Lane one maui

Hui waa never had lane one. Whats up with that?

Submitted by fakarava on Mon, 08/08/2011 - 5:40pm

Lane 1 is the luck of the draw for the top crews of each association. Hui waa as well as other associations probably had the option of lane one, but might have taken lanes 2 or 3 instead. Talk to your Hui waa association rep who drew lanes for you guys. The answer lays there. Good luck!

#1 Tue, 08/09/2011 - 10:46am

Anykine got it right

#2 Fri, 08/12/2011 - 9:45pm

Fortunately the lanes were not too much of a factor on Maui this year. Normally it is the least fair race course for the states of all the islands. It is up to the different associations to accept a course, and hopefully 9 years or so from now the Associations can agree on a more fair course.

#3 Sat, 08/13/2011 - 4:11pm

Ouch!

#4 Sat, 08/13/2011 - 6:43pm

In 1999 when I coached Koa Kai's Novice B women (Hui Waa) we were undefeated, yet we got lane 14 and the girls had a fast current to paddle against. They came in second. Lokahi (also Hui Waa) who we had beaten all season was in lane one and beat us by a few seconds - ahh memories.
Also that day I was in the last race of the day, Masters which is one I will never forget because we raced in the dark. What a fun race. We turned before the flag (because about 4 other canoes were converging on that same flag). I think we were the second canoe across the finish line, beaten by another crew who turned earlier than us. This year is was way better and well run.

#5 Mon, 08/15/2011 - 10:17am

In 1992 Lokahi's 18 boys were dominant. They were assigned lane 1 at Ke'ehi lagoon. At that point Ke'ehi was not fully dredged. The last 75 yards or so leading up to the finish were so shallow that crews were turning on a buoy in waist deep water. The rear boat holder in lane one could actually hold boat without getting his shorts wet. In the deeper water at both the 1/4 and 3/4 mile marks the Lokahi's 18's flew and took the lead. Once the shallow water kicked in they got smashed by the outside lanes. That crew ended up finishing 3rd. To my understanding they were one of only two crews to medal in lane 1 the entire day

Going to Maui in 1993 Lokahi's 18 boys were undefeated. They had been just as dominant as the previous season. At Hanakao'o beach Lokahi was assigned lane seven while OCC was assigned an inside lane. Lokahi's 18's won the race by a fraction of a second.

Be careful what you wish for....

#6 Mon, 08/15/2011 - 6:00pm

Thanks for reminding me of that day on Maui Jeremy. Appreciate it! :-(

#7 Tue, 08/16/2011 - 6:28am

Hilo 2009 was another one. River was running.

#8 Wed, 08/17/2011 - 8:30am

Maybe request to HCRA that states be on the same course every year; Hanalei Bay.

• Fair course
  • Large venue/beach to host 20k+ paddlers, vendors and spectators
  • The mana is strong, special place
  • If you agree or disagree, simply comment on this thread. It would be interesting to see the consensus.

#9 Wed, 08/17/2011 - 8:36am

I have great memories of States in Hanalei! I paddled sophomores in 2001 states and our club won the 2nd division(Kahana Canoe Club..I think it was AA back then and top division was AAA). If only travel were like the old days where you could get tickets at the ATM for $25 each way....

#10 Wed, 08/17/2011 - 10:54am

Is fairness the only thing states are about? If so, then how about everyone races in the exact same canoe like world sprints? There is a big variation in the different koa canoes, and some clubs don't have a koa and have to borrow one so their paddlers don't get to practice in one. If it was uniform and everyone was in a mirage or a lightning, then all the canoes would be equal and all the paddlers would have a greater opportunity to practice in the same type of canoe they'll be racing in. But that's not really what it's about, is it? One of HCRA's purposes (according to the bylaws) is the preservation of tradition of koa canoes.

Another purpose of the HCRA is to "Promote competitive inter-club, inter-island, and international Hawaiian canoe racing." It doesn't say anything about every lane being exactly the same. They do promote fairness by trying to give each club and equal chance of getting a better lane. If states were always in the same place, that doesn't really promote inter-island racing (in this case I interpret inter-island to mean competition between clubs from different islands, not channel crossings) does it?

Also on fairness, how is it fair to paddlers from other islands if states are always in the same place? If it's always on Oahu, then Oahu paddlers always have an advantage. You're always going to have an advantage if it's on the island you live on because you'll be in familiar water, won't have the stress of traveling and sleeping in a bed that's not your own, and have more opportunity to buy lanes and enter more crews when they don't have the expense of traveling. You're also going to have an advantage if you're using a canoe you get to practice in.

So...fairness? Fairness for each individual crew once they get to states isn't what it's all about. How about fairness in getting the opportunity to compete in states? How about promoting the sport? How about tradition? Heck, Oahu already gets it 3x more than anybody else, so if it's all about fairness to the individual crews how about we do away with that advantage? Don't like that idea? Think Oahu should get it more because they have more people? If you think so then you must think giving more people the opportunity to race in states trumps making each lane of each race exactly fair to everyone.

Before you jump on the "always have states on [insert name of the island you live on]" bandwagon, at least first think about what regattas are really about. If you think it's all about getting a particular color of medal to hang on your wall, there are plenty of websites where you can order medals for a couple bucks each, that's a lot cheaper than a plane ticket.

#11 Wed, 08/17/2011 - 11:44am

@Maliko, interesting feedback. How do you take this as sour grapes? Its about holomua, working together to improve and progress. You have a way of making fairness sound like a privilege.

#12 Wed, 08/17/2011 - 7:42pm

I vote for Hanalei every year, by far the fairest course, best venue, one of the nicest places in the world...

#13 Wed, 08/17/2011 - 9:23pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.197 seconds.