Force Five iako repair or replacement - Pacific Northwest

Aloha,
does anyone out there have a connection for either new or used Force Five iako? I believe the front/back are identical. We're looking for a replacement to the rear iako that snapped near the spreader.

Even if it needs to be shipped from California or Hawaii, any suggestion is appreciated.

paul van zwalenburg
seattle outrigger canoe club

note: this was also posted on the yahoo "outrigger" group, so no need to reply here if you already did there.

Submitted by pvz on Mon, 08/01/2011 - 9:04am

Hi Paul, a local carpenter should be able to make you one using the broken iako or good one as a guide. He just needs to make a simple clamping jig to clamp and glue the clamp the lamination strips into the correct shape till the epoxy glue dries. Then shape the finished lamination's with plane, sander, etc. and then apply two coats of marine varnish.
You may be right about the front and back being the same, depends on the ama that you have. Easy to compare the two and distinguish.

It's not like most clubs would have heaps of spares, we do have them at my club Mooloolaba for the simple reason we have crazy steerers that surf the bay waves and break them. (Yes i'm one of them)

Good luck Seattle.

PS i'll be at the Alcatraz Race this weekend in San Fran and ask around just i case someone has spares.

#1 Mon, 08/01/2011 - 11:20pm

Aloha, Rambo.
Thank you for the reply.

I also got a couple of messages pointing me to Newport Aquatic Center as a possible source of knowledge.

If you learn anything in SF, I'd appreciate leads.

mahalo,
paul

#2 Wed, 08/03/2011 - 4:31am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.175 seconds.