OC-1 TEEN?s CHALLENGE the KAIWI CHANNEL - ALEX LOOK, THE YOUNGEST YET!

Now that everyone is "pau" recovering from a great time in the channel, I know with all the hoopla over the exciting finish of Kaiwi Channel World Champions Kai and Lauren Bartlett, there were four "fabulous" kids that made the amazing crossing for 2011.
Look for their names in the future crossings as they keiki fought the flat, hot, wind and waveless conditions to not only record the youngest person to cross the Kaiwi Channel in a one man canoe (OC1) - ALEX LOOK (14) Hawai‘i. The youngest Brothers to finish the crossing KAINOA (16, his second solo crossing) & MAKANA (15) DARVAL-CHANG, Hawai‘i and Youngest Female finisher JESSIE MILLS-THOM (16) from Australia.

Mai‘ka‘i! Hope this encourages other keiki to get into the water and train, as the adults continue to encourage them to become champions and represent their own "aina"!

A hui hou!

Submitted by lono on Wed, 04/20/2011 - 10:06am

interesting that there are channel races that still do not allow participants under 18. it's no wonder the youth movement it gravitating towards single person canoes for a competitive outlet.

congrats to all the young ones that were out there! your knowledge base and experience level will be bigger and stronger than any generation of paddlers yet. keep it up!!

#1 Wed, 04/20/2011 - 10:22am

need a like button!

#2 Wed, 04/20/2011 - 10:45am

Utterly fantastic!!! God, I still remember the days when parents had to lobby hard, so their minor age paddlers could do the long course instead of the short course for the Poai Puni races. These jr. paddlers have proven that they can do it, and have blazed a trail for others to follow. Hopefully, they will lower the age requirements for the Molokai Hoe and Na Wahine?

#3 Wed, 04/20/2011 - 10:53am

I know they were considering teens doing the Molokai Hoe again, but after the accident this year, I'm pretty sure they'll use it as an excuse to say no again.

#4 Wed, 04/20/2011 - 12:38pm

John Foti and Lanikai CC helped Kai with his paddling foundation when Kai got started. KAi mentored Pat Dolan- and the chain can continue building. Many people have helped the kids like Alex build confidence. Help the kids- take them on runs - get them stoked. There are some Honu's and Naia's out there that can surf and are perfect for kids who can't afford the latest design. The kids are the future.

#5 Wed, 04/20/2011 - 2:25pm

Well said. Help those who help kids.

#6 Wed, 04/20/2011 - 4:51pm

tremendous accomplishment, esp. in those conditions.. to just finish is awesome but then kainoa goes and finishes in the top 40! but you know what impress's me the most about kainoa,makana and alex? they're just good kids, so polite and humble. parents should be proud, not only for crossing the channel, but for the way they conduct themselves.

#7 Wed, 04/20/2011 - 5:17pm

"LIKE"

#8 Fri, 04/22/2011 - 9:49pm

It really is amazing to see the youth step up!!! I'm not that old myself, but I see these kids I just go, "dang had i been doing what they're doing when I was that old" I mean i didn't even start paddling till I was 14 and Alex just crossed his first solo. Those kids are going to be insane after going through that gauntlet, every other race will be a cake walk.

Hats off to the kids for there hard work and the people that helped them.

#9 Thu, 04/28/2011 - 10:13am

" Like" for all the reasons stated above.

With support like this in the paddling community - today we are rich.

Open Ocean Outriggers
www.kialoa.ca

#10 Tue, 05/03/2011 - 1:19pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.160 seconds.