Makana Alii Repair (epoxy or varnish or both)

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Makana Alli paddles are coated with varnish or an epoxy? I need to do some repair to my paddle which will include some fiber glass cloth -- the bottom edge has a split in the wood.

I recoated a previous paddle, that was flaking with Epifanes varnish and it came out so beautiful (about 3 coats). I guess I'm just wondering if you can mix the epifanes and the epoxy? I'm assuming I have to use epoxy for the glass job. But, I also need to refinish the shaft and was thinking to use the varnish.

Anyone have experience or ideas?

Mahalo,
Jason

Submitted by swell on Fri, 04/08/2011 - 1:18pm

I would mix batch of epoxy and hit the whole paddle at the same time.

Epoxy and varnishes are going to have different thickness and it may take 3 coats of varnish to equal one coat of epoxy on the blade since you're fiberglassin the split.

I would sand the whole shaft down to bare wood since you said it needs refinishing anyways. Hit the blade with a light 60-80 grit but don't go burning through the fiberglass weave.

Put a cheater coat of epoxy before you lay the glass down on the repair and then just brush on a layer over the whole thing. If you don't hang the paddle, you coat one side and then the other when the 1st dries.

Better yet, hang it by a thin wire around the t-top and then if theres any drips you can knock them off the edge of the blade. Less issues with a bumpy shaft that way since the resin is applied over the whole paddle at once. Bumpy shafts girls no like

#1 Fri, 04/08/2011 - 1:54pm

Thanks isotopez, I went out and got some epoxy and sanded her down. I hope I can get the repair stiff enough to hold up. I left just a few bumps as I'm sure there are some ladies that like the bumby shafts...

#2 Fri, 04/08/2011 - 4:41pm

A little follow up for people wanting to fix their own paddles. If you are going to lay any fiber cloth then do not hang the paddle. I would only hang the paddle for a final coat. The problem is that, with the paddle hanging, the fiber cloth will not stay put. It will eventually slide completely off the blade. My suggestion is to work with the fiber cloth area first, when repairs are done, then do a final coat that includes everything.

The gentleman at the store said I should use polyester resin. I'm very glad I didn't listen and went with the epoxy. I can feel it setting up very strong. I am hoping my Makana Ali'i will have a beautiful new life.

Makana Ali'i

#3 Sat, 04/09/2011 - 12:14pm

"The problem is that, with the paddle hanging, the fiber cloth will not stay put"

Hmm, what ounce cloth did you use? The reason I said to lay down a cheater coat under the glass was so it would stick but if its a large piece of glass, I guess you could let it kick a tiny bit before you hang so it doesn't move. Either way, good job..

And the only problem with epoxy is that it will yellow slightly without a uv resistant layer over it..

Looks nice though!

#4 Sat, 04/09/2011 - 2:10pm

It was pretty heavy, It was a fiberglass "tape" so I imagine around 10 oz! The plan was to cover the bottom two inches on the face. Anyway, the tape kept sliding and i kept scooting it back up. When I left and came back it had completely fallen. So, I'm putting another coat and trying it without the tape. If that doesn't work I will go back and just do the tape. But the epoxy alone seems really strong.

I guess I will put a third coat of something with UV protection. I've read that yacht builders are now putting coats of epoxy then coats of varnish on top for wood. I believe varnish is UV protected. Maybe I will put one coat of varnish, or, just get something in a spray can.

#5 Sat, 04/09/2011 - 5:20pm

No offense Swell but I think you may have been using WAY too much resin if the glass was sliding off . Either that or you had it fully wetted out but were only trying to 'hang' a 1/2" with the rest draping off or so or trying to wrap it ? .. Secondly, why did you not just turn it closer to horizontal ? Again, NOT talking down, just trying to see where you were on this as it should not happen. 10 ounce glass tape will stay put even if applyed upside down.

aloha,
pog

#6 Sat, 04/09/2011 - 7:25pm

no offense taken. that's why i suggest, for the future, fix cloth area first, laid horizontal, then do a final coat after that is dried and sanded. i was trying to coat the whole paddle at once, hanging from fishing line. the epoxy was as thin as it could be with the brush and the epoxy i had. no cloth hanging, it was cut to fit exactly. what happens is that gravity pulls the epoxy down the whole paddle and it drips off the end. the end is where the cloth was, so, yes the cloth became saturated and kept sliding off.

#7 Sun, 04/10/2011 - 8:31pm

What brand varnish did you use to finish?

#8 Wed, 08/31/2011 - 12:32am

Swell.... don't get varnish in a spray can! It's better to get buy a small can of UV protectant spar varnish to put over the epoxy. The epoxy is needed for the fiberglass but will breakdown from UV from the sun....that's why spar varnish is coated over the top of the epoxy. There is "man'0 war" spar varnish that comes in a spray can...but buy it at your own risk. I bought two cans to try to speed up the process a bit (I was trying to coat several paddles at once) and thought a spray can would help. But...bad mistake....half the time the varnish got stuck in the spray tip...other times it came out two fast and uneven but never would come out long enough to do one full coat over the paddle. I spent most of my time trying to clean the spray tips with paint thinner. I eventually went back to the store and bought a quart of uv protected spar varnish and coated it by hand.

Good luck on the repair.

#9 Thu, 09/01/2011 - 6:48pm

If you look after your paddles and place them in paddle bags/covers when you're not paddling, then you don't need varnish on your paddles, epoxy finish is fine. If you are the type of person that plants their paddle in the sand and leaves it exposed to the sun all day, then you have no need for varnish either, it will be rooted and you will be replacing it in 12 mths time anyway.

Canoes need uv protection protection more than paddles.

#10 Sat, 09/03/2011 - 9:52am

not to sure on re coating over ,carbon I remember failing bad years ago at a attempt. my brother is great at finishing on wood and he loves to say (sand and do anther coat.) of course with a sand with 220 grt. Rambo is right tho take care of your canoe and it will take care of you. & paddle.

#11 Wed, 09/07/2011 - 5:50am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.190 seconds.