paddles

I Have no experience in rudderless but paddled OC1's for 15 years in AUS. I have been looking at paddles variations for VAA ruderless paddling. I have noticed alot of double bend larger paddles. Are there any preferrences or does it come down to location and history of the sport ? or the paddler preference. i have never paddled one and there are not any VAA's where i live.So no chance to trial different canoes. ANY advice welcome.
cheers.

Submitted by boss on Mon, 10/31/2011 - 12:07am

I really like the double-bend with my V1.

I have found that I have better steering control and an overall better feeling stroke with the double bend.

#1 Mon, 10/31/2011 - 4:57am

boss.. to my understanding the idea behind a larger blade for true va'a paddling is to get more bite during steering strokes. It's easier to steer with a bigger blade face.

The double bend is also personal preference but I've heard guys say it allows for a better body positioning on a rudderless.. take it at face value, it's all how it feels for you

#2 Mon, 10/31/2011 - 7:32am

Check out the Olympic canoe paddlers, for they all seem to paddle the same straight-shaft and square-tip paddles and seem to have no problem going straight and paddling only on one side. As I seem to recollect, the old lagoon canoes were all paddled with straight shaft and large blade paddles, which came in handy during the Bastille Day Race. What ever happen to that race? Can't find any videos of the race on the internet.

#3 Mon, 10/31/2011 - 2:09pm

a tear drop shape with shoulders as opposed to the rice scoop shape paddle with low shoulders seems to work better for me. my personal preference is for double bend but I know there are world class V-1 paddlers who use straight shaft paddles as well.

#4 Mon, 10/31/2011 - 2:23pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.183 seconds.