Kamanu Composites 6man weight

Just wondering if these are the facts – Kamanu Composites 6man OC canoe weight is actually 267lbs (120Kg) all up ?

Submitted by goodwaka on Sun, 07/10/2011 - 11:27am

When we weighed it for Pa'a race is was 208.

#1 Sun, 07/10/2011 - 2:56pm

Aukina3: thanks!....so is that 208Lbs including iako's and ama ? and do you know if those reaching Australia are the same weight, or what

#2 Sun, 07/10/2011 - 5:53pm

@goodwaka - FYI - the Kamanu OC6 available in Australia is made locally at Tweed Heads, not imported.
They will be regulation weight - 130kg hull only.

#3 Sun, 07/10/2011 - 6:49pm

no ama and iako are seperate (nobody weighs boats fully rigged that i know of, not even sure how you would do that). The boat in australia is made locally there and I'm sure if you wanted a light one built they could do it. There is probably a price difference though. Travis Grant would be the one to contact for that info.

#4 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 8:03am

I don't want to buy an Australian made canoe.......only want the facts, because people have recently gone over there and are telling me that there are no weight restrictions, and that the new open class canoes weigh 120Kg all up (ama and kiato included) . I was also under the impression that weight applies to the vaka alone, so that having no rigging, a foam ama and aluminium tube iako would obviously give a final weight advantage. However, the apparent new trend here in NZ is to consider weight specification that includes an ama, and besides this trend (which may be unique to NZ) is the lame idea that everyone should be paddling the same design of canoe.

As it now appears; there is a min weight restriction of 130Kg, ama excluded...........which incidently is the same weight as the old Mahimahi 6man made by Monopoly Nui, which is the regulation racing canoe. This weight included stuff like cardboard and house building timber buried under polyester resin and e-glass, plenty of bog and even puddles of resin that I saw in some of them being made. In contrast a Kamanu Composites 6man built in PU foam cored sandwich is obviously waaaay lighter.

Instead of buying something as comparatively heavy as a Mahimahi, from Australia , it seems to makes more sense building a foam cored canoe right here........but on the other hand this may not be a bright idea given political restrictions.
Besides the politics, is the simple fact that building a 6man weighing around 100 Kg is less restrictive than building a 1man at under 16Kg fully rigged.

#5 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 12:41pm

@goodwaka - why don't you build a foam core and test the market, you never know until you try it. Having a go at another canoe builder petty don't you think?

#6 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 4:14pm

@ kaihoe - building a foam core for the purpose of paddling is a better idea than for "testing the market"

If there were no restrictions on canoe designs for local competition the chances are that a Kamanu Composites 6man would very likely already be on order from the manufacturer across the ditch -- OK, that is my opinion, but the things I said about the other canoe builder are merely facts, not opinion.

#7 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 4:33pm

Goodwaka, Your a bitter man. Now that my Dad has passed on you've decided to attack Moana Nui again, give it a rest.

There is no monopoly, The reason the Mahimahi is used at the nationals,(where it is important to have same design canoe) is because there is the biggest number of them in the country, and easy to get a fleet of matching canoes. For all other races the design is unlimited.
Like Kaihoe said, design your own canoe, sell enough of them around the country, then challenge Nga Kaihoe to use your design, and STOP CRYING AND ATTACKING people.
After reading all your bullshit over the years i can understand why you and my dad had a falling out, and why nobody likes you.

Maui Kjeldsen

#8 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 4:47pm

Shees! talk about "ATTACKING people" it is very clear that you are as much of a hypocrit as your old man.

Truth of the matter is that 'kris' and I initially got on fine together, just like he initially got on fine with Victor Hawker.....you remember Victor?.
But things started to go bad when it became evident that I was not easy with all the smoking going on in the den/shop......I hate smoking with a passion. and was happier to move out of the shop and build Surfriggers over the hill in the shed (where I first met you).

So 'kris' did not like it when people wanted to buy the 1mans that I made as well as the Surfriggers, and he started his campaign to to try stop it........just like he made moves to stop Victor building the other modified 1990 6mans. He succeeded in this by getting the Mahimahi sanctioned....which put Victor out of business.

We hear the line all the time about"it is necessary to have standard canoes for National competition" and the same thing was tried in order to enforce the use of Surfriggers. But fortunately that gab did not get stamped, just like it would not wash to try enforce a one-design paddle on all paddlers.

Your 'advice' to challeng NKHOE to use "my" design shows complete lack of appreciation for anything other than modifying someone else's design and mass producing it. What you call "bitterness" is merely a lack of respect for a canoe builder who rides on other peoples work, and sure! 'kris' did not like it that I lost respect for him when I found out that he didnt have the talent to shape a canoe from scratch....yet claimed to have done so.

Still, he was an interesting character, and my heartfelt sadness at hearing of his death, after which I made the effort to get ti his tangi, makes rubbish of what you say

#9 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 6:43pm

Goodwaka, for Christ's sake keep your gob shut while things are still very RAW about KK's passing, have some respect man.

#10 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 8:44pm

Jeremy, my main issue is that you only present some of the facts, and you want people to believe that's all there is to it, and your the victim.
Please get over it and let your actions do the talking not your keyboard.

There is a lot of history to how and why the canoes were developed when there was very little available. You rubbish someone for an experiment (which was very different from anything else) That actually worked and then people wanted it.
I've said about all i want. I just wanted to let people know that your full of it.

Maui

#11 Mon, 07/11/2011 - 10:52pm

i remember victor, the reason why no one bought victors canoes is because they are shit. everyone i know that had one hated it. even his six man was shit. thats the real facts! he and yourself dont need anyone to put you out of business, your canoes do it for you. have a rezzza..

#12 Tue, 07/12/2011 - 1:24am

Looks like goodwaka is into self-immolation.

#13 Tue, 07/12/2011 - 8:04am

If it takes riding on a wave of hypocrisy and bullshit to survive, then I honestly dont think it is worth the effort.......frinstance -- Victor's work was not bad technically, but admittedly the hull shape of his canoes was crap. I have no idea where he got the lines for the 1mans and the 2mans, but the 6man was a modification of the 1990 model, which it'self was a modification of the Brander hull (first 6man canoe, which was apparently brought into NZ)
In contrast to what peowpeow says, I recently saw one of these Victor made models streaking ahead of the other local canoes in a regatta near here (recent Matariki event in Whangarei). Sure! a canoe only goes as fast as the paddlers powering it, and like I have been saying -- "good paddlers can make a canoe look good"

In connection with the above -- I couldn't stay to watch the end of that race, so do not know if the Manukau team took out that race. Perhaps someone who knows all the "facts" about canoes and paddling can fill in ??

#14 Tue, 07/12/2011 - 8:33am

goodwaka, your contributions to this thread are probably the most classless in ocpaddler.com history.

Have a good day. Asshole.

#15 Tue, 07/12/2011 - 2:22pm

Sure! "class" and "asshole" go well together in your scheme of things

#16 Tue, 07/12/2011 - 3:10pm

I think the Surfrigger still holds the course record in one of the long marathon races up here in Wa., even though plenty guys w/ Hurricanes etc. have done the race since then.

#17 Tue, 07/12/2011 - 4:10pm

surfrigger also still holds the fastest sprint times in nz nats. even though we have alot of tahitian canoes in the scene. nikolai titov 2:07mins 500mtrs.

#18 Tue, 07/12/2011 - 11:10pm

learn to run your business and friend paddlers and you might make sales. this BS you say does not help your cause. you keep digging and digging. keep it private and not on here. everyone already know whats your like.

#19 Wed, 07/13/2011 - 1:09am

Thanks for your advice MeanDNA......But you do not seem to know a lot about what goes on re: building canoes in NZ.
I will admit to fishing for info here on oc paddler.com, and have had the relevant questions answered, although it has been no pleasure to clash with certain people; they did however have the option to ignore what I said.
At least I have the facts rather than rather than lies dished out by some people.

#20 Wed, 07/13/2011 - 10:55am

I'm totally enjoying this. OCP was getting really boring so I was spending more time on TMZ, but really TMZ has been pretty crappy also as of late. Besides for the The Terminator sleeping with a pretty nasty looking non-cyborg, not much else going on.

Since we are talking about canoes; does anyone besides me think the HIKO looks a lot like a Pueo?
I imagine, as the builder's understanding of the science gets better, that all the conoes will look very similar.

I saw the Hiko on a trunk the other day with two other Pueos and I could barely tell the difference.

#21 Wed, 07/13/2011 - 2:38pm

Bro just build a 6man get it out there, Im building me one. NZ needs new 6man designs alot of paddlers want somthing different. Unfortunately because of our sprint nats most new paddlers, clubs/schools dont know anything other than the mahimahi.

#22 Wed, 07/13/2011 - 7:43pm

@Goodwaka - please build your own design and push them out to the market in NZ. No need for nasty comments about a great man in KK.

I been around and seen the 1990, BK Marine and Victor's W6 come and go for varying reason - the Mahimahi is a well designed and good all round waka for NZ conditions. But it wouldn't take much to advance the design, just do it.

This thread is getting more personal now goodwaka you should leave it and get a life - i remember you getting crap from Mean DNA last year about personal attacks on other waka builders...delete your account - please.

#23 Wed, 07/13/2011 - 10:07pm

wakadude: good one to work on something different.....go for it.

#24 Thu, 07/14/2011 - 9:08am

kaihoe: Thank Maui for getting personal and bringing kk into the discussion

Hey! all I did was compare the weight and laminate of a mahimahi to a state of the art sixman. Maybe you get touchy because I made a joke about the monopoly thing........well it is just my way of trying to laugh off a really costly and bad experience. So whoever you are, if you want the facts I would rather not go public with them, but will oblige by mailing or even telling you direct

#25 Thu, 07/14/2011 - 9:18am

goodwaka, you are the most idiotic "businessman" ever. To promote your product all you do is put down everything and everyone else, trying to make your canoes look good by default. Unfortunately for you, all the posters here on o c paddler know you more for being an asshole more than for building va'a. Why aren't your canoes as popular as those of kaimanu composites? Well, either they're pieces of shit, or paddlers just can't support such a bitter dickhead like you.
MR

#26 Thu, 07/14/2011 - 6:48pm

easy boys. play nice. in the end if we have a good time on the water that's all that counts.

#27 Fri, 07/15/2011 - 6:07am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.218 seconds.