Monday's V1 Training Sesh 2/28/2011

Monday's V1 training session! Enjoy!

Submitted by Kileki on Wed, 03/02/2011 - 7:58am

Nice...but did you let go of your paddle on the huli?

#1 Wed, 03/02/2011 - 9:03am

I was taught to let it go if I knew for sure that I was going to huli.

Also, for those V1 guru's here, any technique feedback would be greatly appreciated! Georges you out there?

#2 Wed, 03/02/2011 - 11:30am

Rambo posted this video a while back: http://www.ocpaddler.com/forum/2010/v1_basic_technique_video_slowmo
I'm no guru but your technique looks pretty solid. In the video, the guy seems to emphasize the high top hand as being one of the keys to overall efficiency, which is excellent advice, IMO. It almost looks like your paddle is a little too short or something, but take that w/ a grain of salt, because I know nothing about v-1.

#3 Sat, 03/05/2011 - 7:31am

No pro here, but my first thought was that the paddle is waaay short. I dont' get the reason behind letting go of the paddle.

#4 Sat, 03/05/2011 - 8:08pm

The paddle is a 49.5" double bend, however the blade itself is really long, which I think gives the appearance of the short paddle. In 6 & 9-man races I'm usually using a 51" quickblade.

#5 Sun, 03/06/2011 - 3:23pm

cool video. keep training and don't worry about everyone caught up in your blade length. some of the best in the world use different size blades depending on the conditions. as small as a 49" paddle for a 6'2" paddler... keep experimenting. i'm just an average joe but it took me a long time to find the ideal blade size, shaft length, and overall paddle height combination to use with a rudderless. all that changed again when i got a new canoe so i just keep experimenting. one thing about posting a vid of yourself is you are fair game for criticism from the peanut gallery. rambo's video has the best slo mo analysis of rudderless paddling. but also take a look at any of the Aito videos online. one thing you'll notice is that all the great paddlers all have very different techniques. in a single person canoe it seems there is a lot of leeway in what your body does as long as your paddle is efficient in it's interaction with the water.

#6 Sun, 03/06/2011 - 4:08pm

love that canoe. demoed one this weekend. pleasently suprised, speed. and the ama contol. as for tec. stear with your toes is a good v1. cool vidio.

#7 Sun, 03/06/2011 - 6:52pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.173 seconds.