Mana Blade's Edging Falling Off?

lately ive been hearing that the new mana blade's edging has been falling off, is this true? because ive been planning to get a mana blade.

Submitted by DerrickLiu on Fri, 09/23/2011 - 7:01pm

ouch. No whack canoe and your edge will be cherry. I'm sure this is isolated to the person using the paddle not the paddle maker. Mana Blades are well constructed, like Makana Alii and another guy I know...lol!!

#1 Sun, 09/25/2011 - 7:11am

derrick yeah he must be bashing the canoe .. because the edges we use is tough and also is wraped with fiber glass!

#2 Sun, 09/25/2011 - 2:05pm

Do not compare a mana blade to a makana alii in quality or customer service.

#3 Tue, 09/27/2011 - 12:54pm

So you are selling your Makana Alii blade cause you need the money.......and your looking to buy a Mana blade that cost the same amount.

Who says the future of this country is not in GREAT HANDS.

#4 Tue, 09/27/2011 - 2:14pm

im not selling my makana for a mana blade.

#5 Tue, 09/27/2011 - 5:03pm

It's just the way you paddle, it's not the equipment, it's the engine!

#6 Wed, 09/28/2011 - 5:38am

Derrick - about the edges falling off of the Mana Blades. Is this one of the New Mana Blades? If So, please have that person contact us so that we can find out what happened to the blade. If it is a manufacturer's defect then we will either replace or fix the paddle for them. Please have them email us at sales@paddleme.com or call 310.944.3909
Our edges are now more durable than the old Mana Blades.

SECONDDITCH ... Do you own or have you purchased a Mana Blade? Have you had bad customer service from PaddleMe Sportswear? Please explain. Because to make a comment like that I sure hope that you have something to base it on. If you had a issue with either I do apologize upfront.

#7 Thu, 09/29/2011 - 6:30am

PADDLEME SPORTWEAR: I will explain. I have never done business with you. I believe by your concern that customer service is very important to you. I have no gripes with PADDLEME and I am sure you are reputable. I have had and still own several Makana Alii paddles. Back to the Mana Blade....I did purchase a Mana Blade directly from Mana Blade before you started selling them. Before sending my paddle, the owner told me that there were some blemishes on the paddle but he would like to have me try it out. He told me that if I did not like the paddle he would make me another one. THe blemishes involved the edging color that seeped into the unpainted portion in several areas. I tried the paddle out and in a few weeks I noticed that the finish on the shaft started to peel off. I called the owner and he told me he would make me the new one. After not hearing from him, I called several times and left messages. After not receiving any call backs I gave up. I ended up getting rid of the MANA Blade by adding it to a boat I sold.

#8 Thu, 09/29/2011 - 1:27pm

SECONDDITCH -- Sorry to hear about your past experiences with Mana Blades, I can understand your frustration.
I can not answer for what happened back then but we are now making & distributing the Mana Blades.
I can guarantee that the Mana Blades are still handmade with great craftsmanship and we will stand behind our products.
As for the edge color seeping, that will happen from time to time when you are mixing a porous wood and a colored edging. We haven't had an issue with this but it can happen. I have seen other brands of paddle that are similar to the Mana that have that color migration.

#9 Thu, 09/29/2011 - 6:06pm

There is a way to stop the color seeping into the end grain, I had this problem when I first started doing this type of edging. As for the comparison on my comment it was meant to be complimentary, as a fellow paddle maker I sympathize with demand and troubles that go into making paddles for everybody and running a small business here in Hawaii. Paddlers just grab a paddle and paddle, most don't realize how much time goes in to making a paddle, and yes occasionally we have some problems. I give full respect to ALL who are making paddles from the biggest name to the smallest, the demand is great for paddles, I can't even get outside my own club as far as orders go. Makana Alii has one of the best reputations in the State and has a high demand for what they offer. From what I hear Les has helped Mana in the beginning to gain some knowledge on paddle making as well as many others. That shows that there is room for more people to try fill some of the vacuum in the market, we can only hope to come close to what the Look brothers have started and continue to offer the paddling community. Make a paddle and you'll appreciate the effort even if it isn't perfect. The titles of these threads on paddles make me cringe sometimes and often reflect what the paddlers do, not the guys who make 'em. Just my two cents.

#10 Fri, 09/30/2011 - 7:22am

Take care of your paddle/canoe, and it will take care of you.

#11 Fri, 09/30/2011 - 7:32am

SECONDDITCH -- you get this posting please contact me.... let's see if we can't make it right.

Fluidpaddler ... well put.
And you are correct that Les taught Danny from Mana Blades how to make paddles. And now Danny is playing the part of teacher to help us ( PaddleMe ) continue with the making te Mana Blades.
Danny is still very involved in the process and shaping but is passing his knowledge along. I have to say that we have also helped to improve the blades as well. So it is a team effort.

#12 Thu, 10/06/2011 - 2:14pm

PaddleMe: I don't have the paddle anymore. Besides, I bought the paddle before your company had any involvement with Mana Blades. I don't think you should be responsible in any way. Perhaps it is a good idea that your company now does customer service as the maker could not.

#13 Fri, 10/07/2011 - 10:08am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.206 seconds.