Frozen Iakos in my OC1 - ideas anyone

I recently picked up a new OC1 in Hawaii. When I received it, I rigged it and un-rigged it a few times and the iakos fit snugly and didn't have any problems taking them out of the hull. I live by the ocean, so I kept the boat fully rigged for about three weeks. When I went to un-rig the boat after a long surf run, I noticed that both iakos would not budge from the hull. The ama side came off just fine, but the hull wouldn't budge.

Over the last three weeks, I've tried everything from WD40, Triflow, Silicone, Liquid Wrench, Household Ammonia, pipe wrenches, adjustable jaw pliers, and ice cold water. The problem with the sprays is that the gap between the iako and hull is so tight that nothing can get in there. Don't really want to torque too much with the pipe wrench because it might just twist the metal completely.

I'm going to try a CO2 fire extinguisher to cool the aluminum so much that it contracts. If that doesn't work then my last resort is to cut both iakos and "fold" the remaining stub so I can remove it. I'd hate to do this unless it was absolutely necessary.

I was hoping someone reading this forum might have had a similar experience and could possibly share their success story.

Mahalo

Submitted by keanu on Sun, 06/26/2011 - 8:14pm

Figure you may have already but try call the manufacture.

Unless you jammed them in there with a bunch of sand, sounds like some corrosion is keep them in there but could / should not be so bad if everything new like you are describing.

Remove the locking bolts or push the spring buttons all the way in and out of the way so you don't have to deal with these and >>>

One more thing to try is Simple Green ... This has worked for me in the past to break down the corrosion that is formed from SS hardware bolted into aluminum. Turn so gravity helps and keep it soaked. Give it a day or longer if you can and start to break things loose with MICRO movement ... Just little wiggles, with the iako, you might even try pushing them IN a tiny bit, just to get some movement going. Keep the Simple Green going in as you do all this with a spray bottle or something. Just keep wiggling / twisting .. Should be no need for heavy handed action. Once you get that tiny bit of movement, you got it.

aloha,
pog

#1 Mon, 06/27/2011 - 8:38am

You could also try to use some acetone to further break down any binding material that may be in the iako slots. We use it at work to degrade any excess epoxy resin that gets on our carbon material, so be careful with it.

#2 Tue, 06/28/2011 - 5:43am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Mahalo for all the input, please keep them coming.

#3 Tue, 06/28/2011 - 11:27am

Cha go bang em wid one rubbah hammah, maybee work? No sked, pull & twiss em out - use your legs for push out - garraens ball barrens the buggah come out...?

ps: I no mean smash um wid da hammah. Jus go tap tap a little bit like you go open one stuck jar. Aftah dat, wiggle it (like pog sed) bak n 4th, up n down, but no crack da fiberglass. Doo dis everyday, bumbye shee goin surprise u and come out. Me? I get opposite problem, so I wrap tube with duct tape befoh I puinsai. I always clean my aluminum iako with Endust.

#4 Tue, 06/28/2011 - 8:47pm

Try some Lime Away and or CLR (calcium, lime, rust) Cleaner as they may help in breaking up what might be locking up the iakos.

#5 Tue, 06/28/2011 - 9:05pm

koacanoe........

you one funny buggah, garraens ball barrens!!!!!!!!

#6 Wed, 06/29/2011 - 5:15am

what's that stuff in old thermometers? that stuff is slipery .

#7 Wed, 06/29/2011 - 5:32pm

Mulus, you mean that stuff us kids use to play with to make our old coins shiny? That stuff inside the medicine that sting more worse than Iodine when we paint our strawberries and coral cuts, but heals them real fast? And now that stuff contaminates all our favorite fishes, so can only eat fish every other week? I think I know the stuff you mean, but if they know you get some, watch out, the G-man going look for you.

#8 Wed, 06/29/2011 - 11:38pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.204 seconds.