on race horses. Ice.

#5 Fri, 06/10/2011 - 8:54am

Are you serious ?

#6 Fri, 06/10/2011 - 3:03pm

http://www.dmso.org/articles/information/muir.htm

a biased article but interesting reading, Hiro.

#7 Sat, 06/11/2011 - 12:20am

I had a similar problem--my PT suggested gloves, which help a lot, and also tendon glides--a simple hand exercise you can find online. Good luck.

#8 Sat, 06/11/2011 - 2:05pm

I used to use the stuff when I was playing soccer to help sprains. The attached article from jc is interesting, didn't know they used it IV. The only place I've seen it is in health food stores.

#9 Sun, 06/12/2011 - 2:20pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.183 seconds.