fixing timing

Tried a search, but couldn't find anything.

This is my 2nd year paddling and still get 'called out' on my timing. Earlier this season, I thought I had it figured out, but I seem to be messing up more lately. This is especially true if I try and work on specific parts of my stroke..like reach or power.

I've been taught to watch the top hand, but that doesn't seem to work for me. I know you can't give me specific advice unless you see me paddling, but is there general advice you give to a paddler who is having problems with timing?

Submitted by fire4effect on Wed, 07/06/2011 - 1:32pm

seat 1 ;)

#1 Wed, 07/06/2011 - 2:00pm

It could help to see it as a tug of war team. your all pulling the rope at the exact same time. or pulling as one.

#2 Wed, 07/06/2011 - 2:23pm

Oh man, an unending discussion...for myself I have to watch my recovery and try and fit that to whomever I'm following. My 'natural' recovery is usually faster than those in front of me, so I push those ahead. If that's the case, I think about taking an extra split second and get a little more reach so that I hit the same time...that said, got to agree w/Hiro..go to #1. There is no real substitute for having a coach watch the line-up, or a sharp #6 doing gentle corrections on whoever is out.
When I'm coaching, when the crew gets real close, but not quite together I work them on paddling with their eyes closed to 'feel' the hit and glide (but if they're really out, then not ready for that). Other than that, the usual; all on 1 side forever, drop the rate until you're in sync, paddle an OC2 with your seat partner.
Better in time and less power than trying to muscle the boat...
Timing is focus and practice.
Don't get discouraged, keep working and you'll get the feel of when it's right; than it's all worthwhile.

#3 Wed, 07/06/2011 - 2:59pm

Video your practices. Watch it with a coach. I always see and understand my stroke and timing deficiencies better this way.

#4 Wed, 07/06/2011 - 3:40pm

oc-1 baby, timing is never off!

#5 Wed, 07/06/2011 - 10:28pm

more often than not the person with the timing problem is not coming out early enough and feels rushed to get their paddle in on time. their stroke rotation becomes middle to back instead of front to middle. try bending your bottom elbow earlier to get a cleaner, earlier release.

#6 Wed, 07/06/2011 - 10:30pm

Imagine trying to be the last one in the water, more often then not, you'll end up being in time

#7 Thu, 07/07/2011 - 5:37am

smonahan,
What you are explaining is how I feel right after I get called on timing.

Most of the time I lose timing on my left side. My stroke cycle doesn't feel natural/smooth like it does on the right. especially reach and recovery. However the more I think about it (ie trying to get more reach), the worse it gets.

Funny thing is when I'm tired, my stroke actually 'feels' better and easier to keep in time.

#8 Thu, 07/07/2011 - 8:20am

Forget about all the various "parts" of the stroke. Thinking about them will throw you off all the time. Focus on one continuous movement only, with everything happening up front. No think, just keep your eyes and head facing forward, so your brain not distracted and no more da jerk.

#9 Thu, 07/07/2011 - 10:32pm

Problems nailing the catch the same time as everyone else often begins at your exit. Make sure you pull your blade out at the same time, so you're not playing catch-up on the recovery. And no need to watch top hands. Top hand sync is really an indicator of good (or bad) timing rather than what you should be striving for. Top hand will show unity of power application more than it will help you with your blade placement anyways.

#10 Fri, 07/08/2011 - 5:24am

Some great advice here. I especially like what smonahan said, that sums up the majority of the problems w/ timing that I have seen. Don't worry about it too much, it'll come along naturally as you get more time in the boat, but we all know how much it sucks to have someone constantly harping on your stroke (most of us anyway).

#11 Fri, 07/08/2011 - 6:53am

"Harping!" Yeah! Sure got a lot of that, but not about my timing, but mostly "harping about using a "kayak stroke." Then later, received a lot of harping about using a "one-man stroke." Can't please em?

#12 Fri, 07/08/2011 - 3:52pm

@fire4effect - maybe you misunderstand the essence of OC6 paddling: it is a bit about performance/technique but mostly about brothers and friendship.

As a second year paddler you are as much of a friend as you can be; after 5 years it will be different, after ten, different again.

Better be born and raised together with the paddlers in your crew. That makes for real friendship and for a really good crew.

So when someone calls 'timing' - he actually wants to say ' hey, who are you, I barely know you '. And, of course, he is probably right.

The few times that your stroke is off - who cares, don't sweat it.

#13 Fri, 07/08/2011 - 11:00pm

video helps, to see the dynamics. sometimes it helps to move people around.

#14 Sat, 07/09/2011 - 7:09am

I had similar issues as a newer paddler. I was fortunate enough to paddle with an extremely strong and fast crew. Once I remember to breathe the timing came naturally. People always say 'feel the water' in weak boats there never seemed to be much difference if you were in or out. In a strong crew if you're out it feels like mud, if you're in like ball bearings. It let me concentrate on the other stuff once I fell in time.

#15 Sun, 07/10/2011 - 11:27am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.221 seconds.