Fundraiser for Dolan Brothers

Aloha Paddlers,
We are having a fundraiser for Patrick and Ryan Dolan to assist these two amazing athletes attain their Olympic dream next year in London. They are training so hard to represent Hawaii and the U.S. in sprint kayaking events, and continue to do so even without funding from the U.S. Olympic committee. If you are able, please join us in supporting Patrick and Ryan by purchasing a $5 raffle ticket (or a few raffle tickets :)) This is for a custom kai wa'a one-man canoe and the winner chooses the model he or she wants. The winning ticket will be drawn at the HCRA State Championship race on Maui this summer, and the winner does not need to be present to win.
If you have any questions and/or would like to purchase tickets, please contact:
Ann Dolan Van-Oss at 808-429-2663 (Oahu)
Peter Konohia at pkonohia@gmail.com (Maui)
Mary Bartlett at places.1@hotmail.com (Kaua'i)

Mahalo!

Submitted by paddlefast on Mon, 04/11/2011 - 9:44am

Hows it Paddling Ohana.....

Wanted to keep this thread on the front page. Come on gang and help the puppies acheive their goal. London gang...locals in the Olympics. Sounds good yeah, "Locals in the Olympics"..someone make a shirt with the Dolan boys faces on it...sell it...all proceeds go to the cause.

Get hold of Peter and Mary as soon as you can...or...buy one six pack, then buy one ticket, then buy one six pack, then buy one ticket...or better yet, no buy the six pack, just buy the tickets. Before you know it, States will be here and the winner will be annouced. Way to go Kai....

Jaws Out.

#1 Wed, 04/20/2011 - 1:22pm

Slow mail mailing addresses please, so can just mail the check?

#2 Wed, 04/20/2011 - 9:12pm

I think it terrible that the Hawaii paddling community hasn't come together to better help these guys out. The blame doesn't solely lay on us. I've been asking for them to set a goal and let us know how close they are to reaching it. We as paddlers like goals to reach. So if we saw a goal and a up to date tally on donations I believe we would donate more. If the goal has to be revised then so be it but at least give us something to measure. It seems as if Kai wa'a is always stepping up to help out these two. So congrats to him, but us mere outsiders need more info so we know what exactly needs to be done.

All good fund raising orgs give goals and status of donations but for some reason these guys don't. Give us a dollar amount that needs to be received then tell us how close you are. Then I bet or hope we do it. The fundraising guys need to do more than to say .......please donate.

#3 Wed, 04/20/2011 - 11:08pm

healthyearth.....point made.

I think this is the second time Kai has stepped up with a boat. If I not mistaken, the first go round might have generated close to $10,000...not sure, I may be way the hell off, but it did produce some serious kala from the paddling community. I am no way associated with this fundraiser. I know the puppies well and know Peter Konohia well. I am just want to keep this on everyone's minds by trying to keep the thread on the front page.

Eh, healthy earth....earth day tomorrow, have a good one.

jaws out.

#4 Thu, 04/21/2011 - 12:15pm

Aloha! Those wishing to help support and purchase tickets for the Dolan brothers may make their checks out to:
HCKT - Dolan Brothers
and mail to:
Ann Dolan
115 Kuuala Street
Kailua, HI 96734

Since November 2010 when USACK pulled funding from HCKT's training program, Patrick and Ryan have relied solely on donations and fundraising. These efforts have been spearheaded by Ann and family and friends who are just as passionate and determined to see these two young men make it as Patrick and Ryan are with their training and racing to achieve their dream. Healthyearth does bring up a good point so I called Ann this morning to ask her about the monies that need to be raised. She said according to the coaches, Patrick and Ryan need $20,000 each for training, traveling, and racing through the Pan American games which are in October. $40,000 and so far their fundraising efforts have raised $15,000. I don't know if this answers all of your questions, but I hope it helps. To find out where Patrick and Ryan are and how they are doing you may go to their web site at www.dolanbros.com

#5 Thu, 04/21/2011 - 2:07pm

Right on PaddleFast.....there it is gang, $40,000!!! BuYah....gotta go for it. Common gang, can do....even if you don't want a Scorpius of your choice, these two boys are the real deal, so no buy the cold pack this week, send the kala to the Dolans. Alright....

Hey, my shirt idea....anybody get connections with any shirt printers?? I tell you...."Locals to London 2012"...picture of the two boys paddling, "Locals to London 2012" underneath, and underneath that have "Dolan Brothers" and underneath that "Kailua, Hawaii" with the zip code. What you think?? Print'em up, sell'em, proceeds to the boys and their coach. Have them ready for States. I need a gorilla-gorilla size. The make'em big on Molokai.

Jaws Out.

#6 Thu, 04/21/2011 - 3:41pm

I enjoy the enthusiasm of the few people who have bothered to read this post. It am willing to bet that most people see the headline and skip this post reading all together. I always hear and read people talking about the sport needs grow and get more recognition which in the end means more dollars in the sport, ie sponsorship to continue races or support for overachieving paddlers. We want that - yet we aren't even willing to help our own in a significant way. Enough of me being nancy negative.

Here is my offer.. However much money is raised by this thread by Sunday afternoon (this is when I get back from Maui to Molo) I will match by buying tickets from the Oahu vendor. I will match up to $1000.

When someone buys a ticket from reading this post just post that you donated or bought a ticket, how much, and from whom. I will ad it up when I get back and then verify with the Dolan lady that is listed above.

#7 Thu, 04/21/2011 - 4:12pm

Brah...you doing it!! Happy Earth Day to you too....I putting my $$$ in the mail right now. I live on Molokai, so I hope my donation going count and meet your deadline. Tanks hah for stepping up.

way to go.....

#8 Thu, 04/21/2011 - 4:31pm

props to kai for stepping up to the plate. what ms.dolan should do is put on a coupla races like paa or kanaka ikaika and raise some funds that way. get the two boys on tv/news, maybe ron mizutani can do feature on them and let the people of hawaii know who these guys are and what they're about and what's needed to make sure these two local boys compete as olympians for the USA and the state of hawaii. i just don't think people outside of the paddling community knows who these two are. the people of hawaii always pull for one of their own, remember our little league world series teams. i think the fund raising organizers gotta get more creative and really push to get these brothers the recognition they deserve. just selling raffle tickets and asking for donations on oc-paddler ain't gonna cut it. races,benefit concert at maybe duke's or similiar venue, car washes are all possibilities to raise funds. aloha and goodluck!

#9 Thu, 04/21/2011 - 4:48pm

OK Happyearth,
$50 in the mail today from Guam. It won't make it to Kailua by the time you get back, but please count in total.
(Fantastic gesture by the way!)
Stoked to be strokin...

#10 Thu, 04/21/2011 - 5:05pm

For those who are doing the Maui to Molokai race this weekend, I will be setting up a table selling raffle tickets during registration (4/22 Friday from 5 - 6:45 pm at the Na Kai Ewalu - Hawaiian CC grounds).

Locals To London 2012

#11 Thu, 04/21/2011 - 7:24pm

Ratchet- how much did you send in? PM me if you don't want to say public. I think you should post so everyone can see that people are donating. I want to know so I can keep track.

Old guy- as long as it's on this post it counts.

Do it on honor system.

If anyone has friends tell them to post on here what they donate.

#12 Thu, 04/21/2011 - 9:11pm

how much are the tickets? $1 each?

I'll take xxx towards that total. I could care less about the prize. go get em' boys.

I pm'ed you healthyboy.

#13 Thu, 04/21/2011 - 11:57pm

Hey Earth....I pm'ed you my donation amount. Holiday today no mail, so the Dolan's not going get the mail until next week, but I know my total going count. Also, I like win one Scorpius....

#14 Fri, 04/22/2011 - 8:09am

HealthyEarth,

Josh Crayton and 404Ching are in for $100. Check's in the mail to Ann Dolan. Aloha.

#15 Fri, 04/22/2011 - 12:06pm

Thanks JC and 404

#16 Fri, 04/22/2011 - 12:12pm

$695 from Maui tonight at the Maui to Molokai race registration.

Locals to London 2012

#17 Fri, 04/22/2011 - 8:29pm

For all those who bothered to read this and acted to help out- check sent $1k.

Send me my tix Ann. Please

My address is on the check.

#18 Mon, 04/25/2011 - 4:23pm

Hows it Earth....tanks hah for stepping up. Hope others will as well....I'll have your 2 man at Kalua Koi on Sat. Might run into you then.

Jaws

"Locals to London 2012"

#19 Tue, 04/26/2011 - 9:03am

$20 check sent today....

lndbrusr

#20 Wed, 04/27/2011 - 12:55pm

Mrs. Dolan,

Where are my brownies?

This is also a good excuse to get this post on top and viewed again.

Seriously though, where were my brownies?

#21 Mon, 05/23/2011 - 5:50pm

All the brownies ended up in Kaaawa. Hekili, over and out.............

#22 Mon, 05/23/2011 - 7:03pm

Hows it Earth...good to see you on the aina this past weekend. When you ready to send the Kapa'a back to Molokai, don't forget to give me a shout out...the boys would love to take her for a couple Kamalo runs. See you soon.

"Locals to London 2012"

JawsOut.

#23 Mon, 05/23/2011 - 8:59pm

Earth! Those brownies were great! Did you get your batch? Maybe I got yours? Really good! Ann Dolan rocks!

#24 Mon, 05/23/2011 - 9:30pm

Eh Hekili,
Time for revive the Trout Farm Knockout for K-1 on the Kahana Valley River? This should be a good fun fund raiser for the locals going London? I wonder how many canoe paddlers can balance and paddle those tippy boats like the Dolans? Everybody going capsize and have a good time. The Townies get the Ala Wai and the Kailua paddlers get the Swamp, but us guys get the river and the lion. Ok cuz, get your k-1 out so we can borrow? Save some brownies for laters?

#25 Mon, 05/23/2011 - 10:14pm

Ratchet- I'll send to you next week if you like. Then you send back after a month or so. Want it on Maui (so you guys can paddle Pailolo) or sent straight to Molokai? Don't be scared just say the word....I'm at your mercy. You've been good to me, so what you want you get. But.... I'm looking for some deer hunting partner on Molo so maybe you can point me in the right direction one day. I will have a couple buddies from Arkansas visiting in September and they want to do some hunting. So.......can you point me in the right direction one day? No matter the answer I'll send boat over next week if you like.

Paddlefast- I'm going to get to the bottom of this brownie situation. I told my teammates I had brownies from Mrs. Dolan and then I looked like a fool at the end of race. If you ate my brownies and if you knew they were for some Haouli on Oahu I'll have deep mixed emotions.

#26 Mon, 05/23/2011 - 10:46pm

Hey Earth...PM'ed you. Check it out.

#27 Tue, 05/24/2011 - 8:15am

You know every time I drive down the Ala Wai or over the Kalakaua, McCully and Ala Moana bridges, I start a parade behind me as I drive real slow watching these Olympic paddlers train. We are so lucky to have them train here and expose our kids to what elite paddling is all about. Too bad the tourists don't know about this? Maybe, they can become a helpful source of donations with a little bit of info given to the travel people about training times and days, so they can watch along the banks of the Ala Wai? Maybe permission to post some signs informing the public of this and where to make donations would be great? Anyway, I'm mailing my check today, for still get time.

#28 Thu, 07/21/2011 - 9:59am

Aloha Gang,

Last chance to win a brand new Kai Wa'a canoe. We will be selling raffle tickets at states in Lahaina on Saturday August 6. We will start in the morning and continue to sell up to the last second. The drawing will occur some time in the afternoon, but don't wait until then.

$5 a ticket.

Look for us under the Primo tent.

Remember, you don't have to present to win.

Locals to London 2012

#29 Mon, 08/01/2011 - 9:25pm

Just a quick note thanking everyone who supported the Dolan boys on this fundraiser.

Together, we were all able to raise $11,625. That is a total of 2,325 tickets sold.

There was a total of $1,670 raised at states this weekend alone.

Support came from all over. A lot of support came from people outside of Hawai'i. But the outrigger ohana here in Hawaii stepped it up and really showed their aloha for these two boys. Awesome!

Of course, big mahalo to Kai Bartlett for the donation of the Scorpius.

Unfortunately, this is just a fraction of the cost these guys need to continue. Our continued support is still needed. So if you would like to help, please contact:

Ann Dolan Van-Oss at 808-429-2663

Or send a tax deductible donation to:

Ann Dolan
115 Kuuala Street
Kailua, HI 96734

If you would like to write a check write it to:

HCKT

And put in the note section "c/o Dolan Brothers"

Mahalo again and imua to the Dolan Boys...go represent!!!

Locals to London 2012

www.dolanbros.com

#30 Sun, 08/07/2011 - 9:51pm

THE WINNER IS RENEE CHING! Coaches girls 12 at Hui Nalu. Also coaches Punahou KAyak we understand. She gives to the sport through her coaching so it is appropriate she received something in return for her coaching efforts. Coaches are so vital to the sport!!! She entered the drawing at the Hui NAlu regatta. She chose the XS. She thought Kai's phone call was a hoax and couldn't believe she actually won something. HAs never won anything before. So congrats Renee! Thanks to everyone who participated!!!

#31 Mon, 08/15/2011 - 8:34am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.207 seconds.