paddleleaks

Paddlers should be able to make a living from paddling. Karel, Jim and John Foti, Luke, Keizo, Kelly, and Johnny, Maui, Kai, Ron Cotteen, Ropati, Danny Ching... these are the guys we should be giving our business to, right? These guys are paddlers who make the things that make our sport better. 
But paddleleaks has learned of an interesting connection in this little world of ours. And I'd like to share with you:
There are many reasons to allow or not allow open design canoes to race in Hawaii. The HCRA has been the most resistant outrigger association in the world to allowing this change. Why is this? Of all the possible reasons out there, I bet most would never have guessed that the president of the HCRA, Kalani Irvine, is also the owner of the Chinese factory that manufactures OC canoes. Should the head of our organization be tied business-wise to a canoe builder?

The question to be asked is if our association is being led by a love for the sport, a love for money, or both?

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Stay tuned. 

Submitted by paddleleaks on Mon, 01/03/2011 - 3:51pm

Ummm, you mean OHCRA, not HCRA?
And, uhhh, what does paddleleaks do for a living? Is it something you love? Does it also make you money?
Do what you love, and the money will follow, or something to that effect.

#1 Mon, 01/03/2011 - 4:44pm

That's a helluva thing to say about a guy that has devoted his life to promoting this sport.

#2 Mon, 01/03/2011 - 6:24pm

I'm just asking the question. He stands to gain financially from rule making within the sport. It is important that everything be out in the open.

#3 Mon, 01/03/2011 - 7:14pm

Let me ask this question. Who are you? Anybody that wants to "out" somebody or company, should have the balls to use their real name rather than hide behind some username. Pretty lame of you.
As you say, it is important that everything be out in the open. Don't be a hypocrite. If this was my site, I would delete your thread until you made your comments out in the "open". Just my opinion of course.

#4 Mon, 01/03/2011 - 7:23pm

Owning a canoe company isn't necessarily a conflict of interest for any official. He would still make money if new designs come up. Probably more because the variety of models would increase. Nobody has a monopoly on building canoes. Go build a canoe mirage-bradley whatever style. Open up you china joint. As long as you are within the questionable OHCRA rules of boat design you are good to go.
I don't see Luke or Keizo or the Tresnaks and Bill Rosehill for example having any interest in arresting or stifling anyones designs. They and the Livestrongs are the ones which have embraced the journey rather then the destination. Progress comes through resistance and the HCRA has provided plenty of that. That's why the cherry finally popped and giant leaps are made driven by pent-up frustration and the urge to move forward. Shit happens when you get out of the comfort zone. On the same account the "open designers" are now providing very powerful resistance to the ones who had chosen destination too long ago on the day when canoe design was put on ice.
We'll see on which pile of history everybody lands eventually.
Paddleleaks has placed himself squarely on the excrement pile with his innuendo and lame attempt at wikileaks.
You got something for real. Put it out!! Don't be scared of your own opinion.
You ask us: "Should the head of our organization be tied business-wise to a canoe builder?"
What's it gonna be paddleleaks?

#5 Mon, 01/03/2011 - 7:46pm

does HCRA/OHCRA make rules for OC1's?

#6 Mon, 01/03/2011 - 8:39pm

Some people had a problem when VP Cheney's connection to Halliburton came out because of the US govt. contracts awarded to them. Some people didn't. Obviously some people don't care whether the president of OHCRA has any personal interest in what canoe you're allowed to race in. So no, I don't think it's appropriate for anyone who stands to make money off of their own rulings, to hold a position in which they should be making decisions for the benefit of paddlers.

#7 Mon, 01/03/2011 - 9:11pm

'paddlers be able to make a living from paddling' ?

Society generally rewards you according to your value to it.
The greatest value in paddling is paddling itself. There may be a market in the fitness industry, maybe in entertainment, some in tourism, some in propaganda. Not very much, it is not a product for every body.

That's why the people that you named, including Kalani, may end up in boat building, accessories, paddles.

Why don't you post with your own names ?

#8 Mon, 01/03/2011 - 9:48pm

Paddleleaks,
You are ignorant and spineless. You know very little about what the name of the association I am the president of as well as it's structure . I as president only vote to break a tie in the voting. Member clubs send representitives to the meetings to do business on behalf of its paddlers and to vote in it's paddlers best interest. Race rules can only be changed once a year at it's annual meeting. The reason I volunteered to put my name in was I to was frustrated with the process. As the head coach of Lanikai for many years I saw things that I did not feel was in our sports best interest. But unlike you I stepped up and tried to make a difference. It has been anything but a money making proposition. OHCRA as an association is bound by it's bylaws and race rules. In it's bylaws is it's mission statment. It is online if you would like to educate yourself. I did not make them up. They have not changed for years.

In an effort for full disclosure I was a partner in making OC canoes. I never made one penny on a oc-6. It was out of the scope of our business arrangment. I am no longer involved with OC. I am the head coach for the Lanikai Canoe Club men for the past two years. I coached a crew in the Paa E ono and will hopefully coach a crew for Olamau if we can arrange a competitive canoe to be built or borrowed in time. I am intrigued with the open canoes. I understand as a former world class paddler the allure of these canoes. My concern is for our sport the kids and the future of our sport. Can't tradition & culture coexist with modern technology? Why can't we have a different season for open canoes? All of the best paddlers paddle year round anyway. Are dial a crews good for our sport. How do we continue to provide structure for kids to learn and strive to be the best.
That's my full disclosure. Paddleleaks your turn.
Kalani Irvine
President OHCRA

#9 Mon, 01/03/2011 - 10:37pm

Thunder: as far as I am concerned, you still world class.

#10 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 2:01am

Well said Kalani!
Aloha,
Josh

#11 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 2:45am

Trolls.....gotta love em. I actually think this leaks guy is someone already on this forum but just added another profile to stir stuff up. Think about it, Who do we know has trolled before but never has been forthcoming? Hmmmmm, I'm just sayin'.

#12 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 8:02am

Well done, Kalani. Case closed.

#13 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 10:01am

The identity of paddleleaks is unimportant; knowing who authored the allegations in this case does not affect their validity one way or the other.

It is also good that this posting was not deleted; that would only give further ammunition to those that imagine a conspiracy.

I believe that anyone reading this thread will emerge with only increased respect for Kalani Irvine, the high regard in which he is held by the paddling community, and his integrity and service to the sport.

Paddleleaks, not so much. If this is an example of the "tip of the iceberg", as you state in your original post, please do a little more due diligence before posting next time. For your own good and ours.

#14 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 10:33am

People somehow have skewed ways of looking at things... they should be heard and then they should be corrected. That is what works with this forum. If they are way off base they get some good cracks...and deserved. Obviously what was first stated is far from reality and the cracks are well deserved. Kalani ...mahalo for your service to this sport and paddleleaks....I really do not understand where you are coming from.or what you are trying to say? Makes no sense. Throw that pipe away.

#15 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 5:07pm

or better still like the American Indians .... pass that pipe around ..!!! :>)

R

#16 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 5:15pm

Depends what is in it !

#17 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 5:26pm

Peace-pipe man,,, no madda

#18 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 5:40pm

Thankyou Rambo for making light of my "pipe" ascertion. Wish that was not included but wanted to say that the beginning post really did make sense. A partner in a factory in China making OC 1's somehow was colluding with the powers that be to disallow changes in sanctioned OC'6 canoes so that they could somehow profit by that collusion. It is such a fantasy that I thought maybe it was chemically derived... that is why I mentioned the "pipe". It is probably more organic then that. and .just a delusion.

#19 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 5:51pm

poidog, i can ONLY make light of the situation, this issue is for Hawaiian's and Hawaiian Paddlers only to sort out. I hope things can be resolved for the good of the sport. It's sad to see things like this.

I only offer one thing, how can you compete graciously with the Tahitians when there is no unity.

What was that saying? ... United we stand.. divided we fall.

R

#20 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 6:59pm

I do not think this thread has anything to do with very much and maybe a lot of us paid too much attention to it. I think the boys out there who are competitive are hui kahi...and will be gracious and not talk stink and will compete in the same manner.

#21 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 7:53pm

Then it's in good hands.

#22 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 9:38pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.172 seconds.