Molokai Solo, Advice?

After hearing of Alex Look, Les Look's son completing the Molokai Solo, the 32 mile race at only the age of 14, i got inspired, i set a goal for my self, i want cross the Kaiwi channel before age 18. at only age 15 now and almost turning 16, do they even allow juinors (18-) to participate in the race? if so, could anyone give me advice on it? how do i even find more information about it? how do i enter? Alex really inspired me, i want to achieve this goal i set for my self! Please help me out and give me information about it, like how to enter, ect..

-Mahalo!

Submitted by DerrickLiu on Thu, 09/08/2011 - 8:20pm

get in touch with Alex at Makana Alii paddles and train with him be on the water at least 3 times a week. Kailua great for training for Molokai but anywhwere will work. Main thing- make it fun.

#1 Thu, 09/08/2011 - 10:02pm

finding him is gonna be hard, and kinda gotta be a stalker to do that haha. thanks though,
but how would i enter the race? i cant find any contacts.

#2 Thu, 09/08/2011 - 10:24pm

First things first. You need to build your race history. Not anyone from off the street can enter the Solo. Get out and do the PA'A and Kanaka Ikaika series. Alex raced a bunch and did well. Long course too! So did Makana Darval-Chang. You need to prove to the race director that you're up to the race. More often than not, doing the molo relay is a manadatory prerequisite to doing the solo.

#3 Fri, 09/09/2011 - 12:35am

Information on how to enter along with all the rules/eligibility for the Molo Solo will be up when they update the PA'A website with the upcoming schedule.

http://www.paahawaii.com/

From the previous years information I looked at, one of the pre-requisites states that "The race director may refuse entry to anyone who cannot prove they are capable of paddling 6 miles in less than one hour." You need to list any and or all open ocean racing (24+ miles) you've competed in on the entry form so they can determine eligibility.

Try to get with someone from your club or where you practice who has done it before to pick their brains on what you would need to do to prepare for it.

Main thing would be to start getting some OC1 races under your belt to see where you are at in terms of your finishing times for distances. The Juniors that were allowed to race have shown their abilty in the PA'A and Kanaka Ikaika Racing Association races so you will need to as well. Both Associations require a Parent or Guardians consent for minors to race.

#4 Fri, 09/09/2011 - 12:58am

thanks for the help guys,
so im gonna have to do alot in just the 3 years i have if i want to meet my goal? how can i race in Pa'a? what clubs are associated with it?

#5 Fri, 09/09/2011 - 11:14pm

Getting out there and doing some of the races are the only way to see how you compare to the other paddlers.

No Club(s) are associated with PA'A. Anyone can race in the PA'A and Kanaka Ikaika races, minors need Parent or Guardians signature on the consent waiver forms for each race.

Kanaka Ikaika Racing Association already has their 2012 Race Schedule on their site below.

http://www.kanakaikaika.com/

The first PA'A race will probably be the Halloween Race at the end of October at Moanalua Bay. Hawaii Kai to Kaimana Beach approximately 8.5 miles. Followed by the Thanksgiving race in November and the Toy's 4 Tots race in December all from Hawaii Kai to Kaimana Beach.

Besides getting some racing history under your belt, you'll end up meeting a bunch of other paddlers from all over the island to become friends with. Some of them could also help you along the way in achieving your goal.

#6 Sat, 09/10/2011 - 12:52am

i can race in either to build my race history right?

#7 Sat, 09/10/2011 - 12:13pm

Alex Look is my hero.

#8 Mon, 09/12/2011 - 10:51pm

yup, i love that video!

#9 Tue, 09/13/2011 - 5:59pm

you can do both pa'a and kanaka ikaika, just make sure your parents go with you when you enter the races (so they can sign the waivers). i think the races are like 30 bucks a piece.

#10 Tue, 09/13/2011 - 8:56pm

for races, do i just show up? or do i have to register my self or something like that?

#11 Tue, 09/13/2011 - 9:13pm

DerickLiu:
Looks like you'll be having lots of company, because after watching this video, many jr. paddlers now want to do it, which is fantastic!!! Too bad no more jr's division for Molokai Hoe and Na Wahine?

#12 Tue, 09/13/2011 - 9:18pm

most of the time there is pre-registration that is online offered by the hosting association (Pa'a or Kanaka Ikaika) which saves you some bucks and saves time for the registration people. if you pre-register you will need your parents signature on the waiver. which is available on race day. You will have to register and sign a waiver for every race.

pretty much the things you will need on race day:
1. money and parent signature at registration tent. after you are registered you will get a ID sticker which you will then put on your canoe. it's like a license plate for your watercraft. it's how they will identify you when you cross the finish line. the sticker will stay on your canoe the entire paddling season.
2. canoe (make sure you have everything that comes with the canoe, you will be surprised that people forget some stuff on race day)
3. transportation

#13 Wed, 09/14/2011 - 12:30am

Eh! Come to think of it, wasn't there an Aussie wahine jr. paddler that also did the solo Molokai canoe race?

#14 Wed, 09/14/2011 - 11:44am

Yep, Jessie Mills-Toms, Mikes daughter. Dad paddled, Mum may have also.

#15 Wed, 09/14/2011 - 12:36pm

Now that's super terrific that four junior paddlers (3 males and 1 female) "ironmanned" the Kaiwi Channel. Mahalo Rambo for confirming that a jr. Aussie wahine paddler also did the solo Molokai race. Wonder if she was 15 or 16 years old?

#16 Wed, 09/14/2011 - 9:55pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.211 seconds.