OC-1 on truck racks

i have a 4 door 2003 tacoma (the smaller tacoma) with a 6 foot bed. i bought a bent bar rack that sits right behind the cab, and one for the top cab. i plan on placing my canoe upside down on rack pads, and was wondering, 1. should i pad the whole back rack, or just use surfboard 24" pads that are detachable? 2. how should i strap them down. should i buy 2 short straps and strap the canoe down individually to each rack, or use 1 long one and have it loop all the way around the canoe? any help would be great, thanks

Submitted by ryim on Thu, 10/13/2011 - 11:13am

I don't think you'll find any one person that racks their canoe in the same way, but this is what I do:

I travel with the V1 upside down.

I use one 24" surf pad on the back rack and one minicell v-cut pad for the front rack.

I have two Dakine 1.5" surfboard straps that I loop up and over the canoe to strap it down.

Don't forget your flag for the end of the canoe. I just got a ticket the other day for forgetting to put a flag on the end of my boat!

#1 Thu, 10/13/2011 - 11:38am

frackin coppers, I hardly ever put a flag on but my boat rides kinda high on my van..

#2 Thu, 10/13/2011 - 1:03pm

1. I say pad the whole rack both front and back as you may end up needing to carry more than just your own OC-1 if you plan on doing Hawaii Kai runs with others. Make sure you tape the ends so the pad doesn't slide down the sides of those bent aluminum bars.
  2. Buy 2 short straps (9 feet long should be the average) and strap each individually to each rack. Might want to get an extra set or two in case you need to carry more than your own canoe.

#3 Thu, 10/13/2011 - 1:08pm

It's hit or miss that you might get a ticket. But better to have one on than having to deal with a fine.

Simple way is to get some of those plastic flags from City Mill they use for lumber and just tape or loop it to your rudder bar.

Outrigger Connection and even Kamanu Composites had some pre-made flags for sale.

#4 Thu, 10/13/2011 - 1:13pm

This is how we roll.

truck with canoes

If I'm putting singles on I put them up front the spacing is further apart and I can see them.

#5 Thu, 10/13/2011 - 2:58pm

thanks for the info. does anyone know where i can get cheap straps and pads to for the bars? i talked to the guy at island paddler, and he said i could but a 48"pad to cover the whole back bar, but a a set (2 pads) is 50 bucks... he also said pipe insulation would work, but it decays fast. any thoughts?

#6 Fri, 10/14/2011 - 10:40am

Photobucket

#7 Fri, 10/14/2011 - 10:58am

Most people I know - myself included - use pipe foam and wrap it in duct tape or some other type of tape and it doesnt deteriorate quickly at all.

#8 Fri, 10/14/2011 - 4:56pm

You could always checkout some surfboard shops for the rack pads and straps. Not sure if they'll be any cheaper than those sold at Island Paddler, Go Banana's or the canoe manufacturers (OC and KC).

Pipe insulation foam will deteriorate if left exposed to the sun and air, but covering them up with cloth (canvas or nylon) and or wrapping tape (such as duct or the PVC wrapping tape) will keep them from decaying and flaking.

#9 Fri, 10/14/2011 - 8:31pm

Here, this will do.
Another unique product from Huki. These foam cradles will allow you to carry your Canoe or Kayak right-side-up on most any Bar system. One Set contains padding for both the front bar and the rear bar, and a front and rear pad for an ama. The arc of the hull supports are cut to fit any racing hull and can be spaced to fit any width of a racing paddle craft, and certainly fits every kind of Huki ever produced. The peel & stick adhesive on the bottom of the light gray pads will stick permanantly to the dark gray base. You simply match the foam supports to the width where your boat aligns with your rack bars, peel and stick the pads in place. Then mount your boat right side up and strap her down http://www.huki.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=144with cinch straps around the bars.

#10 Mon, 10/17/2011 - 5:48am

the bent bar racks are perfect. the front and back racks rest perfectly where the iakos on my canoe are suppose to go in. i just put it hull side down on some surf pads, and it does the job.

#11 Mon, 10/17/2011 - 10:38am

Just be careful carrying your canoe hull side down. Anytime you consistently put pressure on the same spot over and over its going to start to wear soft. Used to happen to me when I was new and carried my canoe on my shoulder. Wore a soft spot where I carried it. Same can happen on your hull.

#12 Mon, 10/17/2011 - 1:15pm

Its always a good idea to protect your investment. I just got into a Zephyr and noticed the quality of construction is really great. but its still like a new car when I'm walking away I look back at her.

#13 Tue, 10/18/2011 - 6:28am

Sadly, i got that same soft spot on my earlier canoe too, but i didn't know back then, haha. I figure, when you flick the hull, it sounds super hollow; but when you flick the top, it feels/sounds more solid. Also, by putting my canoe where it naturally gets some stress from the iako/ama, I'm placing my canoe where it is the strongest

#14 Tue, 10/18/2011 - 9:31am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.200 seconds.