Keiki PFD recommendations

Hello *,

I just started teaching my 10yo and 12yo daughters how to paddle the OC1. I've been keeping them close to shore because I don't have PFD's for them yet. We practiced huli drills, but I still have them paddle parallel and close to shore. They are now bored and want to go farther out into the bay.

The 'kayak' ones seem too bulky...I saw inflatable ones at West Marine that seemed ok...but expensive...what about the inflatable fanny pack ones?

Submitted by fire4effect on Wed, 09/07/2011 - 11:30am

They may be too bulky for you, but Sam's Club still has the Body Glove PFD for women is size Small the last time I checked for $42.00. I bought the same in child's size and later bought the expensive surf ski one as they grew. Now they use leash because they hate pfds. Fanny pac's are ok, but need to be thoroughly rinsed out, dried and re-packed. For my peace of mind, I enrolled them every summer for swim camp at U of H. Main thing, they can swim at least a mile in half an hour? Remember, kind of hard for make them wear pfd when all the kids are paddling SUPs behind the breakers without them.

ps: Please note that the 1st and 2nd place Female 11 - 12 year old Division both swam the Waikiki Rough Water Swim in under an hour.

#1 Thu, 09/08/2011 - 11:49am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.293 seconds.