Heiva 2011 V3 Race

This video is shot from a go pro mounted on back iato of our V3. The race doesn't start till 6:18 into the video, i don't speak french so i was in the dark as to what the MC was saying and when it would start…

Seat 1 Tim Lara, Maui Hawaii Seat 2 Tainui, Tahiti (OPT A Seat 2) Seat 3 Maquer (Sp?) Tahiti (OPT Canoe Builder and past steersman for Shell Va'a during the 1990's molokai hoe wins)

Video: .be
on that same youtube account is a video of Eric Deane (steersman for OPT A) doing a down wind run on my carbon Fai3.

Pictures from the Heiva races can be seen at: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.817489991536.2290081.19508375

This is the V3 we are bringing to Hawaii/USA however this one was laid up super light since it would only be used for lagoon paddling. Maquer said its a very good shape for surfing… can't wait to do a Maliko on one, video will be posted :) If interested in getting a V1 or V3 from Tahiti send me a private message.

Submitted by mauitim on Thu, 07/07/2011 - 7:56am

Nice ad! Bet Keizo would like to see some ad revenue for that!

#1 Sun, 07/10/2011 - 3:46pm

Man, seeing Eric Deane surf that Fai 3 was simply amazing! Great video

#2 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 3:25am

I think the video is more a contribution to the community then an ad. But that's just my vote.

Question: Regarding the downwind on v1, what were the conditions on this day? Wave size, wind speed etc? Looks to be a light day, but nice footage, thanks.

#3 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 11:52am

Nice! Maui Tim is doing some work down there. He's getting some Va'a all the way up here to Seattle, a great service to the paddling community. As we know, no one is really getting rich from doing stuff like that, it's a labor of love, and the passion is contagious!

#4 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 12:21pm

Aloha Joe,
As with most down wind runs shot with a go pro it always looks smaller than it is. On this day the winds were about 15 and there was no ground swell to speak of. One big difference is that there is an outer reef which absorbs the waves and doesn't send them back out to build down the run, or give a cross bump.

Here is the V1 Down wind clip

#5 Tue, 07/12/2011 - 9:12pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.400 seconds.