Kaolele

Has anyone paddled the new Foti Bros./PSI Kaolele? I'm interested in your impressions on feel, etc and build quality.

Thanks.

Submitted by jam4413 on Tue, 08/09/2011 - 2:38pm

Interested in feedback as well, thanks.

#1 Wed, 10/19/2011 - 10:27am

#2 Thu, 10/20/2011 - 10:14am

diggin the makalei soundtrack on that video! very interested as well in the kaolele and would like to know more info on it if anybody has it or has demoed it! mahalo nui

#3 Sat, 10/22/2011 - 10:37pm

Got mine Saturday.
I like everything about this canoe.

#4 Tue, 01/10/2012 - 3:10pm

Secret, post a boat review vs what you've already ridden. very interested in this boat

#5 Sat, 02/18/2012 - 8:43pm

Still new at this, racing OC1 only since start of 2009. So, I'm not sure I can even write a coherent technical review. Full disclosure, I've ridden Fusion for a year and a half, then Pahoa for two years.
I'm 6'4" 218#, and still tuning Kaolele since getting it in January, cut-shaving the seat to fit, and getting the ama set.
I really like the volume of Kaolele; the canoe holds me, and though it is heavier upon picking it up, there is no question that it is a speedier straight-line canoe than the others, with extended testing behind this fact. I'm having to learn what to do with the extra straight-line speed while surfing. It quarters well, not quite to the extent that Pahoa quarters, but it certainly goes faster....so less worry about quartering when I'm blowing through peaks and doubling, tripling...
The rigging system is excellent, with the spring pins.
The footwell sliding system is ingenious, and includes variation on how upright you set the pedals, so it offers a range of comfort no matter how you like to position your lower legs and feet. It's more than just a sliding pedal that moves toward and away from the sweet spot.

Best thing to do of course is contact PSI and get on one for a demo.

#6 Thu, 02/23/2012 - 9:26pm

already done that, but dont got a PSI dealer on the big island. You said you like had a fusion too. How did you like that boat. Was looking into that boat too, but seems like nobody like the fusion. Is it really a snail in flat water conditions?

#7 Thu, 02/23/2012 - 10:22pm

outrigger connection make surfing machines. i currently have a fuze, and surfing is the only thing I'm good at in that boat. unfortunately, its pretty slow in the flats. I'm 6'2" 165, so i was looking at the helium, since its lower in volume, with the adjustable foot pedals for my height. ill probably be asking to demo any of their boats sometime this week

#8 Fri, 02/24/2012 - 10:07am

ryim- at your weight and height you should really demo the XS. Fits you perfectly if it is surfing and all around. I am short but a lot of other taller guys who have come from other canoes find it works perfect.

#9 Fri, 02/24/2012 - 7:47pm

Fusion was good first canoe. My parameters however led to sitting behind sweet spot, nose up. That led to Pahoa, super-comfortable, and it balanced just right. In time, I think I hit a pace limit relative to the field, so I tried Kaolele in several November test runs, flat and surf, and it led to a purchase. Sorry no demo yet on BI, but I'm sure the PSI team will see this and try to help reach you.

#10 Fri, 02/24/2012 - 10:14pm

I been talking to Jim email on two ocassions now. and not sure if they plan on having a Rep here. He told me I probably should fly up to Oahu and I could demo it there. I really dig the adjustable pedals, makes so much sense.

#11 Sat, 02/25/2012 - 7:38am

I've been meaning to respond to this for a while. Over Christmas break I had a lesson with Jim Foti and was able to paddle the Kaolele. It caught bumps very easily, had a nice glide, and was very stable even with the ama up in the air and wind coming from the ama side. It's a great boat, and definitely worth trying out along with the other top models out there.

#12 Sat, 02/25/2012 - 12:44pm

For you guys interested in Kaolele, the Solo results table doesn't show it but Kekoa Bruhn was also on Kaolele.
The boat performed great for me. I feel like I can keep improving on this hull, also, as I'm still learning what it can do after just three months on it. Keep reaching out to PSI for ways to demo Kaolele. I'm glad I bought mine. Aloha/Brett

#13 Tue, 04/17/2012 - 5:28pm

For Secret Weapon.

What is your opinion in paddling the Kaolele in place of an ocean kayak. I see that siting upright in a canoe will relieve back issues from siting in a kayak.

#14 Wed, 04/18/2012 - 7:03am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.139 seconds.