Paddling after high school

A friend told me 2 high school girls who paddle in the ILH signed their letters of intent today for rowing being recruited through canoe paddling
with big scholarships being handed out, thats awesome, does this happen often?

Submitted by dlee on Tue, 11/15/2011 - 9:23pm

No it doesn't. This is a new trend. It is getting difficult for colleges to recruit as youth rowing programs in the mainland are getting scarce. Physically, outrigger paddlers are competitive with rowers and they have a knack for timing and blending. This is a new, untapped pool of talent for them.

#1 Tue, 11/15/2011 - 11:14pm

On the east coast U.S., in my area, I may not see many paddling programs for youth...but rowing is EXPLODING. Most every high school in my area has..or is starting a crew club and kids are going crazy for it. They're starting to train kids in middle school in prep for high school. On one of the waterways where I paddle, I used to see maybe one or two rowing shells out with me. Now it's like Grand Central Station with 15 to 20 boats out at one time...PLUS their coaches on launches!

#2 Wed, 11/16/2011 - 7:43am

DrewP - where is this happening? Newport Aquatic Club in Calif has had a big crew program for kids due to the Schlorship benefit.

#3 Wed, 11/16/2011 - 8:13am

We've had several students get scholarships for crew from our High School program for the past 8+ years.
It's been a good resource, and for us, not so new. But we are looking forward to the opportunities to expand.

#4 Wed, 11/16/2011 - 9:33am

At the recent Row for the Cure in Mission Bay, there was a huge amount of shells out.

#5 Wed, 11/16/2011 - 9:57am

Back in the mid nineties, an ocean going rowing shell was a frequent participant in the Kanaka Ikaika races. The rower was very fast and usually placed in the top 10. He'd train in Kailua Bay and never in the Ala Wai. Talk about distance per stroke: he probably took less than 300 strokes to get from Manana to Popoia going backwards all the way. But speaking of high schools, Iolani has got the ideal location for a boathouse of racing shells? Maybe they can rent out space to other high schools? After all, many of Hawaii high school graduates matriculate to colleges and universities where rowing is big time.

#6 Wed, 11/16/2011 - 12:40pm

I used to coach and work at a high school. I have had 2 girls that were offered rowing scholarships sight on seen by the college representatives that visit the school. Large colleges too. Some colleges are dying to give girls scholarships because of title 9.

I am always amazed because there's only a litle crossover between paddling and rowing

#7 Wed, 11/16/2011 - 9:59pm

I'm talking about the Cooper River in New Joisey where a brand new boathouse was constructed about 3 years ago (I keep my OCs on a rack there). There are several national intercollegiate and high school events held here each year. We are also right across the river from Philly and boathouse row on the Schuylkill River where collegiate and high school rowing is big. Unfortunately, at the high school level, I think many of the programs are unsponsored "clubs" where the kids and parents have to do what they can to raise support. I think this is changing though. I think the kids (and the parents) are smelling the scholarship potential around here too.

#8 Thu, 11/17/2011 - 2:46am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.189 seconds.