Osprey

Does anyone have any unbiased thoughts and info on this boat? A new dealer is selling them for a solid price out here new.

Submitted by JamesD3 on Sun, 11/20/2011 - 5:53am

I have a Fuze and love it. have thought about getting an osprey. Bt the fuze has no faults so preb stick with it. Maybe just a bit heavier than most. So i lost a few pounds to make up for it.

#1 Sun, 11/20/2011 - 7:10am

Saw one barely used one up north on the CORA website for sale... 2600 Can. $

I paddled one briefly found the footwells too narrow for me. But a well made boat.

#2 Sun, 11/20/2011 - 7:21am

If all races were downwind, I would probably love the outrigger connection boats. They are surfing machines. But all races aren't downwind and that's when you realize their limits. I loved my old stingray - it was like sitting in a '75 cadillac. But god forbid it be flat. Then it paddled like a '75 cadillac. Maybe the Osprey flattened the rocker a little.

#3 Sun, 11/20/2011 - 9:31am

I have been paddling and racing my Osprey in the SoCal area for 1.5 years now.It is fast downwind and upwind.I am 6' and 175 lbs about max for this small volume OC-1,the footwells felt narrow at first but I have grown to like it,sort of like a surf ski. I surf it at a right hand point break-it's awesome,but at the 2011 Tahoe Nalu 10 mile distance race I" redlined" myself in super flat conditions and finished 4th with a time of 1:34 - "rocker good for surf- bad for flats"
My Osprey was made in China and quality is excellent,light and tight- I do 90% beach launch and recovery thru the surf zone.

#4 Thu, 11/24/2011 - 6:06am

I weigh 168, so I would like to get a low volume OC1. I am currently on a Huki V1Z but its time for a new one. I paddle in mild, so-cal conditions. I have read some very good reviews of the Osprey. I have lower back issues, so I need a boat that is fairly stable. I understand the short waterline length of the ama, and overall low volume and width of the main hull make this boat a bit tippier than a standard size boat? Any feedback on the overall stability from Osprey paddlers, as compared to it's bigger brothers would be appreciated.

#5 Sun, 01/29/2012 - 12:20pm

I have an Osprey and an XS. I suggest you call Ocean Ohana and find out when the China XS shipment is coming and try both. I think you'll find the XS has a bit more glide in the flats and still surfs well. I weigh 160lbs.

#6 Sun, 01/29/2012 - 5:03pm

I thought it was just the fusion that was the bad boat for the flats. the Osprey is supposed to be more versatile right? I dont know never paddled one. along the the fuze

#7 Sun, 03/11/2012 - 9:21am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.193 seconds.