Olympic Canoe Racers

We have kayak paddlers from Hawaii competing right now in the Pan American Games, I wonder why we don't have Olympic canoe paddlers from Hawaii competing in these games? I would think that Hawaii would be well represented with this form of high knee style of paddling with a single blade and mono hull? The last time I checked, the boats and paddles are available, just no paddlers? Maybe if the seat and ama are removed from a V1 and a pad installed, it might work? Anybody tried kneeling down in a V1?

Submitted by koacanoe on Thu, 10/27/2011 - 2:20pm

You are referring to a canoe called a Canadian Canoe or C-1 They also have C-2 and C-4 in the Olympics. They are very difficult to learn, and a paddler stays on one side for the whole race. I the past From Hawaii we had Wyatt Jones and a few other that tried. Wyatt did the best of the group making a few international teams. The last I knew there were a few C-1 the HCKT Halau. The best would thing to do is to contact HCKT, probably Guy or Shelling Wilding

#1 Fri, 10/28/2011 - 7:51am

Why would you want to paddle in flat water when you live in Hawaii?

#2 Fri, 10/28/2011 - 9:28am

OLYMPICS = Big pond !

#3 Sun, 10/30/2011 - 12:42am

I tried it years ago. on one of there training canoes and could not keep it straight. you have to stay on one side and its rudderless so to keep it straight you do a J stroke. It was only out of curiosity. you would think there is a system to learning that style of paddling. and under the right coach would easy to pick up. I found it easier to try the Kayaks. our kids crew had some marathon style ones and I would try them. and eventually got some surf ski's.

#4 Sun, 10/30/2011 - 4:46am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.180 seconds.